Disappointed with Herrschners Afghan kit

Tampa Doll

I purchased an afghan kit from herrschners called Anastasia. It is a very lacy and pretty afghan. Along with the yarn and pattern, you get a pattern book called 2008 Award Winning Afghans.

I was going to make it for Christmas for my SIL. She likes browns and such, so I thought I would order the off white. Sounds good right? Not a bright white, but a nice soft white. Well the kits comes in and the color of yarn they sent is ugly. It is not off white. The label calls it cream, but it looks more like a dirty Ecru.

I am going to make the afghan, and hope it turns out, but I have my doubts. Dh told me to order another, but what if the next color comes in not nice either, then I am stuck with 2.

Oh well, I just wanted to let you know, that for the price of $19.99 it is a good sale, but do not order the off white.

Here is the afghan http://www.herrschners.com/Product/Anastasia+Afghan+Crochet+Kit.aspx

I have looked at that afghan a couple times myself. I love it in the Red...can you maybe just use the pattern but use a different yarn? How many skeins came with it?

You get 15 skeins - 2 ozs each skein in a 2 ply afghan yarn. I just ordered it in burgundy. I am still going to make it in this color, as DH still is hoping it will look good. We will see.

I could make it with other yarn, but then I am stuck with the yarn they sen t me. Oh the burden we have to bear of having to keep the yarn.:ohdear:sigh

I would have sent it back for an exchange, as annoying and time consuming as that is. Hopefully the burgundy will work out better. That is a good price for the kit. Come to think of it, only $20 for the kit, you already paid shipping to you - if you would have sent it back, you could have almost gotten another afghan for what you pay in shipping charges!

Thanks for the warning...I was thinking of ordering that one. Perhaps I'll just order the 2008 Award Winning Afghans book instead and pick my own yarn.

Did they send a name-brand yarn, or theirs?

The brand of yarn they sent was theirs. I did not want to discourage anyone from buying th kit, I just wanted to warn you about the color off white.

You can tea dye the yarn for a nice consistent off white color. That is what I would probably do. I have made that afghan years ago in a country blue color.

Hope this helps

Here it is in te cream. I made it up for a wedding..

I love the red one though. May just have to do another one...:lol

th_44100182.jpg click-able.

I wish the cream I got looked this good. Today I am suppose to get the burgundy one. I do hope this color is better. I will still be making the other, and I will show it to you when it is done.:hook

This is in regards to the Anastasia afghan I ordered from Herrschners. Good price for the kit? Remember it's only 2-ply yarn. Also, the first paragraph of the instructions state that included is the original 4 ply booklet. There is no booklet and no color photo of the finished afghan. I emailed Herrschners 3/14/09 and received no reply. Today, I emailed them again asking if I can download a color photo or even buy a color photo. The response was that the book is not available for download. I have found this company to be slow to respond, short and a tad on the snippy side. I responded back that if I can't get a color photo of the finished afghan, I will return the kit. My husband had similar issues over Christmas when making a purchase from them.

I got the second kit, and the color is more to my liking. The second one is burgundy and it is a nice rich color.

I have started the original one, and DH and I have a discussion everytime I pick it up, that he is right and it will be georgeous.

The book I got with the kit is 2008 Award winning afghans.

They are a little better than some places I have to deal with, but they do have a tendency to take a while to answer an e-mail.

Will post when done.:hook

Here it is in te cream. I made it up for a wedding..

I love the red one though. May just have to do another one...:lol

th_44100182.jpg

This is absolutely beautiful!

Do I understand correctly that the afghan is worked using one strand of 2 ply yarn? I'm wondering what the other afghans look like in the book, would it be better to buy the book or kit. I've never used their yarn and don't know how good it is.

Archived