Shell halter top (another thread question)

sunnyvale_22

i am making the Shell Halter top from Mimi's crochet pattern. the pattern says this:Cannon cotton thread size 8, 4-5 balls (approximately 175m per ball), solid color (cannon MB089 used on model) or, size 10 cotton thread

my question is, is it saying i can substitute the cannon for size 10 thread or i have to use both. also what size hook is 2mm? :think:eek

I would read that as either, not both.

Size 8 sounds like perle cotton, which is sized differently than regular crochet cotton. Size 8 perle is smaller than size 10 crochet cotton, and perle is also more expensive (but probably comes in more colors; it's more of an embroidery thread)

2mm = US size 4 steel hook

You want to be real careful with gauge especially for a wearable item. If you don't get gauge the top will be too small or too big. Can you provide a link to the pattern if it is a freebie?

It says that you can use #10 instead of the 8. Also, in parenthesis it says the hook is a US size B. Does this help?

Also, like other people said, make sure that the gauge comes out right or it won't fit right. The description of the pattern doesn't mention if it gives what the gauge is or not. If you haven't already bought the pattern, I would right to the person selling it & make sure that the gauge is included in the pattern. Some patterns are written sloppy & don't even give the gauge.

Good luck!

You can use whatever you want to for yarn or thread but you must get the gauge required by the pattern. I would think a nice lace weight or fingering yarn would be nice.

Archived