horizontal thread st back of sts

smacduff

Question

2 answers to this question

It really is not as tricky as it sounds! I've used that technique for years; it creates a fabric that resembles knitting. There are loads of patterns that use it, and lots of tutorials online though it can be tricky to know what search term to use because usually "crochet that looks like knitting" will pull results for tunisian crochet which is not what this is. I don't know what else you would search for though as I'm not sure if there is a specific name for the technique or not.

Basically, if you look at the hdc stitches, there's a horizontal "bar" that lies under the top loops. By working into that bar instead of the top loops of the stitch like you normally would, you force the top loops of the stitch you are working into to lie in a way that they will look like knit stockinette stitches on your fabric. 

This blog post has some pretty clear pictures to show how to do it (unfortunately a lot of the other posts I am aware of that explain this technique are not very clear or do not include clear photos): http://jennozkan.com/2010/12/crochet-ribbed-scarf-its-like-knitting-only-better/

Archived