Sponsored: April 2009 Sock CAL

Found the pattern I want to use, its the Chocolate covered cherries socks. The free pattern of the day today on annies attic. Now to pick out my yarn.

:) That is one of the ones I decided on!! I bought the Malabrigo yarn for that (with a tiny bit of scrap for a trim). I am not that good at zig zags, so it will give me a chance to practice without making a big mess (like with an afghan).

I also purchased Crystal Palace to make the Origami socks.

With all the problems I have with my feet (heel spurs, one foot wider than the other, high instep, diabetes, etc) I am hoping I can adjust for all this (with the instructions for adjustments) and wind up with a custom made fit. And socks that I can wear with my shoes!!!:D

Can hardly wait to start!!! Going to try the "do both at same time" method so I wind up with a pair and not just 1 orphan sock, :lol .

With 2 months, and only 1 swap and 1 Kal I have plenty of time, I think.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Help, it calls for a fine sports weight yarn. What would be a suitable yarn?

Most any yarn that is labeled as a 1 should work I would think. I went through all the yarns and read each description.

OH sign me up!!! I just was thinking about making some socks. I attempted a pair a while ago, but I definately had the wrong yarn!!?? What was I thinking? Anyway, I just got a new pattern book for socks and I have checked out some patterns that were listed here in this link too. I'm excited to join. Now I just have to go over to the loopy ewe and get my yarn(and maybe a few extras too!). Can't wait to see everybody's lovely socks!!!

My yarns arrived today. So thrilled. A little hesitant about the Malabrigo, but totally in love with the Panda Cotton.

Working on Hubby Swap right now, just a few things more to make, then shopping and hopefully all will be ready for this CAL.

When do we start??? :lol

I've added everyone's names to the participant list.

Is anybody else interested in joining us? The CAL will run through May 31, and yarn can be ordered at the special discount through May 1. Sheri ships FAST, so even if you order on the last day of the coupon, you should still have enough time to complete your socks by the end of the CAL.

Come on, everyone! Join us! This is a great way to try some of the super-yummy sock yarn for a great price!

If you're worried about spending that much money on one skein of yarn, here's how I justify it: I calculate my per-hour-of-entertainment-cost.

If I spend $20 on a 2-hour movie and popcorn, that's $10 per hour of entertainment.

Say I pay $20 for the yarn and it takes me 20 hours to make a pair of socks. That's $1 per hour of entertainment.

It's much more cost-effective to spend the money on yarn and check out some movies from my local library for free!

From the first post in the thread:

Dates for the CAL:

The CAL will begin on April 1. This thread will stay open until May 31. If you start at the very beginning, you'll have a full two months to complete your socks.

So the CAL is underway! Everyone, please feel free to talk about your progress on your socks, or your decision-making process as you select your sock yarn, whatever you want to say!

Personally, I'm still working on what I'm going to order!

Amy

After reading through some instructions for different patterns that are listed the socks that seem easiest for me are Karen's pattern from the Toe Up Socks Class. That is the pattern I will be using.

My yarn should arrive in today's mail I ordered two different types I will have to wait until the yarn arrives to decide which one I want to use for this CAL.

I'm going to order soon...I'm flying two weeks from today!!!! I'll be choosing some multi-colored yarn and making a very basic pair of socks from my own pattern. I don't want to experiment with expensive yarn and make socks I won't like to wear!

This may be true for knit sock patterns, too (I haven't succeeded in knitting socks yet, although I'd like to), but I think crocheted socks are rather fiddly. They don't stretch the same way knit socks do, and if they are too big--ugh. The good news is, of course, that they are very customizable. I've been tweaking my pattern until I have it just the way I like it...but wouldn't you know the pair that finally incorporated all the little things I wanted, just the way I wanted them...was a pair for my daughter! So now I'm ready to make a pair for me...

