Wool Eater Afghan CAL

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I did print this pattern back when it was available - I just had a quick question before I begin this.... I had also printed the "American/UK table" that was along with it - the pattern itself though it written in the UK/Australian version correct? So I would substitute the Australian abbreviations with the American ones? Just want to make sure I understand what I'm doing before beginning....

Yes, it does use the UK terms -- just use a standard treble stitch when the pattern calls for a double treble :)

The wooleater pattern has been reborn and is much easier to read and follow.

Sarah London has moved her blog and the pattern is now available at:

Take a look!

Thanks for the follow up, Gene!

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, and in fact found this thread by accident whilst looking for the Wooleater Blanket pattern which I'd previously saved and then couldn't find again!.

I've enjoyed looking at all the blankets in progress here and some of the colourways are absolutely lovely, giving me hints of what looks good together.

Before I start shopping for yarn and make a start on this blanket, has the problem of it going out of shape been solved please?

For other crocheters in the UK - can anybody point me in the direction of a really good sale? I think this is going to take so much yarn that it'll cost a fortune at standard prices!

Thanks,

Sandystitcher

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, and in fact found this thread by accident whilst looking for the Wooleater Blanket pattern which I'd previously saved and then couldn't find again!.

I've enjoyed looking at all the blankets in progress here and some of the colourways are absolutely lovely, giving me hints of what looks good together.

Before I start shopping for yarn and make a start on this blanket, has the problem of it going out of shape been solved please?

For other crocheters in the UK - can anybody point me in the direction of a really good sale? I think this is going to take so much yarn that it'll cost a fortune at standard prices!

Thanks,

Sandystitcher

Hi, this is a fantastic pattern and I hope you enjoy making it as much as I did!

The pattern has been redone a bit since some of those original posts.

http://sarahlondon.wordpress.com/2009/08/25/wool-eater-instructions/

It has a great picture tutorial for every step and is very easy to follow. I am not sure why some people had trouble with this pattern and some did not. I made 2 of these and didn't have that slanting that many did. However, with the step by step pictures, it should be much easier to follow!

look forward to seeing the colors you choose. all of these blankets have been beautiful!

I'm using worsted cotton in Christmas colors for mine. I have several cones of white, green and red cotton to use up. Less yarn in the cupboard. :clap

I liked the way the back of Gene's looked, so I'm not joining through the front post like the pattern calls for. I'm working the next row in the standard crochet way-through the top loops of the previous row. The result is an afghan that is reversible. I'm terrible with posting pictures, but will try to get at least a progress shot up soon.

Glad to see this CAL and all the lovely afghans. Everyone in the family likes the Catherine wheel pattern. The girls think it's pretty, and DH and DS like the fact that it has no holes. They hate lacey afghans-say they are too drafty. :lol

Michelle in Southern AZ

Thanks for the link to the updated pattern - it's much clearer than the one I remember.

Happened across some bargain King Cole Premier DK yesterday at 99p (100gr) together with some variegated at £1.99 so I'm set to go when I find some decent hooks.

Tried using some old Aeros I have and the tips seem so blunt some stitches are a chore so I'm thinking I'll try the Clover Soft Touch as I believe the tips are more pointy?

I've chosen a dark turquoise, dark rose, white, plus 2 variegateds - [pink/white and turquoise/white].

• 4 weeks later...

I got a bit side-tracked and haven't started this yet. I've just done a blanket for one friend and I have a sleeveless cardi to do for another. I would like to do that with squares sewn together but can't make up my mind on what pattern to use. Then I have a hat and a tea cosy to get done, and I might then be able to get going on the Wool Eater for myself:)

Oh my goodness, gracious golly. That is an incredibly gorgeous afghan. :dreaming

:faint

:drool

Ok, my bad here... I am so totally jealous of her talent and her eye for colour :spin

Thanks for that link Gene. :faint

Oh my goodness, gracious golly. That is an incredibly gorgeous afghan. :dreaming

:faint

:drool

Ok, my bad here... I am so totally jealous of her talent and her eye for colour :spin

Thanks for that link Gene. :faint

I'm with you Darksi- She is so incredibly talented and her eye for color is simply amazing. I absolutely love, love, love her work!

TFS Gene

• 2 years later...
old thread..but not an "old" pattern. Every time someone makes one it's new again!

Beautiful! I love this pattern. I may have to make one as soon as I get done with a sweater that I am making for myself.

Archived