10" American Flag Square

In time for Memorial Day:

100_0470.jpg

....with a special thanks to those who tested the pattern, especially WIZ3283, who became my new friend in the process:clap

American Flag 10" square

Materials: Less than 1 ounce each of red, white, blue and gold worsted weight yarns.

Hook: G/4mm or size needed to obtain gauge

Tapestry Needle – for weaving in ends.

Gauge: 8 sc = 2", 8 rows = 2"

Note: Carry unused color on the wrong side of work where indicated. Each row = 39 sc

Instructions:

Row 1: With red, chain 40. Sc in 2nd ch from hook, and in each ch across. Ch 1, turn. (39 sc's)

Row 2: Sc in each st across, ch 1, turn.

Row 3: Sc in each st acrosstolast stitch. Finish last st with white(color change made).,. ch 1, turn.

Rows 4: With white and carrying red across the row, Scin each st across, Drop red ch 1, turn.

Row5. Sc in each st across

Row 6: Sc in each st across to last stitch. Drop white. Pick up red and finish last st with red. (color change made) Ch 1, turn.

Rows 7: With red and carrying white across the row, Sc in each st across, Drop white ch 1, turn.

Row 8. Sc in each st across

Row 9: Sc in each st across to last stitch. Drop red. Pick up white and finish last st with white. (color change made) Ch 1, turn.

Rows 10 - 12: Repeat rows 4 - 6.

Rows 13 - 15: Repeat rows 7 - 9.

Rows 16 - 18: Repeat rows 4 - 6.

Row 19: With red and carrying white sc in 1st 15 sts, finishing 15th st with blue to join & switch color. Drop red. With blue and carrying white sc across remainder of row. Ch 1, turn. (39 sc)

Row 20: With blue and carrying white Sc in next 3 sts. **Pick up white carry blue. In nxt stitch: *y/o with white and pull up a loop 2 times, y/o with blue and pull through all 5 loops on hook. With blue and carrying white Sc in nxt 3 sts. Repeat from ** 4 times; In next st, insert hook and draw up loop, Drop blue and white. Pick up red, y/o and pull through 2 loops on hook (color change made). Sc across remainder of row. Ch 1, turn.

Row 21: With red sc in next 14 sts. In next st, insert hook and draw up a loop, drop red and pick up blue and carry white. With blue Y/o and draw through 2 loops on hook (color change made). With blue and carrying white Sc across remainder of row. ch 1, turn.

Row 22: With blue and carrying white Sc in nxt 5 sts. ** Pick up white carry blue In nxt stitch: *y/o pull up a loop 2 times, y/o with blue and pull through all 5 loops on hook. With blue and carrying white Sc in nxt 3 sts. Repeat from ** 3 times; Pick up white carry blue. In nxt stitch: *y/o pull up a loop 2 times, y/o with blue and pull through all 5 loops on hook. SC in next st. In next stitch insert hook and draw up loop. Drop blue, pick up white, y/o and pull through 2 loops on hook (color change made). With white and carrying red Sc across remainder of row. Drop red. Ch 1, turn.

Row 23: With white Sc in next 14 sts. In next st, insert hook and draw up a loop, pick up blue and carry white Y/o and draw through 2 loops on hook (color change made). With blue and carrying white sc across remainder of row ch 1, turn.

Row 24: With blue and carrying white Sc in next 3 sts. **Pick up white carry blue. In nxt stitch: *y/o with white and pull up a loop 2 times, y/o with blue and pull through all 5 loops on hook. With blue and carrying white, Sc in nxt 3 sts. Repeat from ** 4 times; .In next st, insert hook and draw up loop, Drop blue. With white y/o and pull through 2 loops on hook (color change made). Sc in each st across to last stitch. In last stitch insert hook and draw up loop. Pick up red and carry white, y/o and pull through 2 loops on hook (color change made).Ch 1, turn.

Row 25: Repeat row 19.

Row 26 With blue and carrying white Sc in nxt 5 sts. ** Pick up white carry blue. In nxt stitch: *y/o pull up a loop 2 times, y/o with blue and pull through all 5 loops on hook. With blue and carrying white Sc in nxt 3 sts. Repeat from ** 3 times; Pick up white carry blue. In nxt stitch: *y/o pull up a loop 2 times, y/o with blue and pull through all 5 loops on hook. SC in next st. In next stitch insert hook and draw up loop. Drop blue and white, pick up red, y/o and pull through 2 loops on hook (color change made). Sc across remainder of row. Ch 1, turn.

