Some good clean fun?!

Good afternoon!

Beth, they are graduating already!  Wow!  Good for them, will they continue for their bachelor degrees? I will also be applying for graduation this semester.  Dh wants me to keep going, but our school places about 90% of CD graduates, usually in the center where they do their field work.  If I get hired, I want to work. So we will see in June.  Sorry to hear the kids are rude.  I hope you and the teacher can work out the conflict. Oh!  I keep forgetting to tell you...I have made that chicken with the Rice Chex coating 3 times already, and everyone loves it!  The kids ask for it at least twice a week.   

Joanne, I loved the pics of your snow angels!  So glad you had a wonderful time with them.  How is your dh feeling?

Leeann, glad to hear your business is hopping!  Try Emergen-C, I feel like a broken record when I suggest that to people but it really works.  Hope you can ward off the cold. 

The girls' school had a fundraiser at Chuck E. Cheese today, so we went right after school.  They only played games, since they had just eaten lunch, but they had fun, I think.  Alex's PE teacher gives them challenges twice a year where they have to try to run for the whole PE period.  He actually did it today!  But he said he felt like it was hard to breathe and he was wheezing afterward, so at his appointment next week I will ask his dr. to check for asthma. 

Dh is taking calculus this semester.  It is an online course, so it will be a bit more challenging.  He is one of those people who likes to sit in the front row.  But I know he can do it!

I haven't worked on Mia's blanket much, although I am almost done with the graph part.  I have been redecorating our apartment.  So far, I love it.  I put pictures all down the hallway, re-painted a couple pictures that were in the dining area (they will be stenciled after they dry), and made a chalkboard with a weathered frame for the kitchen.  Wish I would have gotten into this so much sooner! 

Well, I think that's all the news from here.  Eva wants to go ride her bike, so off we go.  Love and hugs! 

• Replies 14.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good morning ladies!

How's it going? 

Joanne-that is an awful lot of snow!  wow!  I think you all are getting hit pretty hard.  Your grands are adorable!  Cutest snow angels ever.  :manyheart   I have been thinking of you and hoping that your dh is feeling better and that you are getting a chance to rest a bit.  Yesterday with the help of my crafting ladies, I learned how to knit..it's so much easier than I had imagined and fun.  Can't wait to show you all my lil scarf. 

Beth-yikes!  Co-worker conflict is no fun, hang in there!  :hug   I remember those days all too well.  Stressful doesn't even begin to cover it. 

Stacy-You are on a roll!  Re-arranging and decorating, wanna pop on over to my house?  It could use a bit of re-decorating, especially my craft room.  Now that I have re-arranged I have blank walls, really need to hang up pictures and make it look more homey.

Last night was the Kickoff celebration for the Ice Fest.  The Chamber planned it all, I was on hand to greet folks at the door and take tickets.  They had a live band and a few tasty treats.  It was a super long day, must drink lots of coffee before I head in today, we have lots more going on.  The 5k Run-Rio on the Frio..you can run on the Frozen Rio Grand River.  We have lots of runners from all over the world signed up.  The entire theme is Frozen.  Then they will have a chance to stop in and warm up at my shop, we are serving 4 different flavors of hot cocoa and Spritz Cookies.  Joyce made the cocoas and I baked the cookies using her Great Grandmother's recipe.  It was my  second time using a cookie press, fun fun fun!  And then the live Ice Sculpting will take place, along with a Scavenger Hunt, Snowman Building Contest-the ladies in my craft group put together the most awesome Olaf..we have been working a few late nights to get him done.  Then it will be the Costume Contest along with a meet and greet of Elsa and Anna at the Nestle Toll House along with more Ice Sculpting, the Pub and Grub-you can buy a ticket then go to the local restaurants to have appetizers, THEN the snowman building contest results along with a Fire and Ice Bonfire, a stop at the University Observatory and then a moonlight ski run to end the night..exhausting!

I will be at my shop enjoying the warmth and building the snowman, my business sponsored the event and will take part in the Scavenger Hunt but that's it.  I may just try to hang back today..a lot going on.

Best get my tush in gear.  Hugs n extra squishes my friends! 

