Pieces of Eight: A study in Bullion

Katchkan

I sometimes challenge myself to use a stitch for my basis of a design. For this one I chose the bullion stitch. I also was playing with different shapes. So needless to say this one was a true challenge for me. The hardest part was getting it written up where it made sense.

But I am very pleased with the overall effects of this doily. I think it might just be worth the extra time and effort I put into this one. What do you think.

post-709-135897404358_thumb.jpg

It measures 10.75 square. I used size 10 ecru thread to give it the old fashioned look I was going for. I used my boye size 7 hook for most of the piece except the bullion stitches which I used my vintage Susan Bates hook for. There are lots of bullion stitches on this one.

post-709-135897404356_thumb.jpg

I can't really see the bullion stitches from the small pics but the doily itself is just stunning. You could write up 2 versions of it for the people that just can't quite get the bullion st.

It's amazing how different a piece looks when it's turned. I just love it standing on the point.

Lovely!

I've done the that stitch in lace baby booties.

I do not have a cro-tat hook and it was difficult to draw through all of the wraps. My solution was to take a drinking straw and cut it the length of the shaft (the part of the hook between the hook and the thumb grip) and slice it up the side, I placed it on my hook, rolling it tight to the hook. When making the stitch, I made the wraps around the straw when drawing through I would go through the straw. When finishing the stitch, I would pop the straw off. (I know I'm not explaining very well, but it worked for me!)Here is a picture of the results. http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y294/bethintx/Buillonbooties2.jpg

Sorry for the thread hi-jack!

That is really, *really* amazing. I suppose the bullion stitches are used in the solid bands? I can't really see them, either, but that seems to make sense. Awesome design, Kathy. A real winner!

Thank you Everyone for you lovely comments. I love being able to share my passion with all of you. I am definitely addicted to creating these doilies.

threadlover

That is so different and pretty. I can't do the bullion stitch yet. I need to get a different hook and practice. What kind of hook works best?

Marcia

For bullion stitches I use what is called an In-line hook, That means the head of the hook and the shaft are the same diameter. You can tell this by looking at it from the back, If it seems to go straight down it is an inline hook. If it seems to taper it is not.

The older Susan Bates hooks are inline hooks. I have a set that I save just for doing my bullion stitches.

missmaxxVery nice

I love bullion stitches. Can you tell us where we could buy the pattern?

I am sorry but it will be awhile until I release the pattern. I just completed the design, I still have 2 rnds to finish writing later today. Then comes testing. Then I will decide what I want to do with it. There is a lot that goes into producing a good pattern.

RoseRed I can't really see the bullion stitches from the small pics but the doily itself is just stunning. You could write up 2 versions of it for the people that just can't quite get the bullion st.

It's amazing how different a piece looks when it's turned. I just love it standing on the point.

I don't see myself doing a second version without the bullion stitches. But who knows I might someday. But for now I have other projects calling to me.

bethintx1Lovely!

I've done the that stitch in lace baby booties.

I do not have a cro-tat hook and it was difficult to draw through all of the wraps. My solution was to take a drinking straw and cut it the length of the shaft (the part of the hook between the hook and the thumb grip) and slice it up the side, I placed it on my hook, rolling it tight to the hook. When making the stitch, I made the wraps around the straw when drawing through I would go through the straw. When finishing the stitch, I would pop the straw off. (I know I'm not explaining very well, but it worked for me!)

Personally I can not imagine wrapping my hook with a straw each time I wanted to make a stitch. Would have driven me bonkers with as many bullion stitches as this piece has. Your booties are really cute.

I'd LOVE to test this one! I use a regular hook for bullion stitches. So far it hasn't been a problem.

You write beautiful patterns. I have your shawl from "Beyond the Block" in my queue.

I'll be watching for this one!

When I looked at the picture all I could do was take a very deep intake of air and as I was breathing out all I could say was - Wow. It is absolutely goregous. It definitely is a labor of love. Thank you so much for sharing it. :manyheart

Archived