Comfortghan for my Stepdad - Blanket finished and pictures posted!

Kaylana

My stepdad is going through a bit of a medical ordeal right now. He started having chest pains on Wednesday and was taken to the hospital. Since then they have fluctuated back and forth between saying that he's having heart problems or a bleeding ulcer. He's scheduled to have a heart cath done today to see what kind of shape his heart is in. After he recovers from that he's going to have to have a GI work up and a colonoscopy. David is a hard working guy, and very much a man's man. Being so invalid right now is really hard for him. He's going to have a long recovery time, no matter what ends up being the cause, and will be spending a lot of time on bedrest.

I want to make him an afghan for when he's at home recovering. I'm not looking for anything frilly or fancy here. Plain squares would probably suit him best. He's a huge football fan and loves the Miami Dolphins so I was thinking of doing squares in orange, white and teal for him (the team colors). I'm going to shoot for twelve inch squares because it only takes a few of them to make a small afghan. If any of you could help I'd really appreciate it. I'm hoping to get it done as quickly as I can so that he can have it not long after he gets home.

I'm heading off to the hospital right now to be with my mom and brothers (they're only eight and three) while he's in surgery. Thanks so much for any help.

-Teresa

Update: David's heart cath went well, but unfortunately the results weren't good. He has a major blockage in one of the major arteries in his heart. The doctor said it was a 95% blockage. They weren't able to stint it and he's going to have open heart surgery on Monday morning for a bypass. This is a real blow to my family as he's been the only breadwinner for my mom and brothers (I live on my own). Luckily he does have short term disability insurance. The doctor's are thinking that he'll recover very well from the surgery but it's still going to be a long recovery.

Also, tcandlgmom found a square pattern that has a football in the middle of it. It's at: http://crochet.about.com/library/n020505.htm. Thanks so much for posting the pattern! It's not a twelve inch square, but it wouldn't be very hard to add on a couple of rows to increase the size.

Teresa,

I figured since the squares aren't for you I could spoil the surprise of what the squares look like. This is the one I finished this evening, it hasn't been washed or blocked.

Dolphin Football Square

:hug

That looks great! I'm almost done with my first one. It's been hard to get a moment to crochet when I'm not at the hospital, and I can't just work on his blanket in front of him. I like the pattern a lot. I had to rework it once because I messed up on the football, but now that I've got the hang of it I really like it. I'm also going to do a couple with this square: http://www.crochetnmore.com/dolphinafghansquare.htm but I'm going to have to play around with the size a little. It says that it's 5 3/4", but it was done in sports weight. I'm probably going to do the graph part and then edge in a granny style until it's big enough.

Thanks so much for your help. Every little bit helps. :hug

I've got yarn in the perfect colors for the Miami Dolphins. If you can wait until Friday, 4/3, for me to mail it, I will happily send you a square or two. PM me and let me know, and if yes, then give me your addy to mail them to. :)

I've got yarn in the perfect colors for the Miami Dolphins. If you can wait until Friday, 4/3, for me to mail it, I will happily send you a square or two. PM me and let me know, and if yes, then give me your addy to mail them to. :)

It's going to be at least until then before I'm able to get enough squares together, so that's fine. Thanks so much for the help. I'll PM you with my address.

I would love to help out as this is my DH fav team also. Will be sending you a PM for your addy :hook

I already sent you a PM, but I wanted to thank you for the help. David grew up in Miami and is passionate about them the way only a native can be. If I was going to make him anything it had better be Dolphin colors. :-)

He's going in for his bypass this morning, sometime between 9 and 2, but more likely by 11. I'm on the way to the hospital to pick up my little brothers.

We'd really be grateful if any or all of you would say an extra prayer that everything goes well.

I just thought I'd update here with what's been going on with David. His surgery went very well. They didn't even have to take a vein from his arm or leg for the bypass, they were able to get it from behind his sternum. One less incision to heal right? He was moved from Cardiac ICU to a room on the floor only one day after his bypass was done and has been doing a great job of staying sitting up and walking around the unit occasionally. It's looking like they might let him come home as early as tomorrow! We're all very excited both that he's doing so well and that he might get to come home so quickly.

