Ribbed Tam Hat

Trinket

Due to a health condition, I have thin hair that is only going to get thinner. So I figured I should make some nice fashion hats to wear to sort of hide my lack of hair and protect my scalp from the sun.

The pattern is called the Phannie Sunburst Beret, which is free. I did make an alteration to the first few rows because they didn't seem right to me, but you can't see it in my photos...

ribbedtam1.jpg

ribbedtam2.jpg

ribbedtam3.jpg

Pictures aren't that great because I had to take them by myself. I forgot to take a picture of it while it was being blocked to show how the very top part of it looks...

I'm not looking too happy in that first one because I'd just gotten home from work and someone had hurt my feelings. :blush

I used Luxor 100% wool yarn (it's an Italian yarn) and a G hook.

I think I'll wear it tomorrow when I go out on a photography excursion! :D

Your tam is beautiful :clap You did a wonderful job... you are gifted and talented, and NOBODY can take that away from you :manyheart.

Aww, thank you! :blush:manyheart

Nice hat!!! You did a nice job on it.

Did you find the pattern small? Just wondering cause the last time I tried one it turned out too small. Teapot

Nice hat!!! You did a nice job on it.

Did you find the pattern small? Just wondering cause the last time I tried one it turned out too small. Teapot

Sort of... Which is interesting that you bring up. I seem to have a problem with almost every crocheted hat I make. They all seem to come out too small! I feel like this one in particular should have come out bigger, as it's a little smaller than it seems like it should be compared with the one in the pictures on the pattern. But it's not so small as to make me dislike it. It did block out a little bigger, too, which was good. However, I think that if I had used double knitting weight yarn rather than worsted weight, it MIGHT have turned out too small. Also, I would have used an H hook instead of a G hook if I had thought about it more. So if you like your hats a little larger and you're interested in making this hat, I would suggest worsted yarn with at least a size H hook. I didn't change hook sizes at the end like it said, but I wasn't following the pattern exactly by that point, either.

Archived