Sponsored: April 2009 Sock CAL

th_100_1320.jpg My first sock is done, whohoo! Can't wait to get the other done. And I did the coat hanger sock blocker. But I will block when both are done.

LaVonne I love the pattern you choose and the yarn is so pretty.... Which pattern did you do? Looks like the coat hanger is going to work well for an inexpensive sock blocker... Hugs, Molly

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just love how that yarn is working up! When I get the extra money saved I am ordering some more yarn.

Would you mind reminding us what yarn your are using??

I was at a knitting group last night and got to touch someone else's "Fixation" by Cascade in both knitted sock and knitted sweater form. That is some seriously stretchy yarn!! I think that would translate well into crochet since crochet does not tend to have as much "give" as knitting does.

On the down (or plus, depending on your view) side, Fixation is a larger gauged yarn than most sock yarns, so it will work up bulkier. It is soft, but if the texture of crocheted socks irritates the bottom of your feet, I don't know if the larger gauge would exasperate that issue, or if the softness of the yarn makes up for it!

I have not yet ordered my yarn...can't decide!!!! :loco I have knitted socks...know what I like in that area; but crocheted socks are a whole new thing for me. I would appreciate anyone's feedback and experience with what yarns translate well into crocheted socks.

Just a word of warning...you block your socks when they are wet/damp. Coat hangers are made of metal...are you getting where I am heading here??? Please take care that you do not end up with rust on your special socks!!! Check your metal sock-blockers regularly and toss them at the first sign of rusting.

Check your metal sock-blockers regularly and toss them at the first sign of rusting.
I agree with this, but the tutorial says to use the plastic-coated wire hangers. If the hanger is new or in good shape (no nicks in the plastic coating) it should be safe. According to the tutorial, no tools are used to bend the hangers (you shape them by hand), so there shouldn't be any damage to the plastic coating when turning the hanger into a sock blocker.

I was at a knitting group last night and got to touch someone else's "Fixation" by Cascade in both knitted sock and knitted sweater form. That is some seriously stretchy yarn!! I think that would translate well into crochet since crochet does not tend to have as much "give" as knitting does.

I ordered some Sugar Bunny Blvd: Emeline and it is extremely stretchy! And soft. It is 55% Bamboo, 24% Cotton, 21% elastic.

I have not yet ordered my yarn...can't decide!!!! :loco I have knitted socks...know what I like in that area; but crocheted socks are a whole new thing for me. I would appreciate anyone's feedback and experience with what yarns translate well into crocheted socks.
I don't have the experience to tell you, but wanted to mention that you don't have to crochet socks out of all the yarn you order from the Loopy Ewe. The only requirement to participate in this CAL is ordering the yarn to crochet one pair of socks. If you want to order more yarn than that, you can crochet more socks, knit socks, make a shawl or scarf, or whatever you want. So an option is to order a couple of very different types of yarn, and if you don't like the way the first one is crocheting up into socks, save it for knit socks and use the other yarn for your crocheted pair. I hope that helps!

I agree with this, but the tutorial says to use the plastic-coated wire hangers. If the hanger is new or in good shape (no nicks in the plastic coating) it should be safe. According to the tutorial, no tools are used to bend the hangers (you shape them by hand), so there shouldn't be any damage to the plastic coating when turning the hanger into a sock blocker.

I only had one plastic coated hanger, so I had to use one metal one for now in order to make a pair. Most of the stores I get to no longer have those type of hangers, only the all plastic ones that don't bend. Guess I'll have to shop around on line for them.

I only had one plastic coated hanger, so I had to use one metal one for now in order to make a pair. Most of the stores I get to no longer have those type of hangers, only the all plastic ones that don't bend. Guess I'll have to shop around on line for them.

I just bought mine at walmart.

On the down (or plus, depending on your view) side, Fixation is a larger gauged yarn than most sock yarns, so it will work up bulkier. It is soft, but if the texture of crocheted socks irritates the bottom of your feet, I don't know if the larger gauge would exasperate that issue, or if the softness of the yarn makes up for it!

Well i have started making my first pair of socks fir the fixation yarn and WOW it is beautiful as well as soft and easy to work with. glad I ordered 4 different colors. Here is a pic of what I hve done so far. this is a cuff down pattern with a turned heel. I may try an after thought heel next.

firstsock.jpg?t=1240579895

please forgive my ignorance, but how and why do you have to block socks.