Happy Groundhog day- GH saw is shadow- so 6 more weeks of winter :-(

Today we woke up to snow on the ground and it was raining- temps started dropping, it's snowing and the roads are freezing---so I left work early- I hope that DH gets home without a problem

We had a fun day at DD's and SIL for their annual superbowl party yesterday!! I got there early so I could watch the boys while they set up everything and got ready-

Hope you all are doing well----now that I'm home early- I think I'll catch up on some stuff that needs to be caught up on!!!

Hugs

Happy Thursday!!!  Very happy, because tomorrow is a half-day, so the week is practically over!!!

LeeAnn, tell us all about the Ice Fest.  Your town sounds like such a fun place!  How was the scavenger hunt?  Are you getting Valentine's orders already?

Joanne, I heard there is some bad weather brewing again.  Stay safe, dear friend!  My mom called me yesterday, and told me that my sister went to get groceries, called that she couldn't make it to the store, and didn't show up at home yet.  Now I'm worried about her.  I'll have to text her from work later.  The work week is almost over!  Any fun plans for the weekend?  I'm meeting with my best local crochet buddies on Saturday.

Stacy, Did you get the knitting finished?  How is everyone?  Is dh doing well with his calculus?  I took engineering calculus in college, but I don't remember much about it -- I love math, but it seemed like voodoo.  You do this, then that, and POOF!  You have the answer.  Why does it work?  I don't know!  I wish Jorge lots of luck.

I got some potentially exciting news yesterday:  my dd's professor told her about some entry-level positions in her field and an internship.  The company goes to that professor first to recruit, so she has a head-start in the application process.  It's at a proton accelerator laboratory -- doesn't that sound like the start to a mutant superhero movie?

This week has been a full moon, and my students have been positively loony.  Friday is a half-day, so I'm hoping for a quick day today and Friday, so the weekend can begin!!!  I did taxes for everyone this week, and found out that my son the lifeguard made as much money last year as I did.  He works part time except for the summer.  I'm working unpaid overtime, and spending money on supplies and rewards for my students.  It isn't worth it. 

Top of the morning my sweet ladies!

Beth-I always think of you and Joann on Fridays because I know how much you both look forward to the weekend.  That is awesome that you were able to get everyone's taxes done.  I feel for you my friend, when I was teaching preschool-my salary was extremely low compared to the amount of hours that I put in..I think when I figured it out I was earning less than $2.00 an hour :cry :cry  and I wasn't happy..too many requirements, paperwork and drama.  You are so warm, witty and caring that I know the perfect job will come along, hang in there! :hug

Joanne-how's it going my friend?  Will you be spending the weekend with your lovely boys?  How's the knitting coming along?  I have recently taught myself to knit and have finished my first scarf, it curled up so much, any suggestions?  I was just doing a knit row and purl row.  I must have knit super tight, it literally curled up like a skinny scarf.  I tried bordering it but am going to try blocking it to get it to lay flatter. :hug

Stacy-Whatcha up to?  Your knit blankie looks amazing!  wow!  I am in awe seeing how much you get done, you are one busy mommy.  How are your gals handling the move of their friends?  How's Alex doing?  Is he leveling out as far as his moods and such?  And your wonderful dh?  hope you are all doing sensational!

The Ice Fest was a huge success with my shop snowman coming in 2nd.. :clap :clap So glad that it was here and gone, time to get back to normal..seems like we always have a ton of activities in our small town.  Folks seemed to enjoy the live sculpting, friendly atmosphere and warm drinks.

Today I have one student in my Beginner Crochet class, he is a returning student..hope he did his homework.  :manyheart   Guess I should get ready and head out the door.  Hugs n extra squishes!

LeeAnn, Congratulations on your shop snowman winning 2nd.  That's great!  Did you design it?  It's hard to think about snowmen here.  We had one day with snow, which was gone in an hour or two.  I didn't need a coat today.  How are your kids doing? 

Joanne, how are you doing?  How are your projects coming along?  Anything new in the works, or being planned?

Stacy, how are your kids doing?  Did classes start again yet?

Top of the morning ladies!

How are you all doing?  have a good weekend?

