Have You Updated Your Blog Today? II

RoseRed

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For some reason your blog doesn't allow for comments, but I did find this to be an interesting topic.  There are times when I think basic patterns can be understood.  For instance there are standard increases in amis that take you from 6 to 12 to 18 etc.  Once you've done one, you can pretty much do the stitch pattern without needing it written out.  Frustrating for a new person, but certainly easy enough to find out how the pattern works.  I tend to be lazy and prefer it written, but I can cope when it isn't.

However, there are other times when I do find it frustrating when it isn't a standard increase/decrease and you are left guessing.  Sometimes it doesn't effect the overall look of the pattern where you put the increases.  If so then I don't find it as annoying.  However, when it does matter and it isn't a standard increase, then I expect the designer to write out the directions so I spend most of my time crocheting, not working on algebra. 

I also have different expectations for a pattern I bought and one that is free.  If it's free I have no complaints.  I was given a gift.  If I don't like it I have nothing to complain about because it was freely given.  If I buy it, my expectations are higher.  I expect the directions to lead me to finishing a crocheted item.  If you aren't going to write out the directions mentioning that would be appreciated in the pattern description.

Here's this week's post for designers:

What a Crafter Wants: Open Letter to Designers

Want to know what you should do to make your next knit or crochet pattern sell better? Here is one crafter willing to tell you exactly what she wants.

Hi Bailey4,

I totally agree. When it's free, you never know what you'll get and you're happy to at least have some sort of directions. And really, most of the time the directions are great. When you purchase a pattern you're expecting it to be tested and with no serious flaws. I purchased a pattern for a sweater and the directions for the size I wanted to make ended up creating a sweater 3x bigger than expected. And the arms were too short! 

Great article!

Hi Bailey4, i have already published your comment...thank you so much..... the post is a risk on my part, but i took it otherwise i wont learn...to be honest, i read it for like 6 times b4 hitting the publish button, LOL.... its true about what u said... i too expect a lot from the pattern i'm following... i have experienced a confusion one time when the author forgot to add a few last intruction for a stitch at the end of the row... but as you said, it's free so i can't complain :D

Thanks also for what you have said, I am learning to write a pattern so I can sell my future crochet crafts... I'm a little perfectionist my self... so if ever i will wrote one, i will always bear in mind to put my self on the shoe of the person who will read my pattern.... :)

I appreciate people like you... Keep on inspiring

:cheer:ty

For some reason your blog doesn't allow for comments, but I did find this to be an interesting topic.  There are times when I think basic patterns can be understood.  For instance there are standard increases in amis that take you from 6 to 12 to 18 etc.  Once you've done one, you can pretty much do the stitch pattern without needing it written out.  Frustrating for a new person, but certainly easy enough to find out how the pattern works.  I tend to be lazy and prefer it written, but I can cope when it isn't.

However, there are other times when I do find it frustrating when it isn't a standard increase/decrease and you are left guessing.  Sometimes it doesn't effect the overall look of the pattern where you put the increases.  If so then I don't find it as annoying.  However, when it does matter and it isn't a standard increase, then I expect the designer to write out the directions so I spend most of my time crocheting, not working on algebra. 

I also have different expectations for a pattern I bought and one that is free.  If it's free I have no complaints.  I was given a gift.  If I don't like it I have nothing to complain about because it was freely given.  If I buy it, my expectations are higher.  I expect the directions to lead me to finishing a crocheted item.  If you aren't going to write out the directions mentioning that would be appreciated in the pattern description.

Hi Bailey, you have to be be logged in to the site comment.  I'll look at adding some better messaging for that.  There was just too much spam otherwise.

I think the thing that bothered me so about the conversation was the tone and attitude.  I think sometimes designers forget that they can't sell patterns without customers and good customer service is important to being successful as an independent designer.  Even when a pattern is free, I think it's best to try to make a good impression, otherwise people might get the feeling that they would expect the same quality from one of my paid patterns.  

You'll definitely get more pictures, tutorials, and hand holding with one of my paid patterns, but there are certain standards I stick to like fully writing out directions and including stitch counts for rows, because that will help most people sort it out of they run into a problem.

Hi Bailey4,

I totally agree. When it's free, you never know what you'll get and you're happy to at least have some sort of directions. And really, most of the time the directions are great. When you purchase a pattern you're expecting it to be tested and with no serious flaws. I purchased a pattern for a sweater and the directions for the size I wanted to make ended up creating a sweater 3x bigger than expected. And the arms were too short! 

Great article!

Thanks!  One of my goals with the website is to start bridging the gap between crafters and designers. In a few weeks I'll be posting another article more from a designer's perspective of what we'd like from crafters so keep an eye out for that!

Today I'm sharing a sneak peak on makeloops.com of the introduction for my  Pinterest for Professionals course.  It's an 8 day course that's geared toward teaching independent designers how to market using Pinterest, but if you sell handcrafts it will also help you.  There are still seats left in the February class so sign up today so you don't miss out!

I think you'll find it will reduce the people leaving comments.  Most blogs have a method that allows you to review the comments before they post.  I just delete the spam and post the rest. 

Hi Bailey, you have to be be logged in to the site comment.  I'll look at adding some better messaging for that.  There was just too much spam otherwise.

I think the thing that bothered me so about the conversation was the tone and attitude.  I think sometimes designers forget that they can't sell patterns without customers and good customer service is important to being successful as an independent designer.  Even when a pattern is free, I think it's best to try to make a good impression, otherwise people might get the feeling that they would expect the same quality from one of my paid patterns.  

You'll definitely get more pictures, tutorials, and hand holding with one of my paid patterns, but there are certain standards I stick to like fully writing out directions and including stitch counts for rows, because that will help most people sort it out of they run into a problem.

Archived