a_stitchintime

Some good clean fun?!

Thanks to the WIP Week CAL, a bunch of us decided that this would be a fun experiment:

The idea is really simple:

for every X amount of time spent cleaning, organizing, running errands, etc. - we earn the same amount of time to :crocheting. It always seems to me that part B of this equation tends to get lost, right? And the "winners" each week would be all of us...being able to :drool over all the pics of AWESOME finshed projects!:yay Such a Deal!!!:yes:devil

See if you can get motivated to get your house in order, and get some great projects done!

...and just think of how NICE everything will look, which will, of course, gain you MORE time to :crocheting:devil ...see where I am going with this :?

links to patterns:

http://www.crochetnmore.com/looptoloopdishtowel.htm

http://www.coatsandclark.com/Crafts/Crochet/Projects/AfghansThrows/LW1595+Crochet+Corner-to-Corner+Throw.htm

mystery CAL we are playing with in November: http://www.sarahlondon.wordpress.com.

How about some cleaning tips?:

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo0811 viewpost.gif

As far as any cleaning tips go, I am probably not doing anything that you don't already do or know. These are just ones that I heard about and have used numerous times over the years. But here are a few:

Toilets- 2 cups of vinegar in the bowl; let set for a few hours or overnight before flushing. Presto, clean toilet with minimal or no scrubbing OR 2 denture tablets (I buy the cheap ones for $1 at the dollar store) in bowl; let fizz for a little bit; scrub minimally with brush.

I use a lot of vinegar & water solutions (sometimes add baking soda). I use a lot of baking soda & water solutions/pastes. Vinegar/water/baking soda solution works great for wiping down stove and inside of refrigerator. Food will absorb/pickup the taste and odor of cleaners/disinfectants. The acid in the vinegar helps deter mildew.

Soap Scum- Cheap/inexpensive shampoo will remove soap scum in the bathtub with little scrubbing. After that I just spray tub with disinfectant wipe down & rinse. Sometimes I use a soap scum remover.

Rubbing alcohol (great disinfectant) will clean chrome fixtures & mirrors quickly.If you want to make a solution for mirrors it is 1 part alcohol and 4 parts water. No streaking!!!! Rubbing alcohol also works well on tile. Pour directly on tile and wipe/mop until it is dry. Plain white toothpaste/Baby Oil will also put a nice shine to chrome fixtures. Toothpaste is also good for removing skid marks on lineoleum. Rub toothpaste on mark and then mop as usual. Colgate Toothpaste & damp sponge will also remove crayon marks from the wall(wipe/scrub carefully). Rubbing alcohol will remove scuff marks/pen or pencil marks from walls. Apply aclohol to dry cloth and wipe.

Moistened rag with water that has been rung out very,very well for dusting. Any dry/drab looking furniture I will then apply lemon oil/polish. Dust clings to the water moistened rag better than using just a rag & polish. I also use cloth diapers as they tend to leave less/no lint residue.

Shower doors- Wiping with Lemon oil removes buildup and will prevent future build up. Shower door tracks I use undiluted vinegar; let set for a several minutes then rinse away with water.

Vinegar placed in small containers around the house will eliminate/absorb household odors. Pure vanilla on a cottonball will also do the same thing.

Clorox disinfecting wipes work great on toilets, countertops and other nonpourous surfaces. I use lots of these :lol.

Orange based concentrated cleaners also work wonders on soap scum and hard to clean/stained surfaces.

Coffee pot/maker- fill with water add 2-3 spoons of cream of tartar or baking soda; let percolate; when water has cooled scrub with a sponge and :2magic it is clean. You can also use vinegar/water solution to remove calcium build up, but the key to this one is that you have to do it several times until water runs clear.

Garbage Disposal- Cut up lemon place in disposal add a paste of baking soda & water; turn on and disposal smells fresh and is clean.

Trash cans- moisten cotton ball with a natural oil such as eucalyptus/rose/vanilla place in bottom of can add trash bag and it will help with trash/food odors. In my small waste paper baskets I do the same thing or I buy the cheap dryer sheets at dollar store and place in the bottom. Borax sprinkled in bottom of trash cans will also work.

If something spills over in the oven, immediately sprinkle with salt; when cooled wipe away with a damp cloth/sponge.

For stains in a white sink- use 1/2 cup of salt and scrub with lemon. Let sit for a few mins then rinse away.

Wow, I am trying to :think of other things I use :lol.

Run your sponges thru the dishwasher every few days, as they breed bacteria. Throw away after a few weeks. I don't have a dishwasher so I boil mine in water with a little bleach.

Cleaning carpets- Vacuum well. Dry cleaner- 2 cups of cornmeal 1 cup of Borax. Sprinkle on carpet. Let set an hour then vacuum. Pet odors- sprinkle baking soda on carpet; let set an hour and vacuum. 2 parts water and one part ammonia works well on carpet stains.

Where fingerprints tend to appear on walls and doors- starch will add a nice little coating to resist these marks.

:birthday

Vicki - January 27

Beth - May 24

LeeAnn - June 10

LeaAnne - August 6

Scooby - August 11

Stacy - August 31

Joanne - October 10

Colleen - November 2

Mary - November 9

Sarah - November 20

Shannon - December 3

Judy - December 15

Edited by a_stitchintime
added LeeAnn's and Sarah's birthdays :)
  • Like 1

Thanks! I'm not sure HOW i'll do the wigs, as I have no mohair yarn, or anyhting of that sort..........:)

I got a Michael's one! (insert Cabbage Patch here.)