I am home today..whew!  Feels good to be able to relax, I have a few orders to whip up but nothing too difficult and just a tiny bit of product to make for the shop.

Beth-the snowman that we made was Olaf-we had the Frozen theme.  The ladies in my craft group really wanted to make a snowman out of pompoms.  I had 2 ladies that were all for it!  We worked late 3 evenings last week but we got him done.  I should say, one of the ladies went above and beyond..Tara kinda took the project over she was really happy to work on this project so I let her run with it. 

Here is a picture of our Olaf, he went home with Tara on Saturday.  Carmen my 70 year young young friend crochet the hat and scarf.  I cut out the form and offered yarn, support, and a room to create in.  I served them snacks and really just cleaned up after them as they worked so well.

I have been working on paperwork today, caught up!  whew!  Sales were up from last year..so glad!  I always worry just a tad.  On Saturday I had 2 more new students.  My list is growing. 

Guess I should get to work. Talk to you all soon!  Hugs n squishes. 

Love the Olaf!!!

Spent sat with dd and the boys. Had fun as always. Sunday was catch up on cleaning laundry and started a crochet blanket for Robbie. It is the same granny stripe I made for Ryan for his 2 nd birthday. Since they are sharing a room, it will be nice for them to have matching blankets. And the best part? I had all the colors in my stash!!!!!

My step grandaughter, who will be 12 Saturday had surgery today. She was diagnosed with a chiari malformation and she had decompression survey She came through the procedure fine. She is in a specialized children's hospital in fl here she lives.

My. Brothers MIL passed away yesterday. She was in her mid 90 s and my bro said she had a peaceful death. I had visited with her about a month ago. Even though she lived a good long life, it's never easy to lose your mom

Lee Ann. As far as the curling I think that is the nature of the beast with stockinettte (knot one row, purl the next. Next time If you put a few knit stitches on the end of each row, I think that would stop the curling. Is t knitting fun?? I find it very relaxing....almost zen like

Stacy. Good luck to Jorge with the calculus. And re decorating sounds like a great idea. DH and I are probably going to try and sell the house again come spring. We really need a smaller place and would like 1 floor. At least DH does. He is doing ok. It I. It ice he tires more easily. What graph are you knitting ?

Beth. Teaching is such an underpaid profession. I know my dd spends more hours than she gets paid for, but at least she is enjoying her classes...hope you had fun woth yiur crochet buddies. I skipped craft club tonight since the roads were icy this am and the commute to and for work was not fun. I'm in for the night and going to work on the blanket for Robbie. He turns 2 in March. Where dies the time go. The other day Ryan told me tha pt in his birthday he will be 4. Lol. It literally seems like yesterday I easy welding my first grandson I to the works and here it is 3 1/2 years later.......

Have a good rest of the evening......I'm off to hook......lol

Good afternoon ladies!

How are you all doing? 

Joanne-bet you are looking forward to the weekend.  Time spent with our loves ones is so precious and worth the longer work days.  I tried knitting the last two stitches on each purl row and then slipping the first stitch onto the other set of needles, this helped but I am still finding that it curls.  I think it will take practice, I'm such a beginner.  I do find that knitting is less strenuous on my wrists, does it feel the same way for you?

Beth-how's your week going? Anything fun planned for the weekend?

Stacy-bet your lovely kiddos are keeping you super busy, did your classes start?

Thank you for the lovely Olaf compliments, he is in his new home.  I have been staying busy here at the shop, so far sales have been up from last year, :yay   The hubby is filing our taxes, I think I have everything that he needs handed in..he is fairly stressed about it, poor guy.  I think the business end is holding him up.

Other than that, nothing too exciting.  I will be off this weekend :clap   not sure what I will be doing but I bet whipping up new soapies and product.

Have a super evening ladies!  hugs n warmest wishes :ghug

Hi all

Happy hump day--the work week is now nearer to being over!!

LeeAnn- I don't really have problems with my wrists when I crochet or knit, so I'm not sure if it is easier on the wrists or not. I do find it to be more relaxing- I think that's because I expect crocheting to go fast and knitting to go slow!

