Pieces of Eight: A study in Bullion

Katchkan

VERY pretty! It never ceases to amaze me just how different a piece can look simply by turning it a quarter turn! Those look like two entirely different doilies!

• 2 weeks later...
Lovely!

I've done the that stitch in lace baby booties.

I do not have a cro-tat hook and it was difficult to draw through all of the wraps. My solution was to take a drinking straw and cut it the length of the shaft (the part of the hook between the hook and the thumb grip) and slice it up the side, I placed it on my hook, rolling it tight to the hook. When making the stitch, I made the wraps around the straw when drawing through I would go through the straw. When finishing the stitch, I would pop the straw off. (I know I'm not explaining very well, but it worked for me!)Here is a picture of the results. http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y294/bethintx/Buillonbooties2.jpg

Sorry for the thread hi-jack!

That's ingenious.

• 1 month later...

Your talent is staggering, Kathy!!

Hay I just had a thought about converting a Boye hook to do bullions. What if you sanded down the lip on a Boye a bit, enough to make it "in line"? I'm intrigued.

I'll start a new thread and see if anyone's tried it.

Bullion is so notoriously difficult. I have never mastered it but then, I don't have a proper hook either. (Odd, but I also embroider and LOVE to do embroidered bullions. They look so much alike, crocheted and embroidered ones.) Maybe one day I'll conquer it. In the meantime, this is a stunner of a doily, Kathy. Scratches head. Maybe someday I'll conquer bulllions and buy this pattern from you!

The doily is absolution stunning. I've never done a bullion stitch. It will be something that I would like to attempt in the near future. I would love to have this pattern also. It is so unique. To me, it's breathtaking.

Fabulous job!

Archived