A good size knitting needle

fc1123

Ok I have a 6.5mm knitting needle so I'm wondering if that is a good needle for a beginner knitter to start out with or do I need to go higher

I think it's a good size if you use chunky yarn (think Bernat Softee Chunky), if your using worsted weight yarn, I'd use a 5mm (size 8).

Good luck! Post a picture of your progress! :D

oh ok thanks I think I have some chunky yarn around here I'll have to look that will probably work better than the ww yarn that I have

If the chunky is too "chunky", try the worsted on the bigger needles just to get the feel of knitting, having small yarn and bigger needles may help you get the feel of things. After you do get the feel then you have a good excuse to go buy more needles and yarn! :D

Sure, you can get away with using 6.5 mm needles and worsted weight yarn. And remember, now you get to buy twice as much yarn cuz you're doing 2 crafts! :D

Yes, Crochet yarn and Knitting yarn! Your stash can be huge!

:manyheart

thanks guys I'm sure that's what I'll end up having crochet yarn and knitting yarn gee I can hear my fiance say why do you need more yarn and I can say well one's my crochet yarn and the others my knitting :lol:yay he did comment on how I come on this forum all the time I told him it's a fun group of people

Ok I have a knit lite needle does that make a difference when it comes to knitting or do I need to buy an aluminum needle

You can use whatever needles you prefer. The Knit Lite ones are fine. My first needles were plastic as well because they were a larger size - US13 or US15, I forget which - and in the craft stores those larger sizes are all sold in plastic. Once you get the hang of knitting you can save up and get yourself pairs of different needles (bamboo, metal, wood) and see which ones you like best. I'm finding I like different needles for different yarns, which just means I gotta buy a lot of needles! :lol

Here's one needle I'm dying to try but they are so expensive and I'm afraid I will like them and want the whole set but I could never afford them.

http://www.signatureneedlearts.com/

ok thanks yesterday I was so mad at the needles I was deciding to give up I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't keep practicing but also to take breaks when doing it so it won't frustrate me as much

ok thanks yesterday I was so mad at the needles I was deciding to give up I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't keep practicing but also to take breaks when doing it so it won't frustrate me as much

I hear you i am trying to teach myself with videos on youtube and it is frustrating i have to keep taking breaks so i dont throw it out the window lol. But i have the long tail cast on down and just knit i am starting to get but i dont get purl yet.

Hi ladies, just wanted to throw in my ideas for videos. I used this site http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/purl-stitch

to learn a lot of the stitches. The instructor goes slow enough for me to actually see what she is doing. I am a novice knitter, but one thing I figured out after having hissy fits is not to knit as tightly as you may crochet. I am a tight crocheter, so I had to loosen up on the knitting needles. When I cast on I make sure not to tighten up too much, then while doing the stitches to make sure they slide easily on the needle. I hope this helps some!

Archived