e.ldelgado

please help

Question

So I have this pattern book called Best

of Terry Kimbrough Baby Afghans anyway the blanket I want to make for my soon to be here niece is rather small (for my taste) anyway the pattern goes like this...

Chain 125

row 1: DC in 8th row from hook (ch 2 skip next 2 chains DC in next chain) across.

So my question is this by how much would i have to increase to make this beautiful blanket bigger. If you have the book it blanket 24. please help:eek

4 answers to this question

Each pattern repeat is 3 stitches in this row (ch2, sk 2, dc), so I would think that you could add any multiple of 3 to the original 125 chains.

I don't have this book; unless the balance of the rows are open filet mesh like row 1, the other rows may change this equation.

Also, if there is a fancy border, you may have to take repeats of the border pattern into consideration as well.

:thinkJust work a chain a little longer than you want the blanket to be then work your pattern, using as many as you need to get the width you want, making sure to complete the instructions for the end of the row.

When you have finished, you can unpick the leftover chain.

This works best for patterns that set the number of stitches needed on the foundation row but needs a little thought if the following rows need an exact number of CH2 spaces, then you will need to be a bit more precise but even then it would not be impossible to work out.

PM me if you need more info.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

Terry Kimbrough always has such nice borders on her blankets; if you enlarge the main body of the blanket, just be sure you know the repeats you will need for the border to work out. (And in my opinion Leisure Arts publications make this all harder because they don't include any stitch diagrams, which would make it much easier to know the repeats.) Of course you can fudge a little on the border, but it would be really disappointing to finish the main part and discover the border has to be hugely modified. If this is one with a really ornate border, it might be easier to use slightly larger yarn and hook to enlarge it and still follow the pattern as written.