babies in Wales...and hedgehogs!

mumbles17

ok...the one small thing has really inspired me..............just thought some of you may like to do this too......

there is a hospital in Wales-

Singleton Hospital

Neonatal unit

Sketty,

Swansea

sa2 8qa

( actually the hospital where my daughter was born- nearly 15 years ago!!!!) and their neonatal unit is in need of ventilator bonnets and booties...I am going to try and put together a box for them - Im thinking some of you may have welsh connections......or just have a soft spot for preemie babies and might like to join in...........

If you'd like to make either the ventilator bonnet or booties I would be happy to put them in the box and ship them ( save you the shipping to the uk)

just PM me

http://www.rayofhope.co.uk/ ( ventilator bonnet pattern can be found here-scroll down to the bottom - crochet patterns)

AND..........some of you know how crazy I am for hegehogs ( re- horton the hairy!!) well I couldn't stand to think of the sick and injured british hedgehogs being cold...........so I'll be sending 12x12 hedgehog blankies and 12 bx 8.5 snuggle sacks ( little sleeping bags )to

Ray Jackson

Lower Moss Wildelife Hospital

School Lane

Ollerton

Knutsford

Cheshire

Your stash soooooooooooooooooooooooo wants to become a hedgie blankie!

thanks

Fiona

Fiona, I LOVE hedgehogs. I certainly could whip up some nice snuggly hedgehog blankies...we can't have chilly hedgehogs. The little stuffed one on top of my monitor at work says they like it warm.

Kathy

Speaking of hedgehogs! Did you watch the Tony Danza show today by chance? Tony had a little girl on the show who loves hedgehogs. She baked a hedgehog cake and after she did, Tony presented her with her very own baby hedgehog! Not a toy but a real life baby hedgehog. It was soooooo cute! Here's the recipe for the Hedgehog Cake Landre Griffin won the Pillsbury BakeOff Kid Winner.

You know I'm in, girl! Especially with all that's happened in the UK the past week I want to send some things to let people know that I care!

I soooo have left over stash from making blankets for kids at hospital that needs to be hedgie snuggles LOL.

I've never made a ventilator bonnet but I am eager to learn, thank you for linking the pattern so I don't have to search for it! Will try to make my first one this afternoon.

:hug You rock, Fiona!

xoxo

Ro

The way to find the crochet ventilator cap is click on the link, then pattern collections, then way way down at the bottom of the page is the crochet pattern. Took me a minute to find it too.

Kathy

I would like to contribute! It seems that we could crank out quite a few preemie caps and booties, they are sooo tiny. I already have a couple of caps for preemies on the way "home" (no ventilator holders). See picture. http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/355508/DSCN5218.JPGand do you have a crochet pattern for those tiny feet? Perhaps a dolls pattern for crocheted booties would do. If anyone wants a copy of the cap in the picture (its so fast and the tassle at the top gets crocheted on the last round, and then gathered at the top), I will be glad to email it to you.

Way to go Fiona! you have a kind heart.

Fondly,

Suzie

This sounds great. I will see what I can do after my daughters wedding. Bev's Country Cottage has a great preemie pattern. Here is the link:http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/bevsbooties2.html do you have a pic for the hedgehog blankets & bags. it helps to get a perspective for the pattern.

Suzie the hats are adorable!

I got ribbon over the weekend to finish my vent bonnets and I also joined the squares on the little blanket and started the edging...photos of progress so far are here:

I didn't get any crocheting done over the weekend but I look forward to diving back in today!

hugs!

Ro

hedgie blankies - just a simple 12 x 12 square ( you can use any type of stitch)

the snuggly sacks- think of them like a miniture sleeping bag - or pocket...just someplace for the to snuggle up ( cos they are sick/injured)......

I did a quick internet search and they are mostly sew ( but crochet will work beautifully) some just a sack...and some more like a hat style - Hedgehuts!LOL( wider opening for a larger hedgie..here's a link;

http://www.fairfinders.com/hedgiebags/

http://exclusivelyhedgehogs.com/hedgehog_care_&_toys.htm

thanks for helping

Fiona

Fiona, thanks for the links. I did a little research just to make sure they couldn't hurt themselves by getting caught in the yarn. But since you can use a towel in thier habitat, we don't have to be concerned about the crocheted ones. Now, as far as the sleeper bag goes, I was wondering what would be the best thing to use to shape & keep the opening open. I was thinking maybe the macrame rings you can buy at Walmart, but I wasn't sure about the quality of the metal. Does anyone have a suggestion maybe in a plastic? What do you think?!

shari- you could use those- but also I have seen just a simple sewn 'pocket' that is just flat ( ie- no 'opening' support)

they can get in and out ok ( you'd be amazed!!)

Looking forward to seeing your designs!

Fiona:hook

Oh hedgies =) I love 'em! I had one up till we left the states, couldn't bring him with me though so I had to rehome him. I'd love to participate in this! Being in Germany, I can just send mine straight to the hedgies, it's not that much more expensive than sending it to you and then you resending.

sem464- hedgehogs are burrowers, so if there is an opening they'll find it *g* and if nothing else, they'll hide underneath it =) They're just looking for warmth and darkness. They go into a semi-hibernation when it gets cold... they eat and move around, but only as much as they absolutely have to. Otherwise they sleep a lot. I'm guessing sick and/or injured ones would do the same.

Ohh Marvie- be sure and email/post pics when you;re done - cos Im not gonna get to see them in person!-

If you do a search there's all sorts of hedge 'hut's little hats...like beanies- soooo cute!!! cant wait to see what you come up with!!:cheer

Fiona

Hey Fiona I finished up my three hats and the preemie afghan for Ray of Hope (though, would you rather I send it to you to send to Wales? Doesn't matter to me really!) and I am working on a little 'memorial set' miniature blanket and hat for a family who didn't have a good outcome...

I found two little blankets I'd started with my crochenit hooks and not finished, they'd make perfect hedgie pouches! I just have to sew them up. I forget, was I supposed to send those directly to the UK or can I mail them to you with the hats???

Let me know, I'm hoping to have them in the mail to you tomorrow. Hoping LOL

xoxo

Ro

p.s. pictures of finished hats and blankie here

Hi Ro- you can mail the hedgie stuff to me along with the blankies...( unless you want to mail them- whatever is easiest for you!!LOL)- I dont mind at all!!

I have been a litle slow only one more hat to add this past week - but its one more!!

I know it wont take too long to get a box full together....

will keep you updated

Fiona:hook

I haven't started yet any caps yet. So bad of me.....

I need a little crochet break this week -- which works perfect, cuz this week is Band Camp for my Leah. I'll be at the high school Weds- Sat evenings. UGH! Not looking forward to it (on THIS side of it), it makes for LONG days. But I know once I'm there, it's GREAT to be there!!

Okay I just made a flap (vent cap) during my lunch hour -- only took 20 minutes, but I'm so busy here I had to get right back to work. :(

I can't believe how TINY it is -- so sad. I'm praying for each little one as I crochet for them.

I don't know how to post pics here yet, so I've been posting them on my blog -- I'll have to spend more time figuring some of this computer stuff out, cuz it just doesn't come quickly to me....LOL

I'll let you know when I have some to show!! :)

I have a TON of baby yarn, so hopefully I can whip some of these out and use most of it up. :)

I found a pattern for some booties too. I might give them a whirl as well...........

Archived