3rd Annual Afghans for NICU Babies for Christmas - THANK YOU NOTE POST 356

This is the third year I'm asking for help from you generous people to help me bring afghans to Oakland Children's Hospital's NICU. You can see last year's post here.

Oakland Children's Hospital's NICU saved my son's life. He was born with a rare disorder and for 10 days while he struggled, the hospital gave my family back my son. I owe them an emotional debt that I will never be able to repay.

My son was in the hospital over Thanksgiving and we thought he would be there for Christmas. The only thing worse than watching your child drastically ill, would be to watch them die. However, somehow, the idea of having him there over Christmas added to the pain for me. Therefore, I want to try to let the parents of children there over Christmas know that people are thinking about them. When my son was in the hospital, it was knowing that people that didn't even know us were praying for us, or making cards etc, that helped to get me through.

The NICU holds 40 beds. In 2007, I was able to bring 44 ghans to the hospital with everyone's help. Last year, we brought 111. My goal this year is to bring just one more 112. That's not quiet 3 rotations of the nursery.

The first 40 ghans will be given to the babies by Santa himself on Christmas day. The rest will be used for new babies, for siblings in need of comfort, and to wrap babies that will never go home as their parents hold them for the last time.

If you are able to help me, any sized blanket is needed. The NICU services babies from extreme preemie to babies up to 1 year old. If you smoke or have pets, please be sure to wash the ghans before you send them as these babies are very sensitive. Any yarn, any size -- edgerydoo- knit -- anything handmade would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for considering helping me. I appreciate it more than you know. :hug

This year, we already have a ghan to get us started from Hockeymomcrochets! I will post a picture of it when I get home.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you! You can send them whenever you'd like. The last two years, I"ve taken them to the hospital the week after Thanksgiving. At this last drop off, the woman indicated they may want them a little bit earlier as Christmas is a big rush for them in order to organize the holiday for all the kids. So, figure any time between now and November 1.

As the mother of a NICU-graduate myself (he's now 25 with a baby of his own!), I would be honored to take part again. I will send whatever I can make - I'll let you know when I have something finished. Can you use more little hats again?

I would love to help, in fact I already have 2 blankets finished that I have been wanting to find a home for, and this is the perfect one.

PM me as to where to send the 2 I have, and I will work on more.

I have 2 at home I can send you right away with a promise of at least 2 more. I am the proud aunt of 2 graduates from NICU so this is very near and dear to my heart. please PM your address and I will get the 2 out this weekend.

I will try to help again this year. :manyheart As you know I have twins that almost went to the NICU. I was very lucky that they didn't. I spent 2 months in the hospital myself trying not to have them.

Archived