3rd Annual Afghans for NICU Babies for Christmas - THANK YOU NOTE POST 356

My mother will arrive tomorrow and help me get everything packaged and ready to go. During the year, I store the afghans in 2 75 gallon rubbermaid containers. I will transfer everything to smaller boxes and group things together by size for the hospital. Friday, Mom and I will go in the afternoon to deliver everything. In addition to the 202 afghans, there are a number of hats, and booties to go as well. Plus, my mother has been making scarves and hats for the older children at the hospital. She has over 50 pieces in all!

I'll post on Friday evening to tell you all how the drop off went!

Thank you so much to all of you - you've humbled me with your overwhelming generosity - you are giving a terrified family a glimmer of hope in a time when they need it most - and you are literally wrapping a sick child in your love.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just finished packing everything up. My Dad has been saving the boxes that the office paper comes in at his work.

We have 14 boxes of newborn and larger sized afhgans

1 box of hats and booties

8 boxes of preemie sized ghans

3 boxes of hats and scarves from my mom for the older kids

I hope it all fits in the truck!

Tonight, my mom the kids and I went to a holiday event in town. While we were there, I ran into the Neonatologist from the hospital that my son was born at. He was the doctor that determined that Nathan needed to go to Oakland Children's Hospital. I introduced myself and reminded him of Nathan's ailment -His illness was rather bizare, so even all these years later Nathan was easily remembered. It was wonderful to see him again - he was thrilled to see how healthy my son is and it was truly a night I will never forget. How fitting to see him on the eve of going to bring all your wonderful gifts to the hospital.

I'll post tomorrow after the drop off (it will be mid to late afternoon west coast time) to let you all know how it went!

The hospital was thrilled to get the afghans. I was met by one of the workers who had a huge dolly to put the boxes on, and it was too small! They were just overwhelmed by all we had brought. Thank you once again for all your help, you all have made the holidays so much brighter for some sick children. Thank you so much!!

The hospital was thrilled to get the afghans. I was met by one of the workers who had a huge dolly to put the boxes on, and it was too small! They were just overwhelmed by all we had brought. Thank you once again for all your help, you all have made the holidays so much brighter for some sick children. Thank you so much!!

What a site you must of been with all those boxes of baby afghans. You should have had a forklift! :lol

What a wonderful project and I just want to say thank you again for all your hard work coordinating all the shipments, packing and storing the items, and delivering them to the hospital. God bless and Merry Christmas! :hug

Glad to hear that all went well. Will start on next year's 'ghans after the holidays. Also am thinking that maybe some of the hospitals here might want some (checked with Stony Brook, our local tertiary care, and they weren't interested -- fear of infection, allergies...)

I"m going to get started after the first of the year on next year's ghans too! Melindawitchy, I've sent you a PM.

Thank you again everyone. In the past, I've always gotten a thank you card from the hospital. When I get it, I"ll make sure to post the contents for you all!

Just responded to the PM. I'm still at the same address. I heard from another person today who has 2010 ghans ready to go too! How exciting that the collection gets started just a few days after the last delivery.

Feel free to send ghans whenever you'd like. I have two gigantic (75 gallons I think), locking rubbermaid containers that I store most of the ghans in, and they stay in a closed rubbermaid shed. They'll be nice and safe until next delivery!

Sounds like I need to get one of those Rubbermaid containers. Each blanket was washed and packed in a ziplock bag then put in a box on top of the freezer in the laundry room. This ziplock was to keep the cats from sleeping on the blankets. Had to put the box on the freezer to keep the cats from sleeping in the box. I have one cat that amazes me by stuffing himself into boxes half his size.

I have some also...how I hate tucking those tails! Miss my mom, she used to do that for me and I got spoiled. Even when I sewed, I'd get to the hem and she'd do it. Think this better be a New Year's resolution -- tuck tails as I go!

Looks like I'll need to put up the 2010 post pretty soon!

