Sponsored: April 2009 Sock CAL

I just placed my order, after lots and lots and lots of moving things back and forth from my wish list to my shopping cart. I finally decided on:

Sheepaints Silk Bamboo in Chocolate Strawberry: 60% wool, 20% silk, 20% natural bamboo

Fleece Artist Sea Wool in Rose: 70% merino wool, 30% Seacell

The Alpaca Yarn Company Paca Peds in Teal for Two: 65% superwash wool, 20% alpaca, 15% nylon

I also got 3 skeins of Noro Kureyon Sock #188 so I can make Margaret Hubert's fabulous jacket that's on the May cover of Crochet! magazine. This freeform jacket won a huge prize at CGOA's first annual design contest at Chain Link last year.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great selection Amy, i love the sound of the chocolate strawberry. I always wanted to try some silk yarn. But my favorite color of all of them is the rose. Can't wait to see what you make with them.

Got to row 9 of the cuff with the Panda Cotton and decided I didn't like how it looked and felt in the first pattern I picked (too bulky), so I switched to the Colorful crochet socks and it is working up fine, nice and soft and thin with plenty of stretchability. I am on row 11 of this cuff now.

Love your choices Amy.

I got it!!! I got it!!! I got it!!! :clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

I was skipping back to the house from my mail box today!! The yarn is SO MUCH prettier "in person" than on the web!!! I absolutely can not wait to start on my new socks...and they will be MINE!!!! :hook

Molly, I had been looking over which pattern to choose and then saw your link for the Intuitive Shell Socks. Pattern found. :cheer

Now I'm on the hunt for yarn. :c9 I love yarn shopping!

I made my first pair of socks in January and used the Intuitive Shell Socks and love the pattern.. But this time I am going to try the Basic Crochet Sock .... I want to join in if it is not too late... Hugs, Molly

Switched patterns again, :lol. Just wasn't enough body in the cuff, found out I needed a pattern that called for a smaller hook and was adjustable enough (simpler stitch pattern) to make all the adjustments needed for these silly feet of mine. So now I have finished toe and started foot of Stepping Stones. Looks like I will be sticking to this one.

(I hope.)

Welcome to the new additions to this Cal. The yarns are lovelier than the pics. Have fun!!!

i am now hoping i get my wool in time to complete the socks. forgot to allow for international posting. hope they are quick. and the fact i haven't ever attempted socks before might add more time as well.

Up to beginning of short heel now. Had to make many adjustments as the Stepping Stones called for fingering yarn, and I am using Panda Cotton, and have to make alot of inc/dec for my feet, but it is working out wonderfully. Took a short break this am to do some quick shopping for Hubby Swap. But now that I have become addicted to this pattern, and have all my notes on the adjustments needed, I will be making more. The elasticity and light weight of the Panda is just perfect for me.

Ok Amy I soooooooooooooo want in on this one. I m going to order my yarn as soon as I can decide which one I want. Heck I may by enough for several pairs and make christmas pressies.

Ok I just ordered $50.00 woth of sock yarn and that was after the coupon! :eek DH may klll me. lol. Now to decide on a pattern or 2 so that when the yarn gets here I can get started.

I finally placed my order. It was so hard to decide! I splurged big time, but then again, it's been a long, long time since I bought any yarn of any kind.

I'm so glad we're doing this together! I don't think I would have bought really nice sock yarn and crocheted socks on my own.

I've never crocheted socks before (well, I did start a sock once years ago, but barely got past the toes), and I don't know how they'll feel, so I wanted to get really soft yarns. Also, I'm very particular about even my store-bought socks; I like them to have a lot of cotton or at least be absorbent and breathe well (I know, I know, wool breathes, too). But I didn't want plain superwash wool. I wanted a blend with cotton or bamboo or something. Here's what I chose:

:check Fleece Artist: Sea Wool Bordello Sock: Color Angel Fish

70% Merino Wool, 30% Seacell (a link to info about Seacell fiber)

115 gr, 354 yds (325 m)

I ordered 2 skeins of the Fleece Artist Sea wool because even though I haven't crocheted socks before, researching various patterns leads me to believe that I'll need at least 400 yards for a pair of ankle socks.

:check Sugar Bunny Blvd: Emeline: Color Spice

55% Bamboo, 24% Cotton, 21% elastic

Approx. 400 yds, 4 oz.

:check All Things Heather: Merino/Tencel: Color Eclectic

50% Superwash Merino, 50% Tencel

Approx. 410 yds

:checkLoopy Plastic Sock Blocker - two in size medium

I'm looking forward to receiving my order and starting on my socks! I haven't decided on the pattern(s) I'll use yet. I have a few in mind, but I want to swatch with the yarns to see which stitch pattern looks best with each yarn.

I can't tell you how brave I think you folks are, to order this lovely (but pricey) sock yarn for your first socks! I used some cheap dk acrylic for my first socks. Once you start using the nice sock yarn, though, there's no going back! I really can't wait to see how all this gorgeous yarn works up into socks!

:checkLoopy Plastic Sock Blocker - two in size medium

I'm looking forward to receiving my order and starting on my socks! I haven't decided on the pattern(s) I'll use yet. I have a few in mind, but I want to swatch with the yarns to see which stitch pattern looks best with each yarn.

OOOO!!! I should have thought of that for the merino I bought.

I tried the swatching, and thought they looked great, but once I got into the actual sock, found out some just don't have enough body. :lol Live and learn...even at my age.

But you have chosen some gorgeous yarn!!!

Actually, you don't need sock blockers, but I wanted them. I asked AmyS before I ordered and she said she's knitted lots of socks and wears and washes them regularly, but doesn't use sock blockers.

I wanted them mainly to take pretty pictures of my socks and to take advantage of the discount! I also think the red plastic sock blockers are bright and fun. I like the idea of wooden sock blockers (which The Loopy Ewe also carries), but I chose plastic because I want to be able to put them to some use and abuse.

I can't tell you how brave I think you folks are, to order this lovely (but pricey) sock yarn for your first socks!

Gosh, it is expensive, but it's a rare splurge for me. I can't even remember the last time I bought yarn since mothering my three year-old and managing Crochetville both keep me so busy!

Crocheting comes pretty naturally for me, and I rarely have problems following crochet instructions. I feel like I can make anything if I put my mind to it, so I'm not afraid of good yarn! ;)

I really can't wait to see how all this gorgeous yarn works up into socks!
Me, too! This is one of the reasons I picked some of the nicer yarns. I think the Fleece Artist Sea Wool in the color Angel Fish is particularly gorgeous in knit socks shown on The Loopy Ewe, so I'm very curious to see what it will look like in crocheted socks.

I got my yarn today!!!!!! Yipee, oh its so soft too. Now to find the right pattern for my yarn. I would of liked to have gotten some of the prettier yarn, but just can't afford it. This was in my price range, and all they had was solid colors. Oh well maybe next time .

I would of liked to have gotten some of the prettier yarn, but just can't afford it.
Every yarn I saw on the Loopy Ewe looked awesome! And I assure you, I looked at every single one! :lol

I saw some very inexpensive ones that tempted me; I'd like to try some next time.

• Donna changed the title to Sponsored: April 2009 Sock CAL
  • Donna locked this topic

Archived