Washing Acrylic Yarn

Leaflyn

Hey! I have a question about washing items made with acrylic yarn, namely supersaver. On the label it does say was with warm water and tumble dry. I recently made a throw and I just washed it but used cold water.. it came out rather dry and squeaky. :( Not soft really. Did I make a mistake by using cold water? I'm worried if I wash it with it with 'warm' water, the water will be more likely hot and I don't want to ruin the blanket. :eek

Did you dry it with a dryer? You didn't say. That helps a lot with yarn, gets it soft. I always wash in warm, dry warm. I also use a dryer sheet in the dryer. Even if it feels somewhat dry, the dryer tends to bounce back the yarn and make it even softer and better. Maybe toss it in the dryer and see what happens.

Debbi

Ok, thank you all for your help! :) I did not get a chance to dry it because when it was done washing, it was already pretty much spun dry. =S I didn't want to stick it in the dryer like that.

I wash my acrylic projects in cold water and, use jsut a little fragrance free fabric softener and then put in a dryer on the Knit or Gentle Cycle. I remove it just before it is completely dry and block it.

Yes! I do indeed block everything. Some prefer not to, but I like the finished look of a blocked piece. For my afghans, I block them on top of my spa using quilt pins on to shape them. turns out almost perfect every time. I've done it this way for many, many years and have not ever had the "squeeky" thing happen. :)

I wash my acrylic projects in cold water and, use jsut a little fragrance free fabric softener and then put in a dryer on the Knit or Gentle Cycle. I remove it just before it is completely dry and block it.

Yes! I do indeed block everything. Some prefer not to, but I like the finished look of a blocked piece. For my afghans, I block them on top of my spa using quilt pins on to shape them. turns out almost perfect every time. I've done it this way for many, many years and have not ever had the "squeeky" thing happen. :)

I've heard the term, but what is "blocking" :eek

Wanna make RHSS super soft? When you get to the rinse cycle, add about 1/4 cup of really cheap hair conditioner. Let it agitate for a few mins, then turn off and let soak for about 20 mins. Turn on and resume cycle. Dry in dryer on low heat so as not to melt the yarn fibers. VOILA! Super soft afghan! Works every time! I use a tablespoon or so on baby clothes when I hand wash them, too. They come out as soft and silky as lanolized wool!

Ok, thank you all for your help! :) I did not get a chance to dry it because when it was done washing, it was already pretty much spun dry. =S I didn't want to stick it in the dryer like that.

They don't take long in the dryer.

I make just about all my ghans out of 4plyWW acrylic (RH or Caron). The first ghan I made for my dad was a 2strand Q hook ghan and it really stretches out. (Now I use an N for all my 2 strand work). Once it goes in the dryer it springs right back into place.

I don't bother to try and block acrylic. As long as your using the correct size hook for the yarn it's going to hold it's shape anyway. Wool will hold the shape that you block it into. Acrylic holds the shape of the stitches.

With RHSS, I NEVER wash it in warm water. I did it once and regretted it. It pilled like crazy. I don't have any trouble with pilling when I wash it in cold water. The real trick to making it softer is drying it in a dryer. Adding fabric softener sheets helps, too, and makes it smell nice. ;)

• 3 months later...

Thanks Rose Red for your blocking info. I was debating about blocking squares for an afghan and had remebered hearing that blocking acrylic really doesn't need to be done. My pattern (from Red Heart) does not say to block, so I won't. My squares are pretty darn square with just a bit of tugging and laying flat anyway.

With RHSS, I NEVER wash it in warm water. I did it once and regretted it. It pilled like crazy. I don't have any trouble with pilling when I wash it in cold water. The real trick to making it softer is drying it in a dryer. Adding fabric softener sheets helps, too, and makes it smell nice. ;)

I agree, I always use cold water, too because of the "pilling". I'm a RH junkie and have made everything from socks to afghan, crocheted and knit and find that the way things come out softest is to wash in cold water and I add a bit of white vinegar to the rinse cycle. I rarely use my dryer, so I can say that even without the dryer, the project will be soft using vinegar (and sometimes I add a cap of fabric softener, too).

Archived