Newspaper column

Forgive me if this is the wrong place for this, but I couldn't figure out where else to put it.

I was wondering what this wonderful village of crafters of all sorts would have to say to this question:

If your local newspaper were to have a regular column about crafts (again, of all sorts) what types of things would you like to see in said column? (keeping in mind that the topics would have to be able to be kept to a certain number of words/column inches).

I'd sure love to know what you all think.

Thanks in advance

Joyce

I imagine people would be interested in reading about crafters making things for charity or a craft being passed on through generations (grandmother taught mother, who in turn taught her daughter, who taught her daughter). Stuff like that. :-)

I would think maybe project ideas pertaining to the season maybe, like spring crafts or summers crafts. Maybe low budget type crafts, As well as what Heather414 has said. Maybe include stories also about people and thier unique/odd/clever/unusual craft they do. I think a variety of different things would be good to read.

I'd like to see an article about reusing items, to save money. Maybe examples from the Great Depression. Ideas for starting a new craft on little money. Stories about how crafting is relaxing and a healthy outlet, keeping your mind busy instead of watching tv or the computer so much. And how portable some crafts can be. Just a few ideas :)

My local newspaper does have a regular craft column. It appears in the Sunday paper. The columnist writes about all sorts of crafts, but many of them have to do with people who craft as a business. I remember one column about crocheting, probably last winter, and one about knitting this winter. Quilting, model trains, handmade jewellry, clothing design, baby clothes and toys have been recent subjects.

here is a few: reusing yarn like from an old sweater and making it into a scarf, teaching our young about crafts, interviewing people that are in the craft stores or local yarn shops (not the owners) and asking them what they enjoy most about the craft.

If the newspaper has an online version, you can put patterns, etc, on the website and reference them from the newspaper column. That would free up space in your column with the added benefit of drawing "customers" to your newspaper's website. Before Amy chimes in, I have to remind you that if you post things on your website, you must have the owner's permission....

If the newspaper has an online version, you can put patterns, etc, on the website and reference them from the newspaper column. That would free up space in your column with the added benefit of drawing "customers" to your newspaper's website. Before Amy chimes in, I have to remind you that if you post things on your website, you must have the owner's permission....

Oh yeah, no worries there with regard to copyright. It's something writers are real sensitive to.

I think it would be great to talk to some of the older crafters. ...to get their views of how crafting has changed over time. How they view their own work would be of interest to me.''

I do think some simple patterns that are standard could be nice once in a while. I like the online idea for linking to patterns.

I think Cindy and I read the same article. When I was in Florida several years ago in the Tampa paper once a week they had an article about sewing. They promoted a certain pattern weekly and also had tips from readers.

Seasonal crafts. Crafts using things you have on hand. Ones that you don't have to buy any special equipment or supplies for. Recycle things you have on hand.

School / Scout crafts

Craft and History (ie Knit your Bit project from the WWII Museum in New Orleans)

And special interviews with

Debbie Macomber

Vicoria Cole-Galo and Janet Bristow

Bendy Carter

Reviews of craft tools (ie Dremmel, Scroll Saws, etc..)

Jimbo should definitely be featured. And Bill Scmidt from T-O-C

What about a column here and there on the history of a craft along with some pointers on how to get started with references to books and/or websites? If your column can include pictures how about a regular call for pictures of outstanding work done by our grandmothers?

And how about a column when a local scout troop (boy or girl) tackles a craft project? Ceramics/pottery making, candle making, heck, even soap making I hear is coming back.

I think it would be a great column; too bad our local paper doesn't have one like it. Patty

The Detroit News does have a Crafting Blog. It is in the online version as well as once a week in the print version.

Crafting with Jocelynn Brown

Sew it, bead it, knit it -- make it

http://apps.detnews.com/apps/blogs/craftblog/index.php

Thanks for that link. That blog is a great snapshot of how to do it locally!

Archived