Any plans for another lace Kal?

wiz3283

I was just wondering if anyone else was thinking about another lace Kal. I am just starting to get the hang of some new stitches so I am still a beginner but I would love to join a Kal if we have another one.

Tammy, I don't know. Mamaoso was our fearless leader on the other one. She doesn't pop in quite as often as some of the rest of us so maybe she will answer you soon. I don't feel qualified to lead something like this, especially since I am gnashing teeth over a stretchy lace bindoff at the moment. Also, if your KAL went back to Branching Out, I am sure I wouldn't be interested. Even though I made it that once and I learned a lot while doing it, the pattern just never has appealled to me very much. As for something else, I would probably make a decision based on whatever criteria was chosen for the KAL. Maybe a generic Knit Whatever Lace You Want might entice me in. :D

So what patterns do you think you might be up to? I've watched some beginners jump out into fairly complex lace right away (Catheryn, for example) while others want to test the waters by dipping in a little toe.

I love the idea of a knit whatever lace you want. I am just learning to read charts and want to jump into lace but nothing too difficult yet. I know there are others who are much more advance than I am so they may not be interested in anything too simple. That's why I like the whatever you want idea.

I guess I will see what eeyone else wants to do. If there are no takers then I will just have to go off on my own.

I was surprised at just how complex Branching Out turned out to be and I think maybe Mamaoso was, too, from something she said on that KAL. The designer intended to give beginners a narrow scarf which incorporates most the major stitches you will encounter in lace knitting, I believe. She accomplished that.

I need to get my Twinings bound off and am having trouble making it stretchy enough. This is so frustrating. I'm done. DONE, except for the bindoff and blocking. I tried one BO method after another last night and nothing seemed right. Grrrrrrrr... Maybe I should just pick a method and then not look at it while I'm working. :think = :eek Once Twinings is finished (?) I have yarn and patterns for more lace so if you started a Lace of Your Choice KAL I very well might join.

If you want some simple lace with good directions, both written out and charted, and you don't mind buying a pattern take a look at some of the simpler projects from Knitspot by Anne Hanson. Hers are particularly well-written and quite a few of them are suitable for beginners. Take a look through her neckwarmers and her little nothings to see if something works for you. She usually tells you in the text if that pattern is suitable for beginners. After knitting a few of her patterns, I've become a real fan. In fact, I've got the patterns for Coral Gables and for Alhambra waiting in the wings.

Carla I love your twinings. I am going to take a look at those patterns you mentioned too. I don't really know what I will do yet. I am thinking the do your own thing Kal just might be the answer.

You might get more takers that way. And the experienced lace knitters could help the less experienced ones along.

Oh, for a pattern you might also mamaoso's list of Free, Simple Lace Patterns. Some of them are quite nice although having not made the vast majority, I can't tell you how well done the instructions are or how simple they are without looking back through the patterns. I know I prefer to have both written instructions and a chart, although once I get going I use the chart exclusively. If I remember right, not all of these have charts.

Hi ladies, It's me.. I been off doing fun stuff.. Working on socks. I'm in a Mystery Sock KAL with beads. We are on Clue #4 out of 7. Having fun..

If you want to do another KAL why don't you look for a pattern and them we can vote on them and find out what we want to do..

On another forum I'm doing a doily KAL/CAL in June.. My first knitted doily.....I'm going to knit one..:eek

Hi ladies, It's me.. I been off doing fun stuff.. Working on socks. I'm in a Mystery Sock KAL with beads. We are on Clue #4 out of 7. Having fun..

If you want to do another KAL why don't you look for a pattern and them we can vote on them and find out what we want to do..

On another forum I'm doing a doily KAL/CAL in June.. My first knitted doily.....I'm going to knit one..:eek

I think we were talking about a Lace Do-Your-Own-Thing KAL, mamaoso. That way if a lace newbie wants to join she can, and so can those who have more experience. Each can ask questions and help the other. How does this sound? Or maybe you have some better insight than I do and realize everyone doing the same thing would be best? Help us here.

Which doily will you be making? I'm lining up Frosted Ferns by Herbert Niebling for as soon as I finish my current crocheted one.

mamaoso that is pretty. I would be up for a anything goes lace Kal. June 1 sounds like a good start date to me. I have a few wips I need to get off my plate or frog so I could use this as my reward to get them finished.

Cool! Let's do it! Herbert Niebling's Frosted Ferns is what I want to do. I particularly love this knitter's version of it. Apparently there is more than one edging and I think hers comes together perfectly.

— Wait. I just remembered I called my orthopedist about hand surgery this morning. :oops I have no date yet but it's going to happen, I just don't know when. Rats, rats, rats. (Carla, you dummy, your enthusiasm is running away with you.) OK, I have no idea whether I can do this in June or not. We'll see. Carla wanders off muttering harsh things about Senior Brain...

Nooooooooo!!! I may not have that surgery until later in the summer. You need to start the KAL without regard to my silly schedule. Besides, the ortho put a shot into my hand which has helped a whole lot although it unfortunately didn't cure my trigger finger like it does for some people. That's why surgery is still in the offing.

I am hugely grateful for the pain relief from the shot, too. :D

I am for the KAL :clap Carla aren't those shots great !! I get them in my wrist by my thumb and on my knees ..I will need my knees replaced but I don't want to go under the knife just yet ..:eek..I am hoping for a new way to do them ..:yes

Hey I found this pattern from Lion Brand that looks like the Berroco one but there is not cables in this one ..

http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/60500.html

Oh Carla that pattern is gorgeous. I say if you want to start sooner go for it. That way if you have your surgery in june you will at least have gotten a jump on it. I will pray for you that alll goes well for you. Let us know what happens.

I am frantically trying to finish some wips and trying to decide on a pattern for the Kal. I have managed to finish one Wip off but still have quite a bit more to go to get them to a reasonable amount. I keep finding things I want to make but am forsing myself to say "not now." Unfortunatly my "later" file is growing pretty big. Darn this ADD. It will not control me, I will control it. Yeah right!

Archived