Sponsored: April 2009 Sock CAL

Welcome to our very first Sponsored Sock CAL! This CAL is sponsored by Sheri at The Loopy Ewe, an online store specializing in sock yarn. Sheri says, "It's our mission to provide you with top quality sock & lace yarns, patterns, fun accessories, and encouragement and inspiration for finding more time to do what you love - knitting [or crochet!]."

Sheri has told us that one of her goals for this year is for The Loopy Ewe to promote the store's intention to be very friendly toward crocheters. She has invited all Sponsored Sock CAL participants to email her a picture of your completed socks so she can show them off in a crocheted socks gallery on her store website. You can find her email address on The Loopy Ewe website.

Sheri is offering a very generous 20% discount on your entire purchase (as much as you want of anything you want) with The Loopy Ewe for the first order you place for this CAL. The coupon code will only be valid on one order placed during the valid coupon dates. Keep reading for more details.

The Loopy Ewe also has a Frequent Shopper Benefits program. When a customer's orders accumulate to $250, the Loopy Ewe will give you a $25.00 account credit towards a future purchase. The Loopy Ewe keeps track of customers' totals (less discounts, taxes, and shipping) and sends an email when the $25.00 credit is earned. Your CAL purchase will count towards your total for the Frequent Shopper Benefits program. Isn't that great?

Dates for the CAL:

The CAL will begin on April 1. This thread will stay open until May 31. If you start at the very beginning, you'll have a full two months to complete your socks.

Who Can Participate?

All registered members of Crochetville are eligible to participate in this Sponsored Sock CAL. You need to be registered so you can post in this thread. If you're not a registered member, you can register a free account here.

To participate in this Sponsored Sock CAL, you MUST purchase your yarn from The Loopy Ewe using the special discount code (see below for how to get the code).

NOTE: This is a crochet-along (CAL) and not a class on how to crochet socks. All participants should already know how to crochet a basic pair of socks or be very comfortable with their ability to learn the skills needed on their own. We won't be teaching you HOW to make a pair of socks, but we'll try to help you out if you have questions about a particular pattern.

If you don't know how to crochet socks yet and don't feel comfortable learning on your own, please take our online class offered by Karen Whooley. Keep an eye on our class schedule to see when this class will be offered again in 2009. After taking the class, you can sign up for another Sponsored Sock CAL later this year.

How to Order Yarn with the CAL Discount:

1. Post a message in this thread that you will participate in the Sponsored Sock CAL.
  2. Use the Contact Us form to request the special discount code. Be sure to include your Crochetville username, real name, and email address you will use when placing your order.
  3. AmyS or Donna will send you the discount code. You may not share this code with any other person. (Members who share the code with others will be ineligible to participate in any other Sponsored CALs.)
  4. Go to the Loopy Ewe website and place your order. Be sure to enter your discount code before you submit your order.

Discount Code Terms and Conditions:

1. Code is good for a 20% discount on your entire order (before shipping and any applicable sales tax). Be sure to enter the code before submitting your order. Discount cannot be applied retroactively to any order submitted without the code.
  2. Code is valid for one order only.
  3. Code is valid from Monday, March 23, 2009 to Friday, May 1, 2009. Discount cannot be applied to any orders placed before or after the coupon dates.
  4. Code may only be used by members participating in the Sponsored Sock CAL.
  5. You may not share the code with anyone else.
  6. If you have any trouble using the code, please contact Sheri. She will be happy to help you with any ordering problems you may have.

Sock Yarn:

The Loopy Ewe offers an incredible range of sock yarns. You may use any sock yarn carried by The Loopy Ewe for your project.

Crocheted Sock Patterns:

You may use any pattern you like for this Sponsored Sock CAL. We've prepared a resource list below for patterns that may be of interest to you. All patterns in the following list are made with sock yarn or fingering weight yarn.

Beginners:

by Nicole Cormier (PG-13 blog title; PG language)

by Dorothy Hardy

by Jeanmarie DiTaranto

Intermediate:

(adult)

(kids)

by Kimberly Lewis (pdf file)

by Alison Grenier (pdf file)

(pdf file)

(pdf file)

(British terminology; different stitch names than US)

(pdf file)

by Janet Rehfeldt

(posted here at the 'Ville)

by Mary Rhodes

by The Crochet Dude (pdf file)

Discussion Thread:

This thread will be used for all general discussion related to the CAL. Let us know which yarns and gorgeous colors you're considering for your socks! Tell us about your final selection. Tell us which pattern you decided to make. Share your progress as you make your socks. Have a question about the pattern? Let us know what's causing you problems.

Photo Showcase Thread:

The April 2009 Sock CAL Showcase thread will be used as a gallery to show off all the completed socks made by Sock CAL participants. If you are able, please post a photo of your finished socks in the showcase thread. Be sure to let us know which yarn/color and pattern you used for your socks! It's okay to post a photo of your finished socks in both the discussion and the photo showcase thread. Don't forget to email Sheri a photo of your finished socks so she can include them in the crocheted sock gallery on her website!

