Can anyone help? UPDATE

KellieD

This is a story of the evil stepmother. Lots of family dysfunction.

My father was diagnosed with Parkinsons many years ago and over time his wife has driven a huge wedge between my father and all of his children. I won't go into the details. She called one of my sisters this past Monday to let her know that our father was taken to the hospital unresponsive and didn't have long to live. When my sister got there, she was horrified to see the condition he was in. Oozing bedsores, extreme dehydration and skeletal. It is pretty clear that she,the evil stepmother, as his caregiver wasn't doing the job. The hospital got him stabilized enough to transfer him to a long term care facility where he has made tremendous progress in a week. He still looks like a concentration camp survivor but he is eating and can finally hold his head up for short periods of time. He'll be in this facility for a long time and I'd like to put together a comfortghan for him to bring some brightness to his days and to help keep him warm.

I think 8" squares in any color would be wonderful. Can anyone help me?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, ABSOLUTELY.

Your story is so similar to my own! My father did not win his battle with cancer, however we were able to have hospice come into his home & set up a hospital bed and my aunt, cousins & I took over round the clock care. The evil stepmother (also drove a wedge!) was over-dosing him on the morphine (giving it to him in chocolate milk!!) causing extreme delusions. We were able to safely bring him out of those and he knew and understood that we were all there taking care of him in his last days.

Please PM me with the info on where to send squares.

My heart is with you...:hug

I would love to help. Your story makes me sick to my stomach. PM me your address, and I will get a couple of squares out by the end of the week.

Debbie

PM me with the address, I have some bright yarns and would love to help him.

I hope the evil stepthing gets what's coming to her. You kids should consult a lawyer specializing in elder abuse law.

We will be filing criminal neglect charges. When the ambulance picked him up, they called the cops who called Adult Protective Services. My brother (an out of state attorney) is hiring an attorney and speaking with the police.

Remember the pictures of the concentration camp victims? That is what the poor man looks like.

Dear kellieD please Pmm me your address I'd love to send you a couple of squares too.

Poor thing I hope the evil step mother gets what she deserves for the abuse.

hugs

Lillibet

I would love to help also. Your story rings a bell with me also...thankfully you all were able to find out what had happened to your father before it was too late!

Please PM me with your addy and I will have 3 squares out to you on Friday. :manyheart

I just finished 2 squares for your dads afghan, will mail them tomorrow/Friday! :hug

Thank you all so very much. I have four squares finished and edged so when the squares you are making start arriving, I can get them all edged and joined quickly!

Anyone have a favorite 8" square pattern they'd like to share? I only have a couple that I have been using and I'm looking for diversity.

My dad is very, very slowly regaining strength and mobility. The doctor said it was the worst case of elder abuse that she has ever seen.

Oh.. sweetie............ this just breaks my heart.

I'm happy to hear he is doing better though. I'll be praying for continued healing.

I have only one square done for you right now.... its packaged up and ready for tomorrows mail. I just wanted to get at least one out ASAP. If you still need more as this moves on.. I can get another one or two out to you.

huge hugs to you hon!

:heart

:mug

I received 2 squares today from Kel (what a beautiful package!) and 2 squares from Eneida (what wonderful sentiments!). The squares are way pretty and will be a very nice addition to this comfortghan. I'm edging and joining in a soft navy which should make the colors just pop!

I'll post pictures so everyone can see how nice these squares are.

:crocheting Off to make more!

Glad to hear your dad is doing better. Let me know if you still need anymore squares, I think I can work up a couple more if need be. Can't wait to see pics! :hook

Oh, my gosh! My mailbox had three packages in it today!

Teakaycee, Deedes and Grannytyme Eva, your squares are beautiful. I can't thank you enough. I'll be able to start putting it together soon.

Dad was taken back to the hospital yesterday with a raging infection and fever which did respond to medication. Interestingly enough, he put on 25 pounds in two weeks at the skilled nursing facility. Funny what can happen when you feed someone.

Dad was taken back to the hospital yesterday with a raging infection and fever which did respond to medication. Interestingly enough, he put on 25 pounds in two weeks at the skilled nursing facility. Funny what can happen when you feed someone.[/quote

Kellie: I can't seem to get your dad's story out of my mind!! so was happy to read this post and even though he is still a bit sick and delicate, it seems that he is recuperating fast with all that TLC.. Better news yet is that he has gained some weight already:cheer I am happy for him and send hugs and prayers for continuous recovery!! :hug

Kellie,

I understand your feelings about the stepmother BUT my own mother died of Parkinsons in 2003 after a 10 year siege. PLEASE do not be quick to judge based on your dads appearance. My mother, who had been a very tall and robust woman, was 67 lbs and also had terrible bedsores at the time she died. She had been unresponsive for months, her joints were locked in place , her jaws were frozen shut, she skin was paper thin and tore at the slightest touch. That is the nature of this evil disease. When the funeral home received her body, the mortician called me and asked if I wanted him to break her arms and legs to straighten them out. He also used the the same phrase you did-"she looked like a concentration camp victim".

My mother had been in the best skilled nursing facility in the large city we live in. She had round the clock care, was turned every hour, was put on a special "airbed" to lessen the pressure points, and had constant care.

ITS THE DISEASE!!! IT IS EVIL!!!

Archived