Lotsa Hats!

Beeps

Here's a little backstory on the hats...

In June of 2007 my mom was diagnosed with a brain tumor and after a year of ups and downs with radiation and chemo, she passed away in June of 2008. I was lucky in that my husband agreed to sell our house and move in with my parents (a tiny room) so I could be her caregiver. She had taken care of everyone all her life and I'm so lucky I could take care of her for that year.

A couple months later I learned how to crochet (though my mom did teach me some basics when I was high school, which I had long forgot :P ) and then about a month after that I bought a bunch of random yarn for real cheap from a girl that was giving up knitting :cheer.

When mom lost her hair we looked around for hats that would be comfy and that she would like. We found one, only one. After I started crocheting, I got really annoyed at myself that I didn't learn this earlier so I could have made her hats. So instead, I figure I'll make a bunch of hats and when June comes I'll go and give these hats to the Chemo ward nurses to pass around. I make them whenever I have some spare time, and hopefully can make a bunch more by June.

So onto the hats I've made so far and finally took pics of :) (be gentle, I haven't been crocheting long!)

01-1.jpg

02-1.jpg

vvvThis one here is the Addison's Hat vvvv

03-1.jpg

This was one of my first ones, and I think I made it a little too short so will prob redo it or add onto it.vv

04-1.jpg

05-1.jpg

06-1.jpg

This one looks pretty funky, but it has got to be the softest hat I've ever felt. Sooo soft.vv

07-1.jpg

08-1.jpg

This one is another really soft hat and it's also really light so won't be too hot on those hot Hawaii days :)

09-1.jpg

10-1.jpg

:crocheting

great hats and a great cause. are you making them up as you go or have some fav pattern? I made one for an elderly lady i know, it was really thick and warm for the winter but i should be making her some thinner ones now and cant decide what to do. tfs, it gave me some good ideas too!!

:manyheart No need to be gentle with you, you've done a fantastic job. I also make a lot of chemo caps and you can take my word for it, these will be well loved. You're doing a wonderful thing in your mother's memory. If you have a little yarn leftover you can also make chemo caps for the children's ward, just use a smaller hook or make fewer rounds. Those are always needed too.

Keep up the good work. It will make you feel so good when you take them to the hospital! ~ Deb

great hats and a great cause. are you making them up as you go or have some fav pattern? I made one for an elderly lady i know, it was really thick and warm for the winter but i should be making her some thinner ones now and cant decide what to do. tfs, it gave me some good ideas too!!

When I had bought the yarn from the girl, I got around 80 balls of all different colors and types. I'm lucky if I have two that are the same. So I just pick out two that I like and sort of play it by ear. I think I used patterns on 2 or 3 of them, but a lot of times I kind of start a pattern then go my own way since the yarn type won't work out with it. The only one I know that I used and stuck with was the addison hat, though I know it's kinda holey for a chemo hat, but the yarn is kinda fuzzy and I think would be ok. I've printed out a few of the headhugger patterns and will prob try a few of those out too. :)

Thanks for the kind words everyone! I figure after June I'll keep making them and then in December I'll give them out to another place. Because of Schmetterling's post in the charity forum - http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=80410 - next I want to give some to the Neurosurgeon that did my mom's brain biopsy for his patients.

You are a wonderful daughter!!!! Each and every hat is beautiful!!!! You do lovely work and all your creations will make someone happy. You will be blessed for the work you do.

[ So I just pick out two that I like and sort of play it by ear. I think I used patterns on 2 or 3 of them, but a lot of times I kind of start a pattern then go my own way since the yarn type won't work out with it. The only one I know that I used and stuck with was the addison hat, though I know it's kinda holey for a chemo hat, but the yarn is kinda fuzzy and I think would be ok. I've printed out a few of the headhugger patterns and will prob try a few of those out too. :)

Thanks! I pretty much make up most hats as i go, too. Just started on last night actually.

Keep up the good work!!

What a touching story - and your hats are beautiful!! I'm sure that everyone who receives your hats will love them. You are doing a fabulous job - I'm always amazed by the talent of new crocheters who post on this board. It took me such a long time [years!] to feel confident with it, so I'm in awe of what great work you're already doing!! My favorite one is the cream-colored one with the pink/multi edging, but I love them all!!

Archived