Don't understand these instructions. Help!

Elorahd

Question

I'm a little new to crochet. I found a pattern for a necklace but I'm not understanding the instructions for the band. Can someone translate this for me or know of a link that'll show me how to do this? I can't figure out what vertical thread she's talking about. It sounds a little convoluted and I'm lost. :(

NECKLACE

Double Base Chain: With crochet hook, ch 2; insert hook into 2nd ch from hook (the first ch made) and work 1 sc; * insert hook into single vertical thread forming the LH side of the previous sc and work another sc. Rep from * until ch measures 19”.

5 answers to this question

Is the pattern available online somewhere? If you can link to it so we can take a look, it might help us figure it out. 

Without looking at the pattern, though, it sounds like a version of foundation single crochet, to me. There's a great tutorial on that here: http://snuffykin.livejournal.com/43642.html 

The pattern is not exactly the same as the fsc shown in the tutorial but the process is about the same. You would follow the tutorial up to step 3, at which point you would draw through both loops instead of just one as shown in the tutorial. 

If you look ahead in the pattern, the next row is dc then there is a third row of sc. That dc row should add a decent amount of width to it. Are you using the recommended yarn, or are you substituting something else? I just worked up a small swatch those 3 rows using the only worsted weight yarn I have at the moment since that's what weight the recommended yarn is (though just because they're both called worsted doesn't mean they're exactly the same) and it is about an inch wide. 

Ok. That makes more sense. I was just stuck on that "vertical thread" language, but you did an FSC and it turned out like the picture?

I originally thought I could use crochet thread but I think that's going to be much too small so I got some worsted to use.

Yes, it looked like the picture. Mine was a bit more open than the picture, but my gauge might not match the designers in addition to the possibility of some differences in the yarn. 

I was actually thinking that might look really pretty done in thread. It would be smaller, of course. You can easily play around with this one to find something that will be the size you want. For the fsc row I just worked till it was about 5 inches long and then moved on to row 2. Just work to the end of the row, and if there's an extra stitch at the end it doesn't matter since it's just a swatch, and then do row 3. It should not take more than a few minutes, and you'll get to see exactly what size it will be with your given yarn (or thread) and hook. 

Archived