Rejected before I begin?

Today a friend of DH came over for coffee. While we were chatting, I was working on a babyghan for my little sister. I'm using KrochetKrystal's daisy square pattern with a delicate cotton and they're very pretty squares - it's my first time to make them and I think I've finally got the hang of it. :lol Anyway, DH's friend was watching me, fascinated, and asked what I was doing. I explained it was going to be a babyghan for my sister and laid down the square beside one I'd just done.

And he just wrinkled his nose sceptically and made a "Bleurgh!" sound, like a grunt!

The thing is, his soon-to-be wife is also pregnant and I was going to make them a ghan for their new arrival, but I think he's made his feelings about crocheted blankets quite clear :yes He and his wife are kind of "shickey-mickey," as you say in German, a bit hoity-toity - only the best for them and their child. Would I be right to can the idea of a handmade babyghan and buy them something instead?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know his wife very well at all, but she's of the same ilk - likes everything "perfect" and preferably with a designer label. I was going to buy some expensive eco-cotton because she's really into having everything eco-friendly - would prefer the kind of cotton hand-picked by barefoot maidens in the Peruvian mountains, hehe :lol - but I don't know if I want to invest the time or money into something that they might find 'hick'. I don't want to embarrass my husband either, I don't want them to smirk about our quaint present and not recognise the work or care that goes into it.

Oh, dear. I think I've answered my own question. I think I'll just make babyghans for people who'd appreciate them :(

I'd check with his wife too. Men dont think the same as we do. My cousin is that way, only the best, only name brand, etc but she loves the blankets I made for her kids when they were born.

I would ask the wife how she feels about handmade items. Sometimes having things that are handmade fit in with the uber-exclusive ideals of the hoity toity crowd. "Oooh, handcrafted...really" or "Oh of course, this was custom made for little poopsykins!" But, just in case, you don't have to worry about embarrassing yourselves, it would be them that should be ashamed of not appreciating and loving something made with care just for them. If she seems uninterested, it's a matter of not wasting your time!

I would make one, but hang a tag on it with a price of... say, $175. Then say "Oh, dear - did I forget to remove that?" LOL! Just kidding. I wouldn't make anything for anyone who wouldn't appreciate it. I'd only end up kicking myself.

I love what yarnjeannie said... my kind of idea !!!! :)

Truthfully tho, I would ask the wife if there is a certain color scheme for the future baby's room because you would like to create a blanket that matches. Make sure she is aware that you will be making an heirloom blanket that can be handed down to future generations. :crocheting

I'd definitely approach the wife, and put it in terms of "a made JUST for you, heirloom, one of a kind, eco friendly item".

If you know what their weaknesses are, you can sell crochet to the right minded person with very little persuasion.

I'm not sure I would waste my time making them anything with an attitude like that. Maybe just get them a gift card to somewhere instead. I would hate for you to take your time making them something nice just for it go to unappreciated.

After reading the above messages, I must put in my 2 cents. Your dh's friend is a first class jerk with none of the class and obviously one of the nouvea riche that those of us who grew up with money totally disdain. Don't mean to offend anyone, but I can't stand snobs.

I would definitely ask his wife if she would like to have something very special and uniquely made with loving hands for her new baby. Ask about the theme and color for the baby room, and go to it.

I would also put a wonderful label on the blanket with words something like, Designed and hand-crafted for (baby's name).

My governess would probably have slapped that man unconscious (LOL)

Have fun making the blanket with the knowledge that you made something from your heart. I'll bet that the wife will cherish it and brag to her friends that this was made especially for her baby.

English is my 4th language and hope that I was able to articulate what I meant to say.

Hugs,

antwerpnative

Maybe if you felt like you should make them a ghan for baby, also "store buy" something..I just don't "get" people that don't appreciate handmade items..Anyone can mindlessly go to the store, pick out a gift and wrap it up..But handmade ahhhh..That is special...Good Luck in your decision..

