Houston Holocaust Museum - Butterflies needed

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad this came back to the top. I'd be honored to contribute some butterflies. This is a great little "Sit and Wait Project." I love the symbolism they are reaching for. Hope the goal is met and can't wait to see pictures of so many butterflies together. It will be beautiful but so sad to think of what they represent -- so many lives......

Here are just a few links for crocheted butterflies on Ravelry. There were many more. You can also just do a google search for free crocheted butterfly patterns and you'll get even more links. You can make a variety of different butterflies.

http://www.crochetnmore.com/butterfly.htm

http://curtnlinds.blogspot.com/2011/04/get-hooked-3-...

http://www.allfreecrafts.com/crochet/crocheted-butte...

I have one that I've adapted, of a thread butterfly which I love to make, and have sent for this project. And I have similar patters for the "3-D" butterfly, which it looks like your links also go to...the 8-sided shape that you fold over... Thought I'd like to try Nira's. I think, thanks to the links, I have enough of a mental picture that I could try one. I'll play with my scrap yarn and see what comes of it.

Thanks for posting these extra links too...I'm sure they will be helpful for many others who will want to play.

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone does plastic canvas a google search for "free plastic canvas butterfly patterns" should yield some more links. I'm sure there might also be some sewing patterns. You could also paint some on plastic stencil sheets with paint or permanent markers. You could even paint some on poster boards: make beaded ones; make them out of felt, etc.. There are gazillions of different craft styles you could use. Just use you imagination

• 5 months later...

*bump* :U

Just peeked at the Butterfly Project's website...and they've received about 900,000 so far. Their deadline is this December, so there's some time. They've passed the halfway point...only 600,000 to go. (I'd been wondering so I checked, as this thread has been silent for a while)

ETA, as mamarose pointed out, they don't have to be crocheted. smaller than 8x10, and prefer not 3-D, are the only requirements.

Thanks for the "bump" Momcrochets. I belong to a craft/service organization that's just pretty much in my neck of the woods. I had broached this subject to our president last year and she loved the idea. Most of our community service is directed at our immediate community but she felt that this also included crafting so it would be right up our alley. One of the ladies just led a craft workshop and we made all sorts of butterflies with felt, fabric, fun foam, card stock etc.. We had an assortment of pictures, and sample butterfly outlines and we just cut and glued and every one put their own interpretations in to them and they came out beautiful. I ripped up small pieces of colored tissue paper and used a glue stick to apply the pieces to a butterfly cut from card stock and glued some braided trim along the edge. Next month I will host a workshop with assorted patterns for plastic canvas and crocheted butterflies. I have some samples and patterns. It's really fun to see how different combinations of yarns and supplies makes each butterfly look different.

• 2 weeks later...

When I originally checked out "The Butterfly Project" site the deadline for submission was June. Now I see it has been extended to December. More time to make more butterflies.

While searching for more butterfly patterns I came across this link:

http://www.allfreecrafts.com/crochet/butterfly.shtml

I made a pretty butterfly out of colored oak tag type of card stock. I cut and tore up bits of colored tissue and glued them all over then a put a wash of Elmer's glue and water all over it with a sponge brush. I put a piece of black felt down the center and some thick braided cord for the antennae. The I glued a piece of gold braid all around the butterfly. It really came out pretty.

Another thing you can use beside felt is craft foam. You can twist sturdy wire into a butterfly shape and use colored knee highs to stretch over the shape. You could cut open a plastic drink bottle and cut out out a butterfly shape. Then you can paint it. You can make butterflies out of ribbons.

• 2 months later...

BUMP!

This sounds like so much fun :) I make butterflies, but they are kinda-sorta 3-D. They stand about 1-2in thick when flat, but hopefully they will still work. They are easy to hang and they can even sit up on their own.

I'm not sure how these butterflies will be displayed. They may have some hanging from the ceilings or pasted on the wall, we don't know yet. I'm sure there will be pictures of the display posted during and/or after the event. I can't wait to see them.

I belong to a crafting group and we had a workshop and our members have crafted quite a few of them. In addition to the crafted ones (cut/paste/glue) I have crocheted some and made some of plastic canvas in an assortment of colors and patterns. I will continue to make some more over the summer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been making butterflies and have close to 500, I am hoping to go to the museum and see the display, live about 4 hrs from there. Will be cool to see all the different types that have been displayed.

Archived