yarn substitution?

Guest mishakitty78

Question

Guest mishakitty78

So I'm thinking about making the Open Fan Cardigan in the Interweave Crochet magazine, but I realized that it's made in wool and erk! I'm allergic. I can work with it, and felt it, but just can't wear it :(

Are there any yarns that could be substituted? Anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking maybe any super thick yarn, but I usually use what's recommended in a pattern so I don't know what to do. Help! :eek2

Melissa

(Thanks in advance!)

7 answers to this question

that yarn is very thick .. my substitution if you were going to do anything else that doesnt contain wool it would be maybe the jiffy thick and quick or the thick and quick chenille (although you may not be able to see your pattern as much as if you used a non textured yarn) or maybe two stands of homespun held together or patons makes a thick one..melody i think is the name of it ..

I haven't used the yarn they call for in the pattern, so I'm not familiar with it and I don't know exactly how thick it is. Threeolive's suggestions are good. You could hold together two or three strands of almost any yarn. Just swatch to see if you can get the right gauge.

Guest mishakitty78

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I was thinking of the wool ease, but again I think that might bother me too. I can do wool in hats, but things that might actually touch skin is not a good idea.

I was thinking about the Paton's too, but NO ONE sells it here! Argh! JoAnn's just started carrying one color of vodoo, a few mosaic and one other one - I used the mosaic in a scarf - very nice! But I can't get Melody. I ordered some for a dance costume, but it's earmarked for that and can't be sacrificed :faint Soooo I suppose I'll either have to order some or see what I can find at my LYS.

I will definitely let everyone know, though, what I wind up doing. Hopefully I'll be able to score some Melody - I think that will probably work best.

Archived