Chain Link 2009: Crochetville Trip to Niagara Falls and Buffalo Yarn Shop Crawl

Amy

If you are going to Chain Link 2009 in August, I'd love for you to join me for a trip to Niagara Falls followed by a yarn shop crawl through stores in Buffalo and the surrounding area.

Post here if you're interested in joining us. You may also want to PM me your cell phone number so I'll have an easy way to contact you once we're all in Buffalo. I'll PM you back with my cell phone number.

Here are the tentative plans. If anything changes, I'll edit this post with that information.

Trip to Niagara Falls (you WILL need a valid passport)

Friday, August 7

8:00 AM: Depart the hotel

9:00 AM: Arrive at Niagara Falls

1:00 PM: Depart Niagara Falls; return to hotel to pick up anyone who wants to join us for the yarn shop crawl

Things to Do at Niagara Falls

Visit the Niagara Parks website

Maid of the Mist: Board the diesel-engined boat at the Canadian dock for a voyage past the base of the American Falls and into the basin of the Canadian Horseshoe Falls. Two 600-passenger boats depart every 15 minutes. Approximately a 30-minute boat ride. You will receive a recyclable souvenir raincoat free with admission to keep your clothing dry from the mist and spray of the falls. Cost: $14.50 ages 13 and up; $8.90 ages 6-12; Canadian dollars, tax not included.

Journey Behind the Falls: Take a 30-45 minute trip to experience up close one-fifth of the world's fresh water crashing down 13 stories to the basin below. You'll descend 150 feet via elevator through bedrock to tunnels that lead to the Cataract Portal, the Great Falls Portal, and then to the Upper and Lower Observation Decks at the foot of the Falls. Cost: $12.50 ages 13 and up; $7.50 ages 6 to 12; Canadian dollars, tax not included.

White Water Walk: Walk across a boardwalk at the very edge of this wild stretch of whitewater! Click here for a virtual tour. Ride an elevator down 70 meters, walk through a 73 meter tunnel, then out to a boardwalk that spans 305 meters alongside the rapids. Stairs lead to two observation areas. The Whirlpool Aero Car gives visitors an opportunity to look directly into the eye of a giant whirlpool. Cost: $8.75 ages 13 and up; $5.15 ages 6-12; Canadian dollars, tax not included.

Niagara's Fury: Watch a video for an inside peek at the Fury. A 4-D thrill ride with bubbling water and spray and snow falling all around. View an 8-minute animated pre-show followed by a 6-minute, multi-sensory extravaganza as you witness the creation of the falls in a 360 degree theatre. Cost: $15 ages 13 and up; $9 ages 6-12; Canadian dollars, tax not included.

These are just my top four picks of things to do. If you visit the website, you'll see there are many other things you can do as well. Everyone will be free to pick and choose which options they want to experience.

If you want to experience all four of these attractions, there is a special ticket called the Niagara Parks Adventure Pass. It includes a ticket to all four attractions plus a voucher for lunch at Elements On the Falls. Cost for an adult ticket, $66.98, Canadian dollars, 15% GST and PST tax not included. (Individual ticket prices for four events add up to $50.75, leaving $16.23 toward price of lunch.)

There are many restaurants at the Niagara Falls park. Here is the website for Elements on the Falls and a link to their lunch menu. Lunch entrees are $16.95.

Currency Conversion Rate as of 3/27/09: $1.00 Canadian dollar is worth $0.81 US dollars. Multiply above prices by .81 to find the US dollar equivalent of ticket prices. Use this currency converter to find accurate exchange rates at any time.

Yarn Shop Crawl

Saturday, August 8

1:30 PM: Depart the hotel for various stores

5:00 PM: Return to hotel

I will provide a list of the various yarn stores we'll visit later. I'm also going to check with each store to see if they can offer us a special discount or anything when we visit.

Elmwood Yarn Shop in Buffalo (open 10-5 Thursdays; want us to come by) (5.44 miles from hotel)

Have Ewe Any Wool? in Snyder (8.75 miles from hotel)

The Woolly Lamb in East Aurora, NY, about 25 minutes southeast of Buffalo, no email on website (20.91 miles from hotel)

• 2 weeks later...
Amy what is Chain Link? I have always wanted to go to Niagra Falls.

Chain Link is the annual conference for the Crochet Guild of America. You can read more about it here.

• 2 months later...

Iam planning on coming to the chian link in Aug and have a few questions.

I live in the UK and was wondering if I could join the CGOA, can I join once at the conference or do I have to join before to get the discounts.

I have not booked anything yet as waiting for my BF's passport to arrive 1st.

Would anyone like to reccomend a nice hotel the one that is recomended on the chain link website is now fully booked.

We plan to stay for a week and would like to make the most of our visit, apart from Nigaera falls is there anywhere esle that would be worth visiting.

How far it it to nigaera falls and is it possible to get a bus there cheaply ot would it be better if we hired a car?

Thanks

Archived