Say you want to crochet a picture

jimbo

Question

how would you do it?? Lets say you painted a picture of a still life with a bowl of fruit, and you wanted to do the picture as an enlarged wall hanging in crochet.

How would you go about doing that???

Or is that something that can be done???

Or am I showing my cro-ignance??

Cro-ignant

Jimbo

10 answers to this question

If I were you I'd contact Todd at Crochet by Numbers website and send him the photo you want to make and he will make you a free patterns and the tutorial is there on his site..

so maybe you can make him one of your Jimbo hooks and he can make you the patterns he does for custom orders for free.. he is a very nice guy so give him a holler...

hugs

Lillibet

or you could just ask me to do it for you Jimbo. Make the graph - not the wallhanging that is. lolol

How come no one ever thinks of me for this stuff? :(

Because I'm a dummy.

Sorry, Rose!!

So..... if you make the graph, can the patten be easily made? (still showing my dummy side but hay.... what's to loose?)

If you do a search on 'graphghan' in the show and tell area here, you will find many stunning examples.

In a nutshell, using either single crochet or tunisian stitch (these are about as wide as they are high, so work well to keep the graph in proportion) you change colors as you go, following the color changes on the graph.

Often you end up with bobbins or skeins of unused colors hanging off your work as you drop one color and pick up the next. Usually the back side of the piece has threads spanning across a few stitches, so the piece is usually best viewed on 1 side.

It is not 'hard', but it is time consuming because there are a lot of pesky ends to weave in.

I can make the graph and write the pattern for it. I just need to know how big you want it to be sweetie.

It's hard for me. All those scs are hard on my hands. There are some stunning examples of graphghans here at the ville.

You can also do 'crochet paintings' by using freeform style crocheting... One of my favorite examples of this is "Coral Isle" by Renate Kirkpatrick...here it is shown on the cover of one of her books -- The entire picture - water, sky, reef, mountains - *everything*, is all entirely done in crochet... If I recall, the actual mural measures 1 meter square...

if you are on Ravelry, she is a member there & has the complete mural in her projects where you can an enlarged photo which shows the detailing better than you can see in this pic of the book cover. (And see all of her other fantastic work too! She is incredible)

(BTW, fantastic book too - I just got it recently...)

61B6aO%2B2XEL._SS500_.jpg

I've been looking up this type of info for the last couple weeks. I'd love to make a graphghan of my father's race car for Christmas. Since I've never made one before I am trying to figure out if I want to do sc or try to learn the Tunisian stitch. Then I have to figure out the graph....I looked at PC Stitch and may purchase it but it's quite a bit of money ($79.95) if I find I can't do it. I know how to change colors but the idea of having 10 or 20 (or more, yikes!) different bobbins going at once is baffling to me. I may just have to find a simple pattern and try it out first to see if I actually get the concept of how to do it. I may join the CAL for making graphghans when I finish a couple of my other WIPs. Best of luck to you!!

Holey Cow!!! That's just amazing!!

I started this just out of curiosity because i've seen so little pictorial work in crochet, and wondered if team logos and such were about all that could be done. How wrong was that!!??

Thanks you guys for your input!!

Archived