As far as the curling- I would google 'how to avoid curling edges in knitting' or something like that-

Enjoy your weekend 'off'

Beth- Hope you are well- and surviving work-

Stacy- I saw your post about notebook shopping at Staples-- I love staples and have a reward card too!! LOL Good luck with the semester!!!

Off to crochet a few more stripes on Robbie's blanket and then knit a few rows of my DD's blanket

Happy Thursday!

I am sorry I am not posting much.  I am really struggling at work, and come home exhausted and depressed, and I'm tired of hearing me whine, I'm sure you don't want to hear it!

Joanne, We survived hump day, now Friday is close!  Do you get President's day off?  I do, but my insurance agent wants to meet.  He might save us some money, so I will be there!

LeeAnn, I'm glad your business is growing.  I hope your hubby got through the taxes alright.  That's a nerve-wracking job when it's just personal taxes.  I can't imagine how it must be to do business taxes.  I'll bet it is easier since you don't have employees yet.  Enjoy your weekend off. 

Stacy, how are your classes?

My husband asked me to go out to dinner with him tomorrow as my Valentine's gift.  I think that was sweet - something to look forward to doing. 

Beth,,enjoy your dinner out. That was sweet of hubby. I don't have Presidents' Day off. My next holiday at work isn't until Memorial Day !!!! You know I won't last that long without a day off. We have to start doing our taxes too. Luckily DH doesn't mind doing it.

It's supposed to be frigid here the next couple of days. 0 and below. I plan on being indoors most of the weekend. Will hit up kohls though since I have a 30% off coupon. I would like a new comforter and new pillows I'll see what's on sale and or clearance and take it from there.

Hi all!

Beth, so sorry to hear your work isn't going well.  Enjoy dinner out with your hubby- that was so sweet of him to ask! 

Joanne, good luck getting the house ready to sell.  I think it's a wonderful idea to make a matching blanket for Robbie. I'm sure he will love having one that matches his brother's!  Snoopy is a washcloth pattern, I worked it into a very easy blanket pattern.  Now I can't remember how I did the edging around it.  :think I'm really hoping that it is finished by March...but have been taking it to Alex's karate practice, where I can get about 4 rows done at a time. 

Leeann, Olaf is adorable! Your ice fest sounds like so much fun!  I have to say that I do have pain when I crochet for a long time, and have found that knitting is MUCH easier on the wrists!  How are the kiddos? 

I attended the orientation for my student teaching position, and I am so excited!  I think it will be a fun semester.  My other classes are going to be challenging- lots of papers and reports due.  But I will be finished at the end of the semester, so just gotta keep my eye on the prize. 

The kiddos are doing well.  Someone asked about the friends who were supposed to move.  One of the families decided to stay in the area, and unfortunately the parents of the other girls ended up divorcing, and the girls are living with the parent that is closest to the school.  So no one moved! 

We don't have special plans for tomorrow.  I would like to avoid restaurants, because they will be packed.  So I'm thinking we might go for a bike ride and get some take-out. 

Gotta scoot and get dinner ready.  Love and hugs! 

Happy Valentine's Day!

Well we didn't go for the bike ride because I forgot that Alex has Saturday school.  Dh made my favorite breakfast (potato pancakes) and Eva made pink waffles for herself and Mia. My in-laws are coming over in the afternoon to drop off some things for the kiddos.  Laundry is going and I need to vacuum.  Also hoping to work on Mia's blanket today. 

Hope you all have a wonderful day!  Beth, enjoy your dinner with dh!

Love and hugs! 

Hi everyone,

I hope you had a good Valentine's day.  We had a great one.  We celebrated on Friday to avoid the crowds.  My hubby took me to get my glasses fixed, then out to dinner, then to Trader Joe's for GF Bagels.  How romantic is that!!???  My dd had her boyfriend over on Saturday.  I really like him.  They are a very cute couple. 

Tonight my kids' classes are cancelled because we might get snow.  I love living here!  I am hoping that I will get a snow day tomorrow.

Stacy, I hope your semester goes well.  I am so proud of you!  I can't imagine being a student and a mom at the same time, and you are doing such a great job balancing everything.  I hope your student teaching is a lot of fun.  You are working with a fun age group!