A handmade gift is always one of a kind because no two are alike, maybe it was just that paticular pattern that the guy didn't like who knows, I have had my DH's friends wow over some of the stuff I have made and thier GF's not interested at all. :hook

I would make an afghan then make a label saying hand made just for you by Ect. one of a kind or something along those lines.

I agree that I would check with the wife first. Though if you already know that she's of the same mindset as her husband is, then it's probably a good bet not to bother doing one for her.

A good way to decide this I think would be to test the waters, so to speak.

Ask her what she needs for the baby, and tell her that you usually make (insert what you make here) but if she would prefer, you could get something she suggests she needs and would use. That way, you don't spend time and money on a handmade baby gift that she won't like, and you save hurt feelings on both sides. And if she does want the homemade crocheted gift, then you know it will be cherished.

Honestly, I wouldn't waste my time, money, nor energy on this. They are not going to like it no matter what because of their up-nose. :lol There are just people like that. I have them in my own family. They don't see beauty in art and so; they don't get any! I'm not bothered by it, just gives me more time to do for others.

"And he just wrinkled his nose sceptically and made a "Bleurgh!" sound, like a grunt!"

Get a card and put a $25.00 gift certificate in it. Tell them it is for their baby's first pacifier. LOL

Don't waste your time or skills on people like this...it is much too valuable.

I'd just buy something that's not too much trouble for you and that fits your budget. I don't think asking the wife will really work; doubt if she is likely to come right out and tell you she doesn't like handmade things, but they sound to me like they only go for labels. And if the husband is so rude as to go "bleah" when he saw your work, i wouldn't waste much time even on picking out a gift (and knowing me, would probably tell my DH it's his friend so he can pick out the gift). :devil

Maybe it was the pattern itself that he didn't like. If they're more of a hoity toity nature than maybe an heirloom style ghan would be more approriate for that family.

I'd thought about that myself and was going to do a plainer afghan and see how I liked it. A plain blanket is always useful and is not as much of a statement as a more intricate one, with squares and motifs.

I'd definitely approach the wife, and put it in terms of "a made JUST for you, heirloom, one of a kind, eco friendly item".

If you know what their weaknesses are, you can sell crochet to the right minded person with very little persuasion.

:lol Don't I know! My little sister has a small craft store and she's been demanding "handmade designer baby blankets" from me for years. The thing is, we both know they won't sell if they're affordably priced - then they're "just handmade". But if they're a bit over the affordable mark, then they become desirable "heirloom" items. It's so silly.

Your dh's friend is a first class jerk with none of the class and obviously one of the nouvea riche that those of us who grew up with money totally disdain.

He actually is one of the "nouveaux riches" in the sense that he comes from a rather modest background and is now a doctor. Not looking at it emotionally, I understand his and his wife's need to compensate and their belief that "things" define who they are and make them more important. However, I too grew up in a household where any kind of ostentation was considered vulgar, and money - how much money you have or spent - was not seen as a 'nice' conversation topic.

Anyway, thank you all for your input and the links to patterns. The Sandman afghan IS lovely. I'm going to have a look on CPC and look for some freebies before I buy a new pattern - I might get inspiration there!

Thank you once again! I feel better today :hug

I like yarnjeannie's comment! Personally, they don't deserve anything--handmade or purchased in my opinion. Don't waste your time, money or talent on ungrateful people.

i would ask the wife how she feels about handmade items. Sometimes having things that are handmade fit in with the uber-exclusive ideals of the hoity toity crowd. "oooh, handcrafted...really" or "oh of course, this was custom made for little poopsykins!" but, just in case, you don't have to worry about embarrassing yourselves, it would be them that should be ashamed of not appreciating and loving something made with care just for them. If she seems uninterested, it's a matter of not wasting your time!

dido!

Because of your husband's relationship with him I can see why, of course, you want to give them a gift. But honestly, someone who has the nerve to respond so arrogantly doesn't deserve something handmade. I wouldn't waste my time making them anything and I wouldn't waste my time asking the wife. What's she going to do - say oh no, I don't like handmade items (well, maybe she will if she's as blunt as him). I'd give them a gift card and send them on their merry, label-hunting way.

Archived