How do I attach circles??

I found a 'groovy' afghan in an old 60's instruction book that was made up of tons of different size/colored circles, then the circles are attached by what seems to be single chains that you switch colors in randomly.

My problem is that I can't figure out how to start!

My first guess would be to start by making single chains (or whatever other stitch I'd want to use) a few layers thick, then start adding the circles in. (I've made my 50 or so circles already) HOW do I attach the circles though?

I'm so confused and I've tried so many times to do this, yet I still have my huge bag of circles up on the closet shelf....lots of coasters right now!

Anyone have any ideas what I'm talking about and how to do it? I can't find the book I got the idea from and I couldn't understand the instructions anyway.

I'm the type that can usually always make something just by looking at it, but this one has me stumped!

:think

Join the yarn to a circle, sc, chain however many chains you want, then sc back in the circle on around. (for this example let's say you'll ch 7, skip next 4 sc, sc in 5th sc around). Make as many rows of chains in as many colors as you wish. Break off yarn, weave in ends. Then join yarn to the next circle, sc, chain, sc, etc. When you're ready to join it to the next motif, ch 3, sc in any ch 6 loop on the other motif, ch 3 and sc in the next ch 6 loop on the same motif. How many joins per motif depends on their size. You might have to fudge a bit to get all the loops joined with other loops but it shouldn't be too difficult.

I suck at directions. :irk Sorry. If you have access to an Irish crochet book it's the same principle, just not as dainty.

Archived