Thinking about doing this

Daugherty4inNC

I live in an area that grows tons of cotton. I can get lots of cotton from gleaning the fields, and my mother has my grandmothers spinning wheel that is in mint condition. Where would I do to find information on spinning fiber into yarn using an over 100 year old spinning wheel? Still has the fiber brush and everything is with it. Any suggestions?

How wonderful to be able to spin on an older wheel. It may still need to have dust brushed off and re-oiled. I'd love to see a picture of it!

The technique of using an older wheel is the same as using a newer wheel. There are just 3 steps in spinining fiber into yarn ... drafting your fiber (attenuating it to the thickness of the yarn you want to make), putting twist into it and wrapping it on a bobbin.

The choice of fiber and it's preparation varies though. Cotton has a very short staple and needs a lot of twist to hold it together. Wool has a longer staple and is usually easier for a beginning spinner.

There are some useful spinning links on my webpage you might find helpful

I live in an area that grows tons of cotton. I can get lots of cotton from gleaning the fields, and my mother has my grandmothers spinning wheel that is in mint condition. Where would I do to find information on spinning fiber into yarn using an over 100 year old spinning wheel? Still has the fiber brush and everything is with it. Any suggestions?

I admit I'm green with envy! Please do post a photo of the wheel :)

I reccomend taking a class and learning how to clean, card and spin your yarn. It takes time and a bit of practice to get your yarns consistant but so worth it. I would love to own my own wheel somday. What a great gift you have to have your grandmothers wheel. Please do post a picture for us.

• 4 weeks later...

Oooh you are so lucky to have a old spinning wheel with so much sentimental value!!!

I hope you post a picture of it. I am looking for a spinning wheel too, although I wonder if I would have enough attention span to stick to it.

I came across one at a garage sale but the lady wanted 350.00 for it and would only come down to 325.00. Too much money for me to buy it. :( Oh well. Teapot.

Archived