Joanne, I'm sorry you aren't getting any holidays in the near future.  I am counting down the days until Spring Break, then the end of the year will be right around the corner.  I will not be going back.  I can make almost as much working at a fast food restaurant with a lot less stress, and I wouldn't be buying supplies and rewards for 75 students, either.

LeeAnn, I hope things are going well for you.  Don't forget to take breaks, enjoy your family, and take care of yourself!

Think snow!!!

Belated happy Valentine's Day

I went to DD's in the morning and we got manicures- then went to Kohl's where we got lots of clothes for Ryan for next fall/winter- on clearance plus my 30% off---even got him a snow jacket/snow pants that came to about 15.00!!! WOOT!!! I didn't get anything for me, but am glad that he 'll have some clothes for next winter!!! Then we went back to her house and after the boys woke from their naps, we made heart shaped jello jigglers- they had a ball---and they do love jello!!! I had a fun afternoon and then went home and DH brought home chinese food for dinner and we stayed in and watched a movie-

We are supposed to get more snow tonight- I hope we get enough so that I can call out tomorrow or at least work from home. ;-)

Beth- I don't blame you for not wanting to go back next year--it does seem very stressful...I keep looking on /off but so far nothing has materialized.

Stacy   Wishing you a good semester~ I was working on the knitted blanket for my dD and the cable broke!!! EEEK!!!! I think I recovered the stitches and have the ends where it broke wrapped in scotch tape- I'm going to take it to the LYS and get a new cable- although Knitters Pride is going to replace it for free!!! I want them to make sure I've recovered all the stitches

Oh, well, time to figure out dinner- no craft club tonight since its President's day!!!

Good evening ladies!

Happy Late Valentine's Day ladies!  I am glad to hear that all of you had a great day.

Beth-Your dd's boyfriend sounds like a keeper, how exciting!  And the pre-holiday dinner is a great idea!  Have you found your crochet mojo?  Do you have to make up snow days?

Joanne-what great finds for Ryan! woohooo!  How exciting for dd too.  Growing kids can be expensive, luckily we love them soo soo much.  Oh gosh!  I would have freaked out if my knitting cable had broke, I can't imagine.  I struggle keeping the stitches on with the circular needles.  I ordered the next size up, I think it was a 7 so that I can practice more.

Stacy-will you get to student teach in a preschool classroom?  I can remember when I did my student teaching, how fun!  I had so many activities planned every day that the kids loved being in my classroom.  It takes a lot of planning but it's so worth it.

I had the weekend off..3 days of hanging out with my family, crocheting and reading. I took a break from life and just snuggled down at home resting.  I feel like I have lost my creative mojo, hope it comes back soon.  I do not feel like working on anything..perhaps I will just take a lil break until it returns full force.

On Saturday, the kiddos and I whipped up meatloaf (dh's favorite dish), mashed potatoes, gravy, cherry pie and ice cream.  I seriously have issues touching raw meat but I tried..the meatloaf came out fairly decent, the guys scarfed it down.  I also bought the hubby flowers, he was so surprised.  Too cute!  He always spoils me and bought me the biggest card I have ever seen, chocolates and my favorite drink.  All in all it was a good day.  Spending time with the family was the best part.

I have had 2 of my students come in today for crochet help.  I set up a table in the hallway in between Joyce's shop and mine, works out wonderfully!  

It's almost time to head home, have a great evening!  hugs n squishes! 

Hi ladies!

Leeann, sorry to hear your creative mojo has disappeared.  Hope you find it soon!  You are always so busy, I'm sure it was nice for you to just relax on your days off.  It's so sweet that you bought your hubby flowers!  And made his favorite dinner...I have issues touching raw meat, also.  I can handle chicken, but ground meat really grosses me out.  Bleh!!  To answer your question, I am working in the 3-year-old classroom.  Today was my first day!  It was kind of awkward, I think...but I think most first days are. 

Joanne, glad to hear you found great deals for Ryan's clothes!  It is always helpful to find sales...especially at this age, when they grow like weeds.  Did you get enough snow for a work-at-home day? 

