Houston Holocaust Museum - Butterflies needed

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of the ladies in my church craft group are making some. They turned them in to me! I am considering taking a trip to Houston to turn them in first hand. DH is employed with airlines & gets flight discounts. :hook

Some of the ladies in my church craft group are making some. They turned them in to me! I am considering taking a trip to Houston to turn them in first hand. DH is employed with airlines & gets flight discounts. :hook

Where in TX are you? I'm picturing you carrying two suitcases of butterflies into the museum! :lol

Visiting the museum is a very moving experience. I've never forgotten some of the images I saw there.

I'm one of the WWII Hidden Children and was hidden with a Catholic family in Antwerp, Belgium.

I was fortunate that my father survived but my mother died at Auschwitz.

Although I've never crocheted butterfiles before, I will definitely give it a try.

Thank you very much Happy Stitcher for bringing this to our attention.

Hugs,

antwerpnative

:hug:hug:hug

this sounds really neat! I might make some. Has anyone seen the movie Paperclips? it's about a school that collected 1,500,000 paperclips to remember those who were killed.

:hug:hug:hug

this sounds really neat! I might make some. Has anyone seen the movie Paperclips? it's about a school that collected 1,500,000 paperclips to remember those who were killed.

We saw that. I was telling my son about this project and he said it was just like Paperclips. We liked that movie.

I live two hours from Houston, so I'd like to hand-deliver my butterflies and visit the museum. I've visited Israel and spent several months there, and met several Holocaust survivors during my visit. I was also privileged to meet Elie Wiesel the year he won the Nobel Peace Prize. NOTE: Read his book "Night"....it is haunting. It is difficult, if not impossible, to wrap my mind around the fact that one-fourth of the six million Jews murdered by the Nazis were children. We can never forget this horrific event, so that it is never repeated again.

I've just been given several more! Also, My son had his last day of school on Friday. There was a coffee filter butterfly he made in his back pack. We are including it in the box of butterflies for the museum.

thank you for posting this. i just posted it to my local group in Ravelry and may try to get the kids where i work involved next fall.

Linda, what patern are you using? they are very pretty.

Melinda

I'll be making some of these to send thank you for posting this. I'll also have my 8th graders make some after we read Anne Frank this upcoming school year.

Such horrorific news about the Washington Holocaust Museum. I felt a need to bump this charity.

I don't watch a lot of news, so I hadn't heard about it. I did a search after reading your post and found this: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article6473316.ece

I thought I'd post the link for anybody else who hadn't heard.... It's terrible. :cry

Kel, I think it's a fabulous idea to have your 8th graders contribute to the collection after reading Anne Frank. :hug

Hi All,

I have never seen a coffee filter butterfly. Could someone possibly post a picture of one. I'm curious to see one. Here are my latest 2 butterflies:

post-27052-135897416621_thumb.jpg

The pattern I am using is from crochet pattern central

http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/directory.php

(it is the 5th pattern on the left side)

This should take you to the page:

http://www.freecraftunlimited.com/crochet.butterfly.html

I am up to 52 butterflies so far.

:hook

Linda

Linda where did you get that pattern for the smaller flat butterflies I'd love to make some of them to send in...

You did a great job on them...

Posting some pics just to "bump" up this charity. So far, only 30 butterflies done. Done it ww and cotton.

[ATTACH]1313[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1314[/ATTACH]

:sun

Linda

Linda where did you get that pattern for the smaller flat butterflies I'd love to make some of them to send in...

You did a great job on them...

Lillibet,

Thank you for the nice comment. Here is how I made the small crochet butterflies.

Cotton Butterfly

Sugar n Cream cotton

G Hook

Chain 10 and slip stitch to join to make a circle (1st join),

Chain 10 and slip stich to the 1st join,

Chain 10 and slip stich to the 1st join,

Chain 10 and slip stich to the 1st join

You should have 4 chain 10 loops.

*Slip stich into first loop, then make 6 sc, picot, 6 sc*. Repeat * to * for the 3 remaing loops.

Then finish with a sl stitch to first sc on 1st loop.

Antennae:

Sugar n Cream Black

Fold the yarn in half. With the loop on top pull the other end through it and knot it. This makes the head. Cut yarn for the antennaes.

post-27052-135897416758_thumb.jpg

Options: You could do three picots when making the butterfly instead of just one. And you could do this same method with thread, ww, or whatever.

:hug

Linda

Linda, thanks for sharing your pattern! It's a bit like the

Malaco Butterfly pattern, but I got frustrated with that one because I couldn't get my loops the right size. I'll try yours, instead! :manyheart

Incidently, I tried to provide a link to the Malaco butterfly pattern, but it won't link. Sorry!

Archived