Caron Yarn

windsong

I like working with Caron's Simply Soft- I just finished a red scarf for my daughter and a berry blue one for me- simple alternating sc/dc stitch. Don't know how they will hold up since I've never used it before. I don't have a HL and have never used "I Love this Yarn" although I have seen alot of posts that say people like using it.

Simply Soft is OK, I've used it off and on when I had it on hand, but if given a choice between it & HL's "I Love This Yarn", I'd pick the HL yarn. Just my personal preference though. For 'standard' acrylic yarn, "I Love This Yarn" is my first choice over any of the others.

Simply soft seems to split from the hook when I use it. Not my first pick for a yarn.

:manyheart

I'd pick ILTY over Simply Soft but if you're talking about the Caron Pounders, that's kind of a different yarn. Depending on the pattern, I might use the ILTY or the Caron Pounder. I like them both!

The Caron one pounders have some softness, but not as much as ILTY. Both yarns have a firmness that's nice to work with. I have limited experience with Simply Soft, because I find it less substantial to work with. Though I think it would drape nicely compared to the firmer yarns. ILTY seems to combine nicely both the softness and firmness that I like; however, the color selection is limited to start with, and the HL store I go to often doesn't replenish its stock of colors as well as they could. Over the years, I've used a lot of Red Heart Super Saver because of the good color selection and availability -- and despite its somewhat rough feel before it's washed.

Caron One Pound is one of my very favorite yarns, I only wish it came in a few more colors! I don't care for the slippery limp feel of the Caron Simply Soft, though, and have never used any.

SS is my favorite acrylic to work with. Just in my opinion, I used ILTY one time for a blanket and had at least 3 skeins left over. I hated the yarn so much that I just gave it away. I DO NOT Love This Yarn!

A friend of mine wanted very specific colors for a blanket she wanted me to make for her babys christening last year. We went to pick out the colors (wasn't easy but we found the closest to what she wanted) and it was Caron Simply Soft. I asked her yesterday when I saw her, she has the afghan draped over the rocking chair in her daughters bedroom and asked her how it was holding up. She said great and the three mini blankets I made out of the remaining yarn that the little one drags around (she wanted the afghan larger than a baby size so she could grow into it) are holding up well under washes. She liked the softness of the yarn, and it never split for me.

LI Roe

I've used both the ILTY and the Caron yarns. The ILTY has more of a 'stretchy' feel to it. I've made a few hats with it and had to make them smaller than the pattern called for because it seems to stretch out. I am also a big fan of the Caron pounders, especially for afghans. I must admit though...I am currently using a pounder of black that isn't worth a nickel. I've had to cut several pieces off and re-tie where the yarn gets REALLY fat and fuzzy, almost like a foot long ball of lint. I've also run into a lot of fuzz balls wrapped AROUND the yarn itself, but they've been fairly easy to clip away...just a bit of a nuisance. This is the first problem I've really had from a pounder before, so I'm really hoping its just a bad skein, which can happen with ANY yarn.

I like both of them. I use to be an avid user of RHSS; but after using the ILTY; those days are over. It is so soft, launders up beautifully and the colors are gorgeous! I have three WIPs that I'm using Caron SS on now, It is a bit different, but still very nice. There's a different sheen to it. I'll use either one at any given time for sure.

Archived