HELP! Aran Toggle Wrap AGAIN!

RenJac1301

Question

Ok this Aran Toggle Wrap is a challange :( I finally got the part I had trouble with to end up with another problem,

I need help with the instructions for the right front.

HELP!

Here Is the link to pattern if you need to look at it

http://www.coatsandclark.com/Crafts/Crochet/Projects/Accessories/WR1771+Aran+Toggle+Wrap.htm

I just counted the stitches on the Right Front (I think they should be mirror images?) and it would take 32 dc not the 34 the pattern calls for to match up on mine, either the 34 called for is not right or I messed up somewhere (quite possible!) and now I think I might try working it backwards toward the center instead of from it to see what I can do. I do not want to rip this whole thing out and start an afghan!

the right front you're decreasing 12 stitches from 46 to 34.

the left front you're increasing 12 stitches from 34 to 46.

so the directions are right as far as that's concerned.

be patient, if she figured out how to make it

we can figure out how to remake it!

Edited by boogiedu

the other problem I found is with rows 3 and 5: Ch 4, slip st in first 2 chs, sc in next ch, hdc in next ch, (Bpdc in next sc, Fpdc in next hdc), *BPDC in next st, fpdc in next st; repeat from * across, turn.

It looks fine until I get to (bpdc in next sc, fpdc in next hdc). After doing the hdc in next ch, I don't have any sc or hdc stitches at that point only dc stitches. If you have any insight, that would be appreciated too. I'm going to sleep on it tonight.

your sc & hdc are from row 2.

i put them in bold for you to reference to.

Rows 2 and 4: Ch 2, *Fpdc in next dc, Bpdc in next dc;

repeat from * to last hdc, Fpdc in hdc, Bpdc in sc, hdc in

next slip st, sc in last slip st, turn.

That's what I thought- that those 2 stitches were from row 2, but when I got to that point there were no hdc or sc stitches from row 2, just the regular dc stitches. I'm missing something again and it's really simple like before.

Maybe I put the sl st in the wrong chain and that's why it's not falling right. Does it mean sl st in first 2 chs that was actually part of the ch 4? I'll have to try it when I get back from work. I'll let you know what happens.

thanks again.

Hi from London, I had the same problem as everyone else on those rows. I have done it but it doesn't look right, but hey so what I can re-do it. I'm stuck on the next set of instructions. I would (and everyone else) appreciate your help.

Hi,

I found my mistake when I did row 3: After chaining 4, I was supposed to have worked/put the 2 sl st, sc, and hdc stitches into those ch 4 stitches. Throughout the pattern whenever you chained at the end of the row and started the next row, you didn't put any stitches in those chain stitches, you went to the one next to it and thats what I did for row 3. This was a different twist to it and that's why it threw me off.

Hallelujah!

PS here's what the instructions for rows 3 and 5 state:

Ch 4, slip st in first 2 chs, sc in next ch, hdc in next ch, (Bpdc in next sc, Fpdc in next hdc), *BPDC in next st, fpdc in next st; repeat from * across, turn.

I am unclear what I have to do here.LEFT SIDE

Return to Row 44 of Back Neck to work across all sts and

join for Left Side. (I don't understand this part)

Row 45: Work as established for 70 sts, ch 32, work

across 46 sts of Left Front, turn. (I don't understand this part either)

Row 46: Work as established, working dc in each ch,

across, turn – 148 sts. Place marker after 74th st for center

of Shoulder.

I am unclear what I have to do here.LEFT SIDE

Return to Row 44 of Back Neck to work across all sts and

join for Left Side. (I don't understand this part)

Row 45: Work as established for 70 sts, ch 32, work

across 46 sts of Left Front, turn. (I don't understand this part either)

Row 46: Work as established, working dc in each ch,

across, turn – 148 sts. Place marker after 74th st for center

of Shoulder.

Go back to the yarn that's on the left side of your pic (the first ball). Turn, Ch 2 and work the Fpdc Bpdc as you had been doing. When you run out of stitches to work in, ch 32. After the 32nd chain, begin working in the stitches of the left front piece that you've fastened off. I actually used a hdc in the sc of row 5.

Turn. Ch 2, work Fpdc Bpdc all the way across for 148 stiches. If I'm looking at mine right, Row 46 begins Bpdc in next stitch.

Clear as mud? I do hope this helps. I hope I picked up on what's got you stuck. That's a pretty color. I'm using Red Heart claret.

Your picture looks like mine did at that point, so I think you've got it right.

Edited by PurpleRainbow
Forgot something

i am trying to work this out.

it appears that there's at least one typo somewhere.

Yes, I agree there's a typo.

LEFT FRONT

Rows 2 and 4: Ch 2, *Fpdc in next dc, Bpdc in next dc;

repeat from * to last hdc, Bpdc in hdc, Fpdc in sc, hdc in

next slip st, sc in last slip st, turn.