Beth, I'm sorry to hear your job is not working out, but I agree- it's not worth it to be miserable and deal with all that stress! Your Friday celebration sounds wonderful!  I think at a certain point, it becomes not so much about what you do, as who you do it with.  :yes 

After I picked up the kiddos today, dh called to ask if we wanted to meet at the park.  So we ran while the kiddos biked, then played at the playground.  I am tired!  I'm not a huge fan of running, but we started with the Couch-to-5K app, and it's one minute run/1-1/2 minutes walk, 8 times.  And I need to exercise anyway, so doing it with dh is much more fun. 

The girls both got their report cards this week.  It looks like they are doing well, but the charter schools have a different way of grading, so it's hard to be sure. Alex's were distributed today, also, but he went on a field trip to a leadership conference today so he will get it tomorrow.  Mia has a field trip on Friday to the science center, where they will also get to see the space shuttle Endeavor.  Eva's class is having a movie party on Friday, and she is allowed to take a pillow or blanket with her.  Sounds fun!

Well, I better scoot.  Love and hugs!

Hi all,

I feel so lazy!  No school all week because of 6 inches of snow (and presidents day!)  I will say that the snow has been melting a bit and freezing at night so there is a lot of ice involved.  I haven't been out of the house, except to walk the dogs, though, so I don't know first hand how the roads are.

My husband's nephew asked me to make him a Magic carp (pokemon) hat, similar to the shark I made for my son a few years ago.  How could I say no?  I need to go yarn shopping, though.  I can't believe I don't have everything I need with the stash I have!

Stacy, 3 years old are so much fun!  I hope you love your student teaching, once it gets past the awkward stage.  The running/biking family time sounds great, and I don't like running, either.  I like the sound of the program.  I might be able to run for a minute, maybe.  I'm guessing the time spent running and walking will change as you get used to it?  I hope you are happy with Alex's report card.  The leadership conference and field trips sound very cool. 

LeeAnn, I hope you found your creative mojo.  It is easy to get burned out.  You've been working very hard with no break for a long time.  Your valentine day sounds nice.  I'll bet your husband feels very loved.

Joanne, I hope work and the snow are treating you alright.  I can't believe I've been off almost a whole week.  It wouldn't have been 2 days if I lived in Ohio.  Congrats on the finds for Ryan at Kohl's.  You always seem to find something great when you go there.

Well, I need to see if the local WalMart is open, so I can get some yarn.  It was closed yesterday because too many employees didn't show up for work.

Quick stop in to say hi!!!

Stacy- I was a preschool teacher's aide many, many moons ago when my dd's were in preschool-- I LOVE the 3 and 4 year olds-that's why I'm having so much fun with Ryan now---he's at my favorite age!! LOL  Robbie is catching up- can't believe he'll be 2 next month

Going to craft club tonight- between snow, ice, cold, president's day- haven't been in 3 weeks- I'm getting withdrawl.....

I did get the cable replaced at the LYS yesterday and Yay me, i had only dropped one stitch when I scotch taped it up after capturing the stitches that fell off...i can now go back to working on the knitted blanket---which I'll bring to cC tonight---

have a good night everyone!

Good afternoon ladies!

Beth-are you back to work this week?  I bet having the week off was wonderful.  I'm so glad that you had time to regroup.  When does your school year end?

Joanne-your grand's are growing super fast! Before you know it, they will be in school. wow!  I am so happy for you, only losing one stitch is super impressive.  Woohooo!  How's your dh feeling?  Happy happy!  Craft Club sounds like an excellent idea!

Stacy-Preschoolers are my ultimate favorite age, the 4-5 year olds are just he best!  I kinda miss those days but then I think about all of the freedom I have now and can't imagine going back.  Will you get to take over the class?

My creative mojo finally returned, took a good week for me to feel like making something.  I whipped up lots of soap over the weekend and have a few more new ideas..but I have a few Etsy orders to make.  So glad about that, I am hoping to get to 1000 sales by May...I think I can, I think I can!

Nothing too exciting here except for snow..lots of snow and cold weather.  Can't wait for spring, feels like a long winter.

Working on a new crochet scarf, back to hooking!  Have a great day friends!

Archived