Tucking tails - part of the reason why I don't do little squares - man how I hate it! I actually did they Cathedrawl Window afghan - that was a killer with all the ends to weave in!

I, too, hate tucking tails. That's why I work over them whenever I can. Also, if I don't tuck them in as I go along, it's too overwhelming for me at the end and I will put it off forever!

Thank you guys so much for doing this. My daughter was in the NICU earlier this year and at my NICU they all had lovely quilts over the isolettes. It makes it easy to see your baby's iso from a distance and provides a little warmth and comfort in such a stark environment.

It was a long time after her birth before I was able to see her (18 hours), and when I went up there it was so intimidating even though I am a health care worker. but the quilts and the crocheted and knitted hats were little patches of warmth.

All the mothers would gab about them too. Everyone was so thrilled to bring the quilts home. One mother was sneaking hers out :lol

So just wanted to say thank you from a NICU Mum.

:hug

Thank you guys so much for doing this. My daughter was in the NICU earlier this year and at my NICU they all had lovely quilts over the isolettes. It makes it easy to see your baby's iso from a distance and provides a little warmth and comfort in such a stark environment.

It was a long time after her birth before I was able to see her (18 hours), and when I went up there it was so intimidating even though I am a health care worker. but the quilts and the crocheted and knitted hats were little patches of warmth.

All the mothers would gab about them too. Everyone was so thrilled to bring the quilts home. One mother was sneaking hers out :lol

So just wanted to say thank you from a NICU Mum.

:hug

Thank you so much for your kind words. And, as one NICU mom to another :hug

When my oldest, who is now 20, was in the NICU it was a very stark, sterile place -- I couldn't visit in street clothes, which made no sense to me since my PJs came out of the same load of laundry. It is so wonderful that this is no longer the case (except here on LI where they still stick to stark and sterile.

I just got an email from the woman who met me at the hospital. She wanted my address to send a thank you card. When I get it, I'll post it here for you all. She did say that they have already passed some out and that they are greatly appreciated by the families that are there currently. With 200, they can certainly start passing them out and still have more than enough for Santa to pass out on Christmas!

I asked her for an estimate for how many babies come through the NICU on a yearly basis and how long she thinks the 200 will last. I'll let you all know when I get an answer.

Kathryn: There is a special place for people like you (and my friend Eva -- check out call for prayers) in heaven.

My hub once (before we were married) gave me a sweatshirt that said "Angel", his daughter's said "Brat" OK, no imagination with the gifts there, but Kathy, the funny thing is that when I wear that sweatshirt, I think of you -- an angel who gave birth to an angel who helps to comfort angels.

Kathryn: There is a special place for people like you (and my friend Eva -- check out call for prayers) in heaven.

My hub once (before we were married) gave me a sweatshirt that said "Angel", his daughter's said "Brat" OK, no imagination with the gifts there, but Kathy, the funny thing is that when I wear that sweatshirt, I think of you -- an angel who gave birth to an angel who helps to comfort angels.

I'm here at my desk crying. That's so very nice of you to say. However, I honestly feel like it is all the people helping who are the angels. I'm just working off a debt I owe God. I'm acutely aware of the miracle performed in my life and I never want to appear ungreatful for it.

I'm also so greatful for everyone here who gives of their time - and their money - their skill and their yarn to help these babies.:hug

I'm starting on stuff for 2010, a brand new decade! There will be more hats and baby boots than blankets, I'm afraid. I can't stick with a project for very long. I don't have much patience at all! Do the children ever exceed the age of one? Just curious.

Hats and baby booties are wonderful!

The NICU takes babies up to 1 year old.. the hospital, however, takes children up to the age of 18.

Make anything you'd like for any age group and I'll see to it that it gets there. My mother knits and she goes with me when we drop off the NICU ghans - and her donation is always for the older kids.. hats and scarves. There is a need for every age group.

Archived