Absolutely you can join in! Participants have to purchase their yarn from The Loopy Ewe, is the only stipulation. The coupon is good through May 1, so we can take new participants all the way through then. :hook

I have some cream colored sock yarn I am going to start before my new yarn comes in.... Glad that the guy I work for owed me some money I went a bit over board with yarn for sure... He said I could spend up to 100 and I tried to spend it all... LOL.... I'll be making socks forever... LOL... Thanks.... Hugs, Molly

Now it is to make up my mind which color to use... I started a pair of socks using the Patons Kroy Socks but I think I will set that one aside for now and use some of my new exciting yarns fusha I thin has my attention at the moment I think... It is The Fixation Cascade Yarns... Now to figure out which pattern will go good with it... Thanks Loopy Ewe for shipping it out so fast... Hugs, Molly

Hi all, I'm kinda in a bind right now and don't know if I will be able to do this cal. I was thinking if I can find a sock pattern I can use either baby yarn or worsted yarn I can still do this. But I just can't afford any sock yarn right now. So I will look around and see what I can do. If anyone knows of any sock patterns that use baby or ww please let me know.

well was just reading post, and I guess i can't participate. You have to buy yarn from the loopy ewe. So I guess I will sit back and watch.

Yes, sorry about that. But that's the whole purpose of a yarn-store-sponsored CAL: to have the participants purchase their yarn from the store. Otherwise, there's no incentive for the store to participate.

Maybe you'll be able to join us next time!

I decided on the yarn I am using which is Trekking Hard Art yarn made in Germany. It is gorgeous yarn. Here is the link. It's a beautiful green. The price $20 seems like a lot of money for one pair of socks but the yarn is so beautiful and soft it's worth every penny.

As for my pattern I am doing the Toe Up Socks pattern from Karen's sock class. I have already done the toe for both socks. Now onto the foot part for both socks! The part I hate the worst about the pattern is the toe part. The rest of the pattern I love. I hate the toe part because of the counting.

I also purchased a beautiful lavender yarn for $36 I about freaked out when I saw the price but when I looked at the yardage I realized I could do 4 pairs of socks with Karen's sock pattern. Then the price didn't seem so bad. This yarn is very thin. The shade of lavender is lovely. I can't wait to make the socks and then wear them!

Thanks Loopy Ewe for the 20% off coupon. I probably never would have tried your store if not for the discount. I will be back buying more in the future!

"My" sock pattern has a toe that requires minimal counting. This is part of the reason writing the pattern down so someone else could use it has never happened. "Increase by 4 stitches in each round, doing 2 increases on each side of the toe (at random)." That would go over big, huh? I'm going to place my order this weekend. I'll be in PA on the 20th, so even with the holiday, I hope the yarn will arrive within a few days. I didn't want it to get there too early for fear my mom would either 1) lose it or 2) (worse!) use it. She crochets, too.

Okay, I've been browsing and perusing, and I finally click-click-clicked and it's a done deal! I won't pretend I didn't spoil myself. I did. I decided to take advantage of the awesome discount offered with this CAL, plus the free shipping over $75, and I ordered this, and this, and this.

At first I was just going to order that last one, but...:blush

Two of the yarns will become socks, but the sea silk is destined to be a gorgeous summer scarf, probably in my favorite (I already have two) Boteh scarf pattern. If not that, then Queen Anne's lace.

I'm packing my favorite hooks to take to the US...they don't take up any space at all!

By the way, I LOVED the fact that I was able to pay directly with paypal, instead of putting in my cc#. Way to go, Loopy Ewe!

I'm not really looking forward to this trip to the US, although there will be good things about it. There is a lot of tedious business to be done, plus I'll be leaving my 18yo son behind for work and college (it will be long time before I have a completely empty nest, but the exodus has begun). Ordering this yarn has given me a real boost and something to look forward to! I hope I'll have enough internet access to make me feel like a real part of the CAL, but at the very least, I'll post pictures of my finished socks!

• Donna changed the title to Sponsored: April 2009 Sock CAL
  • Donna locked this topic

Archived