FINALLY! Super Mario Bros. obsession

Gege

I haven't posted in a while due to this humongous project. But, I have finally finished crocheting each and every panel of my Mario Blanket. They are all crocheted together. All that is left is crocheting a border around it. However, I have been working my buns off on this thing and I don't know when I'll finish the border. I'm so freaking excited to have it "done" that I'm going to be unveiling it.........NOW!

Here it is, in all of its technicolor glory:

3393263514_9138307762.jpg

I have slaved over this thing for such a long time, but I'm soo proud of it! The entire story (and more pictures than could be pasted here) is on my blog here, here, and here.

It's so huge, I had to lay it out in my foyer and go upstairs to get a photo. Here's a pic of my birthday boy stretched out on it for a size perspective. My honey is 6'2".

3393263578_1820513ca3.jpg

Anway, I'm soooo proud of myself! I was just a little late for my honey's b-day, but he still loves it. :)

Thanks!

ETA: This is from response #49:

Thank you guys soooo much for the amazing positive feedback on my work!! I think I'll indeed submit it to Nintendo- my hubby thinks it's a good idea, too. :)

To answer a few questions:

There is no pattern that I followed. I searched the internet for screen shots of SMB and then used them for the map I had in my head. There is no "master graph" for any of the panels, much less for the entire project. I have absolutely no intention of creating a graph of my entire work; however, there may be a time when I decide to make a graph of a panel or two.....dunno when/if that will happen, though..... I seriously need a break from this. :)

The back is not even close to being finished.... smiley.gif I'm definitely NOT weaving in all the ends....I'm going to tie them into square knots and trim them and then sew a king sized sheet (if it's large enough...) as a backing. My hubby has offered to help me with all the tying....he knows how lucky he is!!!! Especially after reading some of your hilarious responses!! Men seem to really appreciate this work. Wow- a crochet blanket a man actually wants made for him! I think that's one of the things I'm most proud of- to show so many people that crochet isn't some granny's way of passing time for just making doilies. It can be, and is indeed, ART (including those awesome doilies!).

As for the yarn I used- it's mainly RHSS....some Vanna's Choice and the skin is a peach Caron Simply Soft....but mainly RHSS. They had the best colors!!! And, considering the amount of yarn that went into this baby, it was the most economically prudent yarn to use. smiley.gif

I am so amazed at the response this has gotten- it was just an obsession of mine...I seriously felt like Isaac from "Heroes" (or any other "future painters") when he got an artistic impulse....my eyes glazed over and I worked and worked on it until it was done. There was no "patience" involved- just a lot of impatience until I finally finished it. :)

Thank you all again!!!!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is fabulous! I can't even imagine the amount of work it must have taken to come up with the design for each panel, let alone making them all.

I'm sure people are going to ask you for a pattern. Since so much work was required, you probably don't want to share it all for free. I'm going to remind all our members that Gege to distribute this pattern (whether for sale or for free), she'd need to make licensing arrangements with Nintendo (or get other permission from them).

You know, I would suggest you contact Nintendo and send them pictures of this afghan. Who knows? They might want to use it for some sort of publicity purposes!

wow, wow, wow....you are a genius!! That is the most fantastic, awesome, fabulous etc , etc...piece of crochet I have ever seen....I cant imagine the work , time and patience that went into it...you did a great , great job!!! Im lovin it !

Gege that is totally AMAZING - well worth all the effort you put into and yes you should be PROUD of yourself - well done! It is truely a work of art

Archived