I'm still working away on squares for him whenever I get the chance. I already have three done myself, and I'm going to repeat the same three with the colors reversed. Hopefully now that things have calmed down a little I'll have more time to work on them.

I'd like to thank all of you for your help. It really means a lot. This has been a very hard week for my family and it's so nice to know that people I've never even met are thinking about us and praying for us.

It's looking like David will get to come home from the hospital today. The only thing the doctor is waiting on before he discharges him is for him to take a shower on his own. They think that if anything is going to happen that will be where it happens.

He's still in a lot of pain, but overall is doing well. He's going to be on a pretty strict rest for the next couple of months though.

I'm planning on making the afghan 4 squares wide by 5 squares tall which means I need twenty squares total. So far there are a few in the mail (thanks again!) and I've made three and a half (started another one last night). I'm going to keep working on them of course, but if anyone out there has a moment to spare to make or send a twelve inch square I could really use the help. The colors are orange, torquoise/teal,and white. The relative theme is the Miami Dolphins, but even a plain white square would be very useful.

Thanks again everyone for all of your help!

If you're taking any pattern, I can help with at least one 12 inch square. When do you want/need them by?

Joyce

I am grateful for any pattern at all. I've got a couple of just plain old grannies in the works myself. David is home from the hospital now, so I'm trying to get the afghan together as quickly as I can so that he can have it while he recover. Whenever you can would be great. Thank you so much for the help.

David is a very lucky :yay man. I had quadruple bypass in 06 and was in the hospital for 21 days. Came out with a paralized (sp?) left diaphram (sp?) with fluid on my left lung that had to be drained (that was NOT a fun thing). I will continue to keep him in my prayers and I will also send you some squares. Please PM me with your address. Take care and have a great :cheerweekend.

Andrea

(sorry for poor spelling):(

Hi Kaylana,

I'm working on a square with a dolphin in the center. I'm not sure how this is going to work out. I'll post a picture here tomorrow and if you think it's ok I'll get it into the mail Monday. PM me your address please. Sorry it took me so long to answer this post but I'm also working on a comfortghan for a friend.

David is a very lucky :yay man.

He really is very lucky. Even the doctors thought it was kind of odd that all of his arteries were completely clear but the one that was blocked had a whopping 95% blockage. I'm sorry to hear about the ordeal you went through. So far the hardest part of his recovery has been convincing him to get the rest and healing that he needs, and working on diet changes of course. Thank you so much for your help.

That's a wonderful looking square! I think we used the same pattern. I think it's great and will look awesome. I'll send you a PM with my address.

Thank you so much for helping. You guys have no idea how much this means to me.

Here is the square I just finished. I'm sorry but this was as close to teal as I could get. Let me know if it's ok and PM me your address and it will be in the mail Monday.

100_1243.jpg

http://s498.photobucket.com/albums/r...9.jpg&newest=1

That square is GREAT! And, I'm glad to see the colors are similar to the ones I'm using

Joyce

Here is the square I just finished. I'm sorry but this was as close to teal as I could get. Let me know if it's ok and PM me your address and it will be in the mail Monday.

100_1243.jpg

http://s498.photobucket.com/albums/r...9.jpg&newest=1

MY dolphin isn't crocheted in... I cheated and cross stitched it on top...:blush:devil

I would never have been able to tell from the picture. I might try that on the next one. Doing that many color changes in something that's so small was a bit of a pain. I admit that I got lazy and just carried the color across the back.

Those are pretty much the same colors I've been using too. Anything from teal to turquoise or somewhere in between seams to work. Besides, it's more the thought that matters than that the colors are an exact match.

Square is in the envelope ready to go to the post office tomorrow. I did try carrying the yarn along the row and tried dropping and starting where the next stitch would start, and finally frogged the thing and decided to cross stitch. That was my best idea! :lol:D

Archived