Snuggles for shelters

I'm a major animal lover and I was on the email list for crochet partners and someone gave this link for animal blankets that they make for their local shelter. http://www.h4ha.org/snuggles/

You do have to make sure that the animal shelter will accept them though. Sometimes they don't have a laundry room to wash the balnkets so they won't take them.

After I finish my baby blanket for a little girl I think I'm gonna make one of these.

Kristin

There's a list of shelters on their site that takes them.Allthough I will forwarn you me and my kids took 11 handmade blankets to the shelter by us and we went in the back to look at the dogs and took one outside and we saw a big storage shed with a ton of blankets kinda made me feel bad but my 16 yr old informed me yeh but Mom yours are awesome those others were just junk :) It looked like people had brought in a bunch of old tattered blankets.

I got that link here a few months ago, myself. I've been working on blankets ever since, getting rid of my huge stash.

I have a few done -- almost enough for a load of laundry to wash them before I donate them. I think I am going to keep working, and plan to donate them in the fall, just as the weather starts getting cooler, and they will really need them.

With temps in the 90s this week, I'm thinking the dogs and cats are probably shunning their Snuggles for the cool cement floor. Ugh. I know if I didn't have air conditioning, that's what I would be doing!!!!! It's NASTY. My husband got mild heatstroke playing golf last night ("What does it mean when you get really tired and nauseous and hot? The last hole was torture!" "Um, heatstroke?" "Go me!" :ohdear ), and I was soaked in my own sweat just from my short drive to work last night (no AC in car).

Um, so anyway, back on topic...

I have a bunch made, and after I wash them, I will take pics and post them. My local shelter ( http://www.lollypop.org ) does accept them. :D

Kristin, thanks for the link. I already volunteer with my local Humane Society, but now that I know I can indulge 2 of my favorite things at the same time... I printed out the info for my mom for her local shelters, because her granddaughter is interested in learning to crochet, but easily bored. However, my neice loves animals, so this might be a great way for grandma and granddaughter to bond. And to suck my niece into crocheting! :P Patty

I started a snuggleblankies project and found the h4ha.org snuggles site too. I've now made and donated somewhere around 250 little blankies and two of the city newspapers did an interview and story on my project and people all over the city donated yarn so I could continue with making them as at the time I had almost used up all the yarn. It was AMAZING to see the number of people that love animals,..thank goodness us furbaby lovers far outnumber the ones that don't take care of their pets!

There's a picture of my dog and me (doggy adopted from a shelter) modelling with us covered up in one of my 50+ blankie delivery time. So glad to see others making blankies too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I am working on this as well. I plan to have a learn to knit and learn to crochet get together locally to make these snuggles for the Shelbyville Humane Society. If anyone is interested to join in, contact me.

Hope

Shelbyville, KY

• 4 weeks later...

Update, the development manager emailed me back today with this message:

"Hello Anna,

It would be wonderful of you to donate the blankets. Our little kitties and

the pups love to cuddle up to something soft!

Thanks so much for your thoughtfulness!"

I've got a go from the Kitsap Humane Society, give your local shelter/humane society an email or call if you're wondering, I'm glad I did!

:clap

• 3 weeks later...

hello to all. i am writing from oskaloosa iowa where i work at an animal shelter. we are a small establishment located in the middle of nowhere. if anyone would like to help us and crochet some snuggles or "lovies" as i call them it would be greatly appreciated. we are looking for 10x10 inches for our cats and 12x12 inches for our dogs. a sturdy stitch that will stand up to many washes and lots of snuggles. we wont turn you away. you can check us out online by doing a search for Stephen Memorial Animal Shelter or www.smas.petfinder.com. thank you very much.

kristina

• 3 weeks later...

i dumbed off a good 15+ blankies and about 10+ pillows for my local shelter a few days before Christmas so the doggies could snuggle up to something. it felt really good to do that. if you haven't done so, donate to your local shelter! :hook

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Think this is really cool, I saw it a few months ago and got a bunch of patterns on their website. I have to get going on these, might even make one for one of my furbabies.

liz

I've made at least 50 of the snuggles for one of our local shelters, here in Michigan.....but that was two years ago..:eek I think when I am caught up on my latest crochet commitments, I will have to make some more...for another shelter. I'm glad that I'm not the only animal lover here :clap . I feel so sorry for those little furry friends who are abused and abandoned. They don't deserve to be treated this way.

Daisy.

• 3 weeks later...

This is great! I placed an online ad yesterday looking for people's old yarn to start making some animal blankets, and I'm going to pick up yarn from two women today! I can't wait to get started, thanks to the Snuggles website, I've found several shelters I didn't even know about near me. Thanks!

Archived