Incorrectly sized hooks?

Saturday I bought a "Knit-Chek" for checking hook and needle sizes and stitch gauges. Until then I'd been using a tape measure and since I was checking my new bamboo hooks this week I got the urge to check my Boyes and when I did so I was sure my N-9mm was not 9mm, nor my K hook 6.5mm. But of course I was just holding them to a tape measure. So today I thought about it again and and opened up the Knit-Chek and put all my hooks to the test and they're all fine, my Bates H hook, my bamboo hooks and all my Boye hooks except the K and the N-9mm. The K is larger than 6.5mm and the N-9mm is 8mm, just as I suspected! I know, I know, it's one millimeter, maybe just half a millimeter for the K hook but .. isn't there some principle being violated here?

Oh well, especially since I have both a 6.5 and a 9 among my bamboo hooks now, I guess I'll get over it.

boyeN9mmhook.jpg

Lots of hooks of recent vintage are not accurately sized due to lack

of quality control. Your Knit-Check also is not totally accurate. The only way you can get a truly accurate measure is with a professional quality

metal gauge designed for measuirng wire diameter.

But small differences don't really matter that much in crocheting. The resulting gauge is what matters.

Jean Leinhauser

http://www.creativepartnersllc.com

Of course, you are right about gauge. I never seem to get the needed gauge with the suggested size hook anyway but if my hand needs a 9mm to make the gauge I need I won't be reaching for my Boye anymore however the larger K hook might be useful and I don't suppose you can have too many hooks of any size :D

Archived