3rd Annual Afghans for NICU Babies for Christmas - THANK YOU NOTE POST 356

Wow, the fleece blankies you're making are so pretty!! And so soft, I'm sure!

I just have to wash the ones I and my daughter made, pack them up and send them (except I seem to keep making more - so may wait a while longer). I at least will try to take some pictures to post, been working a lot and planning my 30th high school reunion.

deb

Thanks Deb! Post pics for us to see!

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all,

I am almost done with my third blanket so I think it's time to request your mailing address.

If you PM me the info I will PM you when I have them shipped.

Thank you so much. It's been fun watching the blankets roll in for you.

Shelley

Two quick questions:

On the granny square and round ripple afghans, how many rounds were used?

What was the dimensions on the fleece afghans?

I want to be consistent with the others you have received.

Thanks

Two quick questions:

On the granny square and round ripple afghans, how many rounds were used?

What was the dimensions on the fleece afghans?

I want to be consistent with the others you have received.

Thanks

I'm doing my RR's about 30 - 32 inches. Sometimes it's a bit smaller, sometimes bigger. Depending on my mood and my yarn stash!

With the fleece ghans, I"ve bought a yard of 60 inch width fabric, and cut it in half, so I have a blanket 30x36 inches.

Really, any size that you make will work for a baby. Smaller ghans can be used for small babies, or to wrap an extremely small baby who won't be going home, as their parents hold them the last time. Large ghans can be used for the babies who are up to a year old.

Pretty much, whatever you are in the mood to make will be greatfully accepted!:hug

I am nursing a broken ankle and can't get to the tape measure. How many rows(rounds) does that translate into?

quote=badrhinogillett;1790731]I'm doing my RR's about 30 - 32 inches. Sometimes it's a bit smaller, sometimes bigger. Depending on my mood and my yarn stash!!:hug

Sorry to hear about your ankle.

For me it's about 25 rounds on a RR. I find that one row of DC is about 3/4 of an inch to an inch wide, which makes every round increase the diameter by 1 1/2 - 2 inches. For most people, the distance between your first and second knuckle on your index finger is aproximately an inch... you can use that to see how large your DC's are and then go from there.

Thanks again!

I would be interested in sending some. I am currently working on 3 small blankets and was looking for my Project Linus leaders info again, only to find out that she isnt doing it anymore and there are no other chapters close by.

Im a new crocheter so mine arent perfect but Im hoping to improve with all this practice. I watch youtube tutorials to learn new stitches.

Anyway, please contact me with your info and where I should send, etc....

Thank you

Im a new crocheter so mine arent perfect but Im hoping to improve with all this practice. I watch youtube tutorials to learn new stitches.

Anyway, please contact me with your info and where I should send, etc....

Thank you

Kristi - thank you so much! Did you know that Persian rugs are purposefully made with a flaw in them, as the people making them believe that there is nothing perfect on Earth but God? Flaws are what make handmade items personal and beautiful. Making blankets with love and selflessness to give them to someone else makes them some of the most beautiful things around. Thank you!

I'll send you a PM with my address.

I started another afghan yesterday and finished lastnite....preemie sized. So that will be another I have to send to you!

I have 2 for you completely finished! Still working on 2.

I would love to help out. I have some blankets here that are not large enough for children, (such as for Nonie's kids) but small enough to be a baby blankets or premie blankets. So please send me your addy and I'll get some out to you i the next few months.

THANKS, What size hook are you using? I hobbled to my stash and found the tape measurer, I'm right on point. I have 3RR and 2 preemies done already. :cheer

Hey, what else can I do for 5 hrs in a recliner? :crocheting

I will PM you for your addy when the cast comes off in 4weeks. I'd like to see how many I can get done while I'm convilesing.(sp):yarn

Sorry to hear about your ankle.

For me it's about 25 rounds on a RR. I find that one row of DC is about 3/4 of an inch to an inch wide, which makes every round increase the diameter by 1 1/2 - 2 inches. Thanks again!

Count me in! This cause is near and dear to my heart also.

I hate to sound soooo analytical....it's a curse, I know.....but could you please tell me the sizes you need?

I know you said you could use any size....but how small is the square for the preemie...and what is the largest needed for the 1-2 year olds?

I did see somewhere that approximately 25 rounds on a ripple would be nice so I'm looking forward to making one of those soon.

Thanks so much!

:manyheart

Count me in! This cause is near and dear to my heart also.

I hate to sound soooo analytical....it's a curse, I know.....but could you please tell me the sizes you need?

I know you said you could use any size....but how small is the square for the preemie...and what is the largest needed for the 1-2 year olds?

I did see somewhere that approximately 25 rounds on a ripple would be nice so I'm looking forward to making one of those soon.

Thanks so much!

:manyheart

Thank you Shelley!

I haven't really posted dimensions as, truly any pattern you use will work for a child there. That being said:

the preemie ghans are as small as 12 inches in width and go up from there. Some preemie ghans will be used on the small babies in the incubators, and larger ghans for a full term baby might be used to wrap a preemie who won't go home as their parents hold them the last time. Then, the parents are given the blanket so that they have something that was their child's.

I try to make my RR's about 32 or 34 inches at a minimum. I wouldn't go larger than 40 inches as the issolettes can be narrow.

I've been doing alot of fleece lately, and I buy 60 inch width fabric and get 2 blankets out of it.

If I were doing a blanket for the 1 year old, I would go.. 40 - 45 inches probably.

I make alot of RR's because I love the pattern and its something easy to do while watching tv... but any shape, any size.. truly anything you make will be exactly perfect for one of the children there.

Remember, there is NEVER an empty bed in the NICU. Literally, within minutes of a baby being discharged, nurses are preparing that bed for a child who is now going to be flown to the hospital. Sometimes the turnover happens in just a matter of an hour or two. There is always going to be a need for whatever you make.

Thank you to all of you for helping.:hug

Archived