Edited for readability: Is this pattern correct? Chinese acrobat hat

andrushechka

Question

Hey! So, as stated, I'm having trouble with the "Chinese acrobat" pattern from the Shannon Mullett-Bowlsby book "Heady Affairs".

Before I go into the problem, I should disclose I have now attempted this pattern three times (without finishing the first attempt, and unraveling the second attempt), and on my first attempt, I didn't have any problems. I don't think I followed the directions correctly, however, (I appear to have overlooked the Ch 1 at the beginning of the rnds and the slip stitch at the end) because on my second attempt, the back seam came out very differently.

This second time, I was 99.99% positive I was following the pattern correctly. But these chains and slip stitches at the beginning and end of every rnd were forming a most conspicuous gap for a back seam. Not liking it, and remembering how good it looked on my first attempt over a year before, I unraveled my second attempt and redid it for a third time my way, in hopes I would emulate the way I did it the first time.

No luck -- this third and most recent time, the swirling pattern came out skewed (i.e. disproportionately wide) where it crosses the back seam. This is connected, I am convinced, to my realization that I couldn't simply skip the ch 1 or slip stitch, so I added an extra FPdc or BPdc to take the place of those stitches...

IMG_1130_zps9118de61.jpg

Confusing, even with the picture, I know. Hopefully sharing the relevant part of the pattern (it follows rows 1-48/60 of ribbing) will help me make more sense --

• Foundation Rd (Right side): Ch 1, do not turn, work 60{72} hdc evenly spaced across end of rows; being careful not to twist ribbing, join with slip st to first hdc: 60{72} hdc.
  • Rnds 1 and 2: Ch 1, work FPdc around each of next 6 sts, work BPdc around each of next 6 sts, ★ work FPdc around each of next 6 sts, work BPdc around each of next 6 sts, repeat from ★ around; join with slip st to first FPdc.
  • Rnd 3: Ch 1, work BPdc around first st, work FPdc around each of next 6 sts, ★ work BPdc around each of next 6 sts, work FPdc around each of next 6 sts, repeat from ★ around to last 5 sts; join with slip st to first BPdc.
  • Rnd 4: Ch 1, work BPdc around each of first 2 sts, work FPdc around each of next 6 sts, ★ work BPdc around each of next 6 sts, work FPdc around each of next 6 sts, repeat from ★ around to last 4 sts; join with slip st to first BPdc.
  • Rnd 5: Ch 1, work BPdc around each of first 3 sts, work FPdc around each of next 6 sts, ★ work BPdc around each of next 6 sts, work FPdc around each of next 6 sts, repeat from ★ around to last 3 sts; join with slip st to first BPdc.

And on it goes, creating [supposedly] the swirling effect you see on the woman's hat below:

headyaffairscover_zpsf8fc7964.jpg

In effect, this mess of attempts is why I'm asking if the language of pattern looks correct.

Any and all assistance would be greatly appreciated. I'm traveling to Finland in three weeks and I want this pattern to keep me warm!

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet

Archived