Cool! I got a Michaels gift card for Christmas also! :D

@Colleenka: SOOO cute! :D:lol how it came to be! lol

my computer is acting really weird, and keeps wiping out my posts.

I will keep it quick, and send out hugs to you all....

I have a date with DH tonight, so I wanted to wish you all fun at chat! btw... it's party time... this CAL will be over 10,000 posts tonight!

I'll try to come by later, if I can... if not, please know I am thinking of you!

<hugz>

Hi all- just wanted to let you all know I've arrived safely in Boston! Well actually Somerville, but I always refer to coming up here as Boston!! I'm at the independent bookstore that I love, having a cup of cafe mocha. DD should be here shortly and then we'll walk across the street to have dinner.

Colleen- I love the hat- but that is so funny how yours came out small, Stacys came out big. I actually bought the pattern up here with me and was going to try it. I was going to use WW yarn since that is all I have with me. Wonder why such a big difference in size?? Maybe I'll wait till i get home. I brought the rest of the green yarn that DD had picked out and I have 2 1/2 balls left- I'm going to ask her what she wants with it-- hat, fingerless gloves? I already made the Happy Hooker scarf with it.

Frogger- good to hear from you!

Vicki- Congrats to your co-worker on the cute little bundle of joy! Good luck getting that sweater done. Hope you can stay awake in your 'magical' chair!!

Sarah- WOW- that's quite a puddle you have there! No wonder you can't let Keith out to run around!!

LeaAnne- have fun on your date tonight! And sorry the computer is acting wonky!

Stacy- good luck with the decision about the car- It's a tough one. I have a car payment and have had my car 3 1/2 years and am itching to trade it in and get an SUV! Mind you there is nothing wrong with my car!

Everyone else- have a great weekend- Not sure what is on the agenda- I know DD wants to go to the MFA (Museum of Fine Arts) and also to the Isabella Gardner Art Museum. Not sure if she was able to get tix for the Bruins game @ 1 on Sunday....and of course, I need to watch some football this weekend!!!

Hugs to all!

1000th page................AWSOME!!!!!:yay:rofl:woo

Time to......:party!!!!!

What's the Happy Hooker scarf, imanurse???

Its a one skein scarf from the book Happy Hooker by Debbie Stoller- it's really pretty and easy!

[ATTACH]15288[/ATTACH]

Here is my hat from the latest Crochet Today magazine. It would probably fit a 1 yo (the pattern is supposed to fit an adult :lol). I think I'll keep it for a baby gift. Maybe make a matching scarf. :shrug I did use up some of my sport weight scraps :tup And I probably have enough to make 2 more of these.

Stacy - Good luck with the decision on the car. Just do what feels right. :hug

Off to make burgers!

very cute.

Hi girls!

Before I forget (again), Scooby I love your rug! That is so cool! And Joanne I love your hat and scarf set! They look so nice and warm. And Colleen I love your baby hat! The colors are beautiful together!

Okay. Guess what??? I finally took my tree down today! It's about time, huh? My Christmas spirit came a little late, so it didn't bother me. After all, our town still has the lights on their poles up and lit!

I don't think I'll be here for chat tonight. I'll try to stop in when I can. After tonight I don't know when I'll be back on. I'll miss you guys! Have a wonderful weekend! Love you!!:manyheart

Happy 10,000th post to whoever the lucky gal is. That is very exciting!

Ok so I gave in... Keith kept pestering me to let me go play in the puddles so.... I did... then brought him gave him a warm shower, dried him w/ a warmed towel and put warm clothes on him immediately

[ATTACH]15292[/ATTACH]

How much rain have you gotten there Vicki?

Hi Vicki- Hi Sarah

i bet Keith had fun in the puddles!!

Weather up here is nice- it was around 45 degrees when I arrived and by the time we left the restaurant it was only down to 41- glad it is not suppose to be frigid cold like it's been the past week or so

After dinner we stopped at this place called Kick A** Cupcakes! Yummy! and that is how they spell the name of the place and they really are Kick A**:lol

I don't know how much rain we got over here. It was drizzling rain when I left school. I didn't look in the pool to see how much rain we got. Did you get a lot more down by you?

He had a blast. I got lots of pictures :D (of course)

Vicki- how is the sweater coming? I can't believe you are up and didn't fall asleep in your magical chair!

The Ville seems really slow tonight- seems to happen more often lately. Takes a while to post

Hey Joanne! Glad you had a safe trip up to Boston! What kind of Kick A** Cupcake did you have? It must have been good!

I had a chocolate chip mint- it was so good. For dinner I had homemade ravioli with spinach, portabello mushroom, sun dried tomatoes in a white garlic sauce. It was so good....and I am so full!

Yes, the 'ville is slow tonight. And yes, I am amazed that I am awake and didn't fall asleep in my "magic" chair! I was almost falling asleep before dinner, but I got up and did dinner and have been awake ever since. If I had picked up my paper, I probably would be asleep by now!

I don't know how much rain we got over here. It was drizzling rain when I left school. I didn't look in the pool to see how much rain we got. Did you get a lot more down by you?

at least 3 inches... our whole yard is one big lake, as is under out trailer flooded...

Ooh, a mint chocolate chip cupcake sound wonderful! I wish I could have that! The ravioli I could do without. But the cupcake I would take any day!

Yes, the 'ville is slow tonight. And yes, I am amazed that I am awake and didn't fall asleep in my "magic" chair! I was almost falling asleep before dinner, but I got up and did dinner and have been awake ever since. If I had picked up my paper, I probably would be asleep by now!

lol that's what happens when I sit in the chair w/ Keith at naptime, I fall asleep so he gets bored and falls asleep too :lol