Boomerang Afghan

MaryPat

Well, I think I started this 2 years ago as a take-along on flights afghan. I kind of always wanted to make this because of its geometry. The original pattern came from Magic Crochet, April 1998 #113 and was made in thread rather than worsted yarn. It was intended I think as a smallish kitchen curtain.

My son-in-law inspired the name Boomerang. The pattern calls for motifs made of 3 different colors. I had the individual motifs all stacked before joining. He asked why I was making boomerangs. The name stuck.

One of the biggest challenges was figuring out how to join the motifs invisibly. A knitting teacher show me an invisible way. You place the two sides side by side and weave the needle inbetween the stitches. In most places you can't tell that a white side is joined to a dark side by having the dark yarn weave in and out of the white. It is visible with an occasional stitch peeking out.

BoomerangAfghan

The Magic Crochet pattern is called "High-Rise" and is constructed using a size 7 steel hook.

I believe a pattern commonly known as falling blocks may be similar to this as well.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fantastic job!!! What an accomplishment!! You took on a pattern many would only look at and pass by. Wonderful!!! Thanks for sharing.

Archived