Joining your knitting!

alibra

I am a newbie and I have a lot of trouble with joining knitting, for instance I made a hat and it has a seam. I don't like the look of it when I sew or whip stitch the seams. I tried joining with sc but I don't think I am doing it right because it doesn't look as neat as I would like. Are there any tricks or tried and true methods you use and could share. Thanks for any help!

:cheerGoogle "Mattress Stitch" and learn how to do that and you will love your seams.

I use it on all but the under arm sleeve seam where I use "Back Stitch" for elasticity and strength.

Whip Stitch is not easy to do neatly enough to make a nice seam on knitting.

Mattress Stitch is done with the outside facing so you can see exactly what it looks like as you go.

Hope this helps.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

PS, I Googled for you and found the best illustration.

There are others but this is the best to follow.

http://www.yarn-store.com/technique-seaming-row-to-row.html

I would hold my work so the seam was going right to left rather than up like the pictures but I think they just did that for show.

I knew you would be able to help me, the mattress stitch is wonderful, virtually no seam...love it!! Thank you so much, off to knit another hat, maybe I will learn to do the circular method...I am such a dreamer..I do find knitting very relaxing, just like my crocheting. Thank you ladies!!

Archived