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sock CAL Participants:

1. AmyS
  2. busymomof7
  3. byronnat100
  4. ChristinaCrochets
  5. clocke
  6. Crochet_Gram
  7. Donna
  8. HappyOldCro
  9. Jempast
  10. JoviMom
  11. Karen C.
  12. Krakovianka
  13. LavonneK
  14. magiccrochetfan
  15. mlo2mlo
  16. my2bois
  17. R3n331

I want to participate SO much, but I'm going to have to sit this out anyway, since I leave for the US on April 20th, and can't justify having yarn shipped to me here before I go. I probably don't have time to crochet the socks during April, anyway. But I waaaannnnt to. :(

Hope this planned event comes around again....

P.S. I did go browsing at the yarn on the site...marvelous! Maybe I'll take advantage of the free shipping deal while I'm in the US so I can play with the yarn when I come back...

Don't forget to post in this thread to let us know you want to participate in the CAL, then use the Contact Us form to request the discount code.

I still can't decide what sock yarn I want to buy on my limited budget! I wish I could buy one of everything. :hook

Great, Karen! Any specific yarn you're leaning toward right at the moment?

You mean I have to choose just one? I am addicted to sock yarn at the moment... all colors all types...

I am thinking something yummy maybe with silk in it... Like The Alpaca with a Twist Fino...

I have been looking at the site since I posted.. too many yarns! ;)

I've never made any socks and I thought that I could if I wanted to...is it hard to make them? If I follow the pattern I should come out with socks, right? :) Oh, I've been crocheting for a long time.

OK!

This is what I picked! http://www.theloopyewe.com/browse/yarns/alpaca-with-a-twist/fino/at-fino-sea-glass-4015/

I am going to design another sock pattern with this. I am teaching 2 classes at sock summit 2009 (both crochet) and I want to have a "thank you" pattern for my students...

I've never made any socks and I thought that I could if I wanted to...is it hard to make them? If I follow the pattern I should come out with socks, right? :) Oh, I've been crocheting for a long time.

Karen, if you've been crocheting a long time and are comfortable working with patterns, then you shouldn't have any problems at all making a pair of socks!

Come on and join us!

I just wanted to post and say I ordered my yarn from The Loopy Ewe on Wednesday.. and I got it in today's mail!

I am thrilled with it too! It is soooooooooooooooooooo Soft.

OK!

This is what I picked! http://www.theloopyewe.com/browse/yarns/alpaca-with-a-twist/fino/at-fino-sea-glass-4015/

I am going to design another sock pattern with this. I am teaching 2 classes at sock summit 2009 (both crochet) and I want to have a "thank you" pattern for my students...

Karen, that's gorgeous! It's much finer than standard sock yarn, isn't it? What size hook do you plan on using with it?

I still can't quite decide what sock yarn I want to buy. How many pairs of socks could I possibly make during the 2 months of the CAL????

I'm joining, made socks before but never got completely past the 'one sock syndrome'.

I'm hoping this CAL will help me with getting past that, since everyone will be submitting pics. Also only used worsted, which always felt more like slippers than sox. So now I will use thin yarn too. Browsed the web site and picked a few choices for yarn, my problem is deciding on a pattern. Don't want to purchase it until I decide on the final pattern (to see what and how much yarn I need). There were 5 I liked from the ones you posted, but I have to dig out my sock patterns and check them too.

One question about the yarn without labels, how much do you need of them to make a pair of socks?

I'm still peeking in here, wishing I could play. I thought this was for April? Is it for two months? Hmm. I'm pretty sure I'll have plenty of crochet time while I'm in the US...

Maybe, maybe, maybe. I'd have time to make socks, but I'm not sure how often I'll be online. Do you think it would be okay to participate if I only check in sporadically? :rolleyes

If this runs through May, I could just have the yarn sent to me in the US and start crocheting when I get there...

Isn't it pathetic? :ohdear But I do love to crochet socks and gorgeous sock yarn is hard to resist.

If this runs through May, I could just have the yarn sent to me in the US and start crocheting when I get there...

Karen, yes, the CAL will run for two months so nobody feels super-pressured to complete their socks.

We'll close out the threads for new posts on June 1.

The coupon isn't good that long, though. It will expire on May 1. So just be sure to place the order before then. Then the yarn will be ready and waiting for you when you get here to the States.

Use the Contact Us form, and I'll send you the coupon code.

Amy

Did anyone see the link to contact Sheri on the Loopy Ewe website or blog? I am having problems with my discount carrying over to the payment area.

Sheri's support email address is given on the main page of her website. Just scroll down to the greenish box on the right hand side that says "Need Help? Contact Us."

Make sure that your browser is set up to accept cookies from http://www.theloopyewe.com.

Amy

Sheri's support email address is given on the main page of her website. Just scroll down to the greenish box on the right hand side that says "Need Help? Contact Us."

Make sure that your browser is set up to accept cookies from www.theloopyewe.com.

Amy

Thanks Amy, going to double check my cookies now. PC was reformatted recently and I forgot to check all that.

• Donna changed the title to Sponsored: April 2009 Sock CAL
  • Donna locked this topic

Archived