Row 27: repeat row 21.

Row 28: With blue and carrying white Sc in next 3 sts. **Pick up white carry blue. In nxt stitch: *y/o with white and pull up a loop 2 times, y/o with blue and pull through all 5 loops on hook. With blue and carrying white Sc in nxt 3 sts. Repeat from ** 4 times; In next st, insert hook and draw up loop. Drop blue, pick up white, y/o and pull through 2 loops on hook (color change made). With white and carrying red Sc across remainder of row. Drop red. Ch 1, turn.

Row 29: Repeat row 23

Row 30 With blue and carrying white Sc in nxt 5 sts. ** Pick up white carry blue. In nxt stitch: *y/o pull up a loop 2 times, y/o with blue and pull through all 5 loops on hook. With blue and carrying white Sc in nxt 3 sts. Repeat from ** 3 times; Pick up white carry blue. In nxt stitch: *y/o pull up a loop 2 times, y/o with blue and pull through all 5 loops on hook. SC in next st. In next stitch insert hook and draw up loop. With white y/o and pull through 2 loops on hook (color change made). Drop blue. With white Sc in each st across to last stitch. In last stitch insert hook and draw up loop. Pick up red and carry white, y/o and pull through 2 loops on hook (color change made).Ch 1, turn.

Row 31: Repeat row 19

Row 32: Repeat row 20

Row 33: Repeat row 21

Row 34: Repeat row 22

Row 35: Repeat row 23

Row 36: Repeat row 24

Row 37: Repeat row 19

Row 38: Repeat row 26.

Row 39: With red sc in 1st 15 sts, finishing 15th st with blue to join & switch color. Drop red., cut and tie off. With blue sc across remainder of row. Cut and tie off.

Weave in all ends.

For Border

Join gold with a sc in any stitch. Sc in each stitch and end of each row, making 3 sc's in corners. Finish off and weave in ends.

Copyright 2009: LeaAnne Marashio / a_stitchintime creations. All rights reserved. No sale of finished item without written permission.

This pattern was designed with the intent of supporting our troops, and showing American pride.

LeAnne Thanks again for letting me test this and help you out. I had a great time with it. I ended up making it into a pillow to go with a flag blanket I am working on. I will post a picture later this weekend.

Congrats on your new design! :hug

thanks, everyone, for the kind words!

I felt compelled to share it here, because it was for a Crochetville comfortghan that it came to be.

And, Tammy, I can't wait to see that 'ghan & pillow!

:ghug you all made my day!

thanks, everyone, for the kind words!

I felt compelled to share it here, because it was for a Crochetville comfortghan that it came to be.

And, Tammy, I can't wait to see that 'ghan & pillow!

:ghug you all made my day!

Unfortunately the ghan I am making requires you to make 50 stars seperatly then sew them on. :rant:thair:bang:grumpy Since I hate sewing I most likely won't make another one of these ghans. I just finished making all those stars and I hope to get them all sewn on tomorrow. If not I will post a picture of the pillow seperately and post the ghan later.

Since I really hate to sew or weave a ton of ends, I really like this pattern. Only a few ends to sew in and no sewing on all those stars. :clap

Thanks again for letting me help you with this square. It was a lot of fun!!!!:hug

Since it is going to take me awhile to block and stitch on all these stars I decided to share these pictures for now. I used this square for the front of the pillow and then made another square in 3 stipes for the back. THe pics are not that great but here you go.

post-13959-135897401289_thumb.jpg

post-13959-135897401293_thumb.jpg

post-13959-135897401296_thumb.jpg

post-13959-135897401299_thumb.jpg

post-13959-135897401302_thumb.jpg

Thanks so much for sharing - on my list of things I want to make.

This is the first American Flag pattern I have found that I really like. You did a super job with it.

Thanks again,

TLOL,

Toni

My grandfather's birthday is coming up and he's very patriotic, as am I. Love the square and am probably going to make him a pillow or something using this square! Thanks for sharing.

Very Nice! I Love how it has 13 stripes and 50 stars. Too many patterns are NOT accurate on the number of stripes &/or stars.

Nice Job!!!! Thank you for sharing the pattern.

Archived