I block socks by wetting them and then gently pulling/pushing them into the shape I want them to end up in. Other folks have different methods, like using blockers or pins.

Blocking helps shape the FO. If it's lacy, blocking helps the lace to lie flat and the patterns to be clearer.

Hope that helps a bit. :)

Photobucket is not working for me today :( so I can't post a thumbnail:cry

but maybe I can link to a photo on flickr http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3578/...61c20cd448.jpg

The yarn is so pretty I had to share! L to R it is Dream in Color Classy (worsted) in Beach Fog, Scarlet Fleece Tubular in Pacific, and DIC Smooshy in Wisterious. I'm swatching the Scarlet Fleece and am leaning toward the Red Heart pattern that Lavonne used--I think the construction seems pretty straightforward and I like the stitch pattern on the top of the foot. The DIC colors are even better in person than they looked on the website. I might have to think about a sweater for myself in the Beach Fog :) Will probably use the Wisterious for a hat for my niece.

Yay :yay for this CAL and the discount!!

Well i have started making my first pair of socks fir the fixation yarn and WOW it is beautiful as well as soft and easy to work with. glad I ordered 4 different colors. Here is a pic of what I hve done so far. this is a cuff down pattern with a turned heel. I may try an after thought heel next.

firstsock.jpg?t=1240579895

Can't really see the pic that good, but from what I can see the colors are gorgeous. What pattern are you using?

but maybe I can link to a photo on flickr http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3578/...61c20cd448.jpg

The yarn is so pretty I had to share! L to R it is Dream in Color Classy (worsted) in Beach Fog, Scarlet Fleece Tubular in Pacific, and DIC Smooshy in Wisterious. I'm swatching the Scarlet Fleece and am leaning toward the Red Heart pattern that Lavonne used--I think the construction seems pretty straightforward and I like the stitch pattern on the top of the foot. The DIC colors are even better in person than they looked on the website. I might have to think about a sweater for myself in the Beach Fog :) Will probably use the Wisterious for a hat for my niece.

Now your making me want to buy more yarn. Those colors are beautiful I absolutly love the last one. Can't wait to see what you do with them.

I just bought mine at walmart.

Will have to check them out, car having brakes and shocks done yesterday and today, so have only checked out Kmart today (while doing test drive). Taking trip up to DDs house Sunday and Walmart is near her so I will stop in then.

Thanks for the heads up.

Yeah car problems are going around. I come out of walmart today and I had a big puddle of antifreeze under my car. BF says its a heater hose. Luckily he knows how to fix cars or I would be walking.

Love your colors.

Now that I've got it, i sure wish I could have ordered more...too bad we can only use the discount code once! But I think I might be hooked:hook now! :lol

Know what you mean. But i will definatley go back for more sometime.

UUUGGGHHH!!!!! :thair I have frogged the heel on my socks 3 times and I STILL can not get it right!!! I'm doing a toe up pattern with a turn heel...why can I not get this right in my head???!!!!:think

Everything is right there in front of me....I WILL make this heel work :yes

Come on girls...say it with me...I think I can, I think I can, I think I can!!

UUUGGGHHH!!!!! :thair I have frogged the heel on my socks 3 times and I STILL can not get it right!!! I'm doing a toe up pattern with a turn heel...why can I not get this right in my head???!!!!:think

Everything is right there in front of me....I WILL make this heel work :yes

Come on girls...say it with me...I think I can, I think I can, I think I can!!

I sympathize with you, went through the frogging thing when trying to find the right pattern to use.

I am going to think positive for you ..... I know you can, I know you can

:yes

Yeah :cheer :cheer

i have just completed my first ever socks.

firstsock3.jpgfirstsock2.jpg

coming from queensland australia, the need for long socks is non existant.:think

So ankle sock it is.

pattern is the basic sock. Lucky the measurements in the instructions fit me perfectly.

I used a size 3.5 hook. Thread, YP Seaside - Merino/Tencel - Yarn Pirate and i seem to have a lot left over. Going to try japanese slippers now. :yes

thank-you to the sock cal, or i probably would never have tried my hand at attempting socks. :yay

• Donna changed the title to Sponsored: April 2009 Sock CAL
  • Donna locked this topic

Archived