I need pattern help!

mrs_holman

Question

Hey ladies, I am in need of some help. I have a pattern for a baby afghan but am unclear on some of the instructions. I am fairly new to crocheting, and have figured out the stitches (thanks to a different book!) but am unclear about this set. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Here are the instructions:

With White, ch 198 loosely. (I did that with no problem)

Row 1: (right side) DC in fourth ch from hook (3 skipped chs count as first dc) and in next 8 chs, ch 3, dc in next 10 chs. *skip next 2 chs, dc in next 10 chs, ch3, dc in next 10 chs; repeat from * across: 180 dc and 9 ch-3sps.

I pretty much got this done, but was unclear about the last portion (the 180 dc and 9 ch-3 sps.) I wasn't able to get 180 dc and couldn't understnad the 9 ch-3 sps part.

Row 2: Turn; skip first dc, work FPdc around each of the next 9 dc, (dc, ch 3, dc) in next ch 3 sp, work FPdc around each of the next 9 dc, * skip next 2 dc, work FPdc around each of the next 9 dc, (dc, ch 3, dc) in next ch 3 sp, work FPdc around each of next 9 dc; repeat from * across to last dc, leave remaining dc unworked.

For this part, I am unclear WHERE to do the (dc, ch 3, dc) and unsure about what the "in next ch 3 sp).

I really appreciate your help. I really wanted to do this blanket, but if I can't figure it out...obviously I can't! :)

Keyshia

3 answers to this question

Hi Keyshia,

Welcome to Crochetville!

It reads like you are making a variation of a ripple afghan (one that zigzags). The base row sets this up by having you crochet 10 dc's and alternating between skipping 2 chains after one set of 10 dc's, and chaining 3 (ch 3)after the 2nd set. The pattern here is 10 dc, skip 2 chains, 10 dc, chain 3. and is repeated until you get to the end of the row of 198 chains. You must have to do that 9 times until you get through all the 198 chains.

So...when you've finished the first row, you will have chained 3, 9 times in total. The chain 3's make a little space (thus "ch 3 space") like a hole in the crochet. (I hope I am making this clear!) When you turn to do the 2nd row, after you do your 9 front post dc, you should come to a chain 3 space which you can use to crochet the dc,chain 3, dc. This eventually will look like the top of a wave I hope this helps. Let me know!

Diane,

Thank you so much for the welcome and the help! It worked perfectly and made total sense once you explained it. :) I am not sure what I was doing wrong, but I had it ALL wrong. :) So far I am on my 4th row and it looks great. Thank you again for your help.

Keyshia

Hi Keyshia,

I am so glad I could help! Enjoy your project, and I hope to meet you again around the board. :)

Archived