Our new dog, a Whippet

cindyy8s

Question

:dogWe adopted a Whippet recently, he has a broken leg and is about 10 pounds underweight, he had surgery to fix his leg on Friday, a plate and four screws:eek I wondered if anyone has every made sweaters for a Whippet before, there body shape is very different, and since he is skin and bones right now, he gets cold very easy. Can anybody help?

3 answers to this question

We also have a Whippet and while I have not made her sweaters, if I were going to I would just use a sweater pattern for a Greyhound and make it with a smaller hook. They are essentially the same dog just different sizes. If you google Greyhound sweater you will find many patterns. Good Luck!

well I found this one, but it's one you have to buy http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=21615635

you might be able to find similar draping ones on crochet pattern central

good luck! i love whippets, i wish I could have one, but we live in an appartment so, my chihuahua is the only doggy i can have.

There's a pattern on my blog that I have used to make sweaters for many different dog types- it is entirely adjustable and goes by chest measurements- so I know it could work if your little guy doesn't mind sitting for a few fittings.

A direct link to the pattern page:

http://critterscoop.com/blog/blog7.php/pet/petpat/

That's my rat terrier Pagan modeling a couple of the sweaters. She was the inspiration for coming up with an adjustable pattern because she has a large chest for such a small dog and was always in between store-bought coats. I have used this same pattern for dachshunds, chihuahuas, and even our 90lb ridgeback mix who will not be left out when all the little dogs have their sweaters on!!!

Archived