Rows 3 and 5: Ch 4, slip st in first 2 chs, sc in next ch, hdc

in next ch, Bpdc in next sc, Bpdc in next hdc, *Bpdc in next

st, Fpdc in next st; repeat from * across, turn.

I've bolded the changes I made and it works for me. It's basically what I wanted to do all along but thought I had to follow the instructions. The 2 Bpdc next to each other seem really odd but it works. Just don't get thrown off on the return row, keep alternating as usual

Thanks, everyone! I couldn't have done this without all of you. :cheer If I can do, you can too.

Sorry everyone I'm really confused, so is this wrap not one long piece???. The picture throws me as it appears to be one long piece thats buttoned together. But if I join the 32 chains to the 46 stitches left Oh god I don't even know what I am trying to say. sorry folks

Sorry folks I am sooooooooo confused with this, do you work the left front

separately ?? cos I am doing something wrong and I just cannot figure out where I have gone wrong. When I chain the 32 to join for left front it just doesn't look right. I think I may have to unpick a few rows of what I have done so far and rework it. Thank you all for your support I couldn't have got this far without your advice.

:yes yes.

thank you. I sooooooo wish i hadn't started this project. I haven't done anything like this before, but when I read through some of the instructions it seemed doable. Wow was I soooooooooo wrong! I just don't get the instructions.

thank you. I sooooooo wish i hadn't started this project. I haven't done anything like this before, but when I read through some of the instructions it seemed doable. Wow was I soooooooooo wrong! I just don't get the instructions.

if you've got this far the rest should be fairly easy.

and look at all you have learned!

you are a more experienced crocheter plus

you'll have a nice looking garment to your credit.

i'm still hanging in there with it. I'm bound and determined to finish this. I got this far. Did have to make some adjustments to get it to work right, so don't know if it was a problem with the instructions or if i just read it wrong. i've been tempted many times myself to throw it in the closet,, but like boogiedu said i've become "a more experienced crocheter."

you might not remember it but i'll bet you fell down a lot

when you were a baby and learning to walk . this is really no different.

i forget the number of times [ i think it was in the thousands]that

thomas edison failed before he got the lightbulb right.

so the more you crochet challenging pieces the less unsure

you'll feel the next time.

Edited by boogiedu

I finally got it!:cheer I had got myself so confused that I wasn't thinking straight. I have managed to join the left front to the rest of the work and am finally looking forward to finishing this project. I would like to say a BIG THANK YOU :rose to all of you for your support. I am still unsure if what I have done is correct but I hope the picture will help those who like me were stuck and unsure of the way to p:roseroceed.

post-28604-135897404589_thumb.jpg

I am still unsure if what I have done is correct but I hope the picture will help those who like me were stuck and unsure of the way to p:roseroceed.

Looks right to me. Great job! :clap

Thank you, everyone! This was much more bearable knowing we are sharing the experience, you've all helped me more than you can realize.

I finally finished the main part of this wretched wrap and want it bigger so I'm considering adding rows of single crochet to enlarge it. I ran into some problems such as the bobble rows were to be worked from *I think* the right side so they poked out on the wrong side and I had to alter the instructions to get it to work out and then the treble and double crochet stitch part gave me problems somehow. If anyone wants I can try to work out how I did it and let you know. I have some scribbled notes and can look at the piece to try to come up with how I did it. I'm perfectly willing to go to the effort but if no one else runs into the same problems, I think there's no point. Let me know.

I'm glad I made this shawl. I will do another but will work it out on my own and forget the pattern. It should be fun next time around. Great learning opportunity.

Well done, you should be proud of yourself. It certainly was a big headache. The real big problem I had was getting to grips with the left front I wasn't reading the instructions properly and therefore was pulling my hair out.

The way I got round the treble and double crochet stitch was by turning the work slightly, that way it was much earier to work. I have just reallised that I'm one row short on the left side therefore had to unpick four rows of work. Never mind, I'm still pleased with the result. I just hope that my mum likes it, I will be going over to see her next month so I can't wait.

i am impressed with how good it looks.

good job!

Thank you, I couldn't have done it without your help:hug

Its funny how strangers help each other, when sometimes those that you know don't even help you!

Thank you, I couldn't have done it without your help:hug

Its funny how strangers help each other, when sometimes those that you know don't even help you!

thank you, :2blush

you guys did all the work.:tup i just clarified the instructions and pointed out some things that were overlooked which can and does happen to everyone at times. i did contact the designer she said that coats and clark had bought it; that she didn't have any rights to it anymore. coats and clark have responded that they were looking into it and would let me know.

they must have got lost because i've not received any thing else so far.:irk