SHOL's Comfortaghan

Mandii

Just a quick update to let you guys know. I have received a total of 7 squares now from Nanmeyers(2), luv2crochet(3), and ctawq(2). Thank you guys:hug:manyheart for doing this. Mom has also received letters so far from Miss Crochet, and luv2crochet and it has just made her days. She gets them out and reads them again when she gets to feeling down. You guys just don't even know what it means to me to see a smile on her face put there by people she has never met. I wish I could get all of you in the same room so I could just :hugall of you at once. :ghug to this whole group. Thank you so much for your caring and consideration and the way you are helping my mom.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If there is anybody else who is going to help with my mom's comfortghan I would like to know. I am planning on trying to get this done for mother's day. Please let me know if you are going to help so that I know how much I have to do myself to get it done. Thank you to all those who have sent squares already. And thank you to those who are still working at it. :manyheart

So far only 3 more people have promised squares that haven't sent them yet and I received 2 more today. I actually hadn't thought about the number of squares I would need since it was Mandii who came up with the idea of a comfortghan for my mom. At the time she came up with the idea I quickly told her 8" squares without giving it any thought as to how many I would need to get the ghan done. :P Guess I should have said 12" squares. I am figuring I need between 60 and 70 total to make it a decent size ghan to cover her. Figuring about 48 to 56 inches wide by about 60 inches long. I hope to have it done by Mothers Day but I am thinking now that is an unrealistic goal. Anyway I will figure something out. Thanks for the reality check. I guess I just didn't put enough thought into it when Mandii asked. :oops

Donna, if you need some more squares I could do another one. I don't have anymore of the light blue, but I could do the same pattern in cream, medium blue and dark blue - with or without the pink flower.

:mug:cat:yarn

If you would like that would be greatly appreciated as I am rather short on squares. Those colors would be fine With or without the flower is up to you.

Donna, if you need some more squares I could do another one. I don't have anymore of the light blue, but I could do the same pattern in cream, medium blue and dark blue - with or without the pink flower.

:mug:cat:yarn

Look, you still have me making squares too. They're the next thing on my list after this ****ed scarf I have to have finished by the middle of next week.

:hiI'll be making some squares this weekend. :yes I'll let you know how many I get done and will send them out shortly thereafter. :hug:hug:hug

You guys said blues & rose, right? Do you want white or aran? :think

:hiI'll be making some squares this weekend. :yes I'll let you know how many I get done and will send them out shortly thereafter. :hug:hug:hug

You guys said blues & rose, right? Do you want white or aran? :think

The first post here says blues, rose and mauve...

Thanks for joining in...and don't overdo!:hug I had to be happy with making 2 - I have too many other things I already can't get to:P

My mothers absolute favorite colors are country blues, light and dark, Rose or mauve colors come in a close second. I have already had someone send some white, but if you use white please make it a minor complementary color not the main. I'm not sure how aran or cream colors would work now that someone has already sent white, but since I really need the squares I am not going to be picky. I will just have to find a way to make it work. Someone already gave me an idea for tie in so I am going to go with that and hopefully this will work well Thanks for all your help everybody. Sorry I didn't think about this a little bit more.

:hugI think I am okay as far as bordering them goes. My mom keeps me in a pretty good stash. Just not sure how I am going to border them yet. I could really use some suggestions since I have NEVER done an afghan where each square and stitch count is different. My only other issue that I am going to have is that the yarn I am going to use is yarn my mom bought for me to one day make an afghan out of for her, and it is at her house. So now I have to figure out how to get some of it out of her house without her knowing so I can border and put together this ghan without her knowing about it also. :lol Thank you very much for the offer though :manyheart

Donna, do you need any yarn to border/join them? I have a sizeable stash:blush

Donna - mine have 35 sts on each side. I would count and mark down what the other squares are and see what the average is then work a row of sc around the smaller ones adding evenly to make the average. Then work a row of sc around the larger ones decreasing evenly to get the average. Or to back up a bit when you mark down the stitch counts also note the dimensions. If the larger squares are the same or close to the same stitch count, work the smaller squares up to the larger count. Then work your border rows even around all of them.

Not sure of how to help with the yarn though... could your FIL help distract her? Take her - dare I say - shopping? :rofl:rofl I know I'm evil :D

Donna - mine have 35 sts on each side. I would count and mark down what the other squares are and see what the average is then work a row of sc around the smaller ones adding evenly to make the average. Then work a row of sc around the larger ones decreasing evenly to get the average. Or to back up a bit when you mark down the stitch counts also note the dimensions. If the larger squares are the same or close to the same stitch count, work the smaller squares up to the larger count. Then work your border rows even around all of them.

Not sure of how to help with the yarn though... could your FIL help distract her? Take her - dare I say - shopping? :rofl:rofl I know I'm evil :D

This is my mom not my MIL. And neither my father or my FIL are alive so they would not be any help. Part of the reason there are so many issues with my mom is that she is alone in a large house for the first time in 45 years. I think I am just going to have to wait until she goes out shopping and then use my key to get in and "steal" the yarn and hope she doesn't notice it is missing. SHOL stands for Silver Haired Old Lady as she came to be referred to in the post Somebody stop her. But thank you for the idea of averages. Hadn't even thought about doing it that way

I knew that!! I'm a doofus :P I love the other thread "Somebody stop her" thats why I said I was evil about suggesting shopping. ;) Does she have any groups that she belongs to? Maybe there is a luncheon or program coming up that she will be out for?

Don't I wish. Her group, hobby, luncheoun and programs are all centered around her shopping. :rofl But right now she has got a bee in her bonnet about getting her plants planted and so she isn't going anywhere. She usually goes and gets her hair done every week and her nails done at the same time but she says she isn't doing that until the gardens are planted. :sigh

I knew that!! I'm a doofus :P I love the other thread "Somebody stop her" thats why I said I was evil about suggesting shopping. ;) Does she have any groups that she belongs to? Maybe there is a luncheon or program coming up that she will be out for?

Pooh! I'm out of ideas, short of stealing some of her plants so she has to get some more :lol not!! Good Luck. Oh! What about telling her you have some ideas for her afghan and want some of the yarn to make up some swatches to see if the pattern will work? Then if she asks about the pattern say you have multiple ideas that you haven't settled on one yet. Would that work?

Donna, after bordering the squares and laying them out the way you want them, for the charity squares I've been given, I attach them at the corners (pin or tie yarn) then you know how to fudge joining them. I whipstitch them together.

Archived