To block or not to block

mathwizard

To block or not to block that is the question? I really prefer my doilies to have the natural look and I don't call it floppy. They lay flat and look nice to me. Now I do block snowflakes and Christmas decorations because they won't look right on the tree but that is all I block. I have only done a couple of filet projects but those I did block so the picture was more visible. But generally I don't block my thread creations. Natural is nice!!!!:cheer

I'm a blocker (blockhead? :lol) You can block without starching them if you like them more 'natural'...I just use a light spray starch on a wet doily, then roll it in a towel to get the moisture out (and probably some starch as well), so mine have a little body but they're not stiff.

I like to block mine so the circles are round, the lines are straight, and the angles are all heading in the right directions (I make templates to pin them to). Some patterns are lumpy/ruffled until they're blocked--a little TOO natural for me. Other patterns don't need much persuasion to 'behave'.

I'm a blocker. Hubby thinks I'm nuts that I use so many pins. I'm just starting to get into ironing.

My grandmother taught me to starch and iron but her doilies were already decades into remaining and retaining their shape. Eventually, they'll become the form we block them into. At that point they really don't need much help at all.

I block, but don't starch. This backfired recently when I blocked my latest huge painted doily. I want to frame it, but it can't get it to work as it is (too soft/floppy), so I'm going to have to block again with starch...but this is a special case.

I have occasionally made doilies that laid flat and didn't need much in the way of blocking, but most of mine really need to be wet and pinned in order to look and lay correctly.

I'm a shorcut blocker. I use my doilies and with 3 dogs and a 6 year old kid, my house is how shall I say used hard. This includes the doilies, so I need to wash them more often than most people. Thus I spray starch and/or spray sizing them and iron. This stiffens them enough to lay flat and hold their shape.

I do starch angels, snowflakes, baskets and the like but those have to be to hold any type of shape. Believe me I tried to just spray starch.

I haven't made any raised flower doilies yet but you could still iron them very carefully.

Some items definately require starching, others you can get away with the short cut method.

Hope this helps,

TLOL,

Toni

I think I am the lazy one here. I dont pin, strech, starch them. All I do is iron from center to edge (from the wrong side) O.K. I confess i do everything to avoid pinning -streching and starching.so I dont make snowflakes and 3 D angels (only flat angels)

Demet

I block all my doilies. If I put that much work into it I want it to be shown off to it's best advantage. I normally don't use spray starch on most of my doilies, but will lightly spray some of them if I think the doily will look best with a little more body.

I used to iron them. But it's too hard on the fibers and shortens the life of the doily.

• 2 months later...

I understand not starching or pinning doilies...maybe a bit of ironing.

for snowflakes, I use diluted elmer's and then add sprinkles, white or silver,

but for my curtains, since they don't get washed as often as doilies,

I pin them using a large piece of styrofoam insulation (it's about 2" thick)

and great for using quilting pins. Otherwise the curtains curl at the edges and

looks really tacky. So in essence, I think it depends on the project.

~Ann

@>-,---

• 1 month later...

I wash mine in a drop of shampoo, stretch them into shape on a towel, press all the picots etc into place with my fingers, and leave them to dry. It is sort of halfway between not blocking at all, and full-strength blocking.

• 3 weeks later...

I like the sound of the in between. I've been looking for the best method. I just started thread doilies and have several ready and waiting. I just didn't know which way to go. They look ok now, but I think the stitch definition would really pop with a little work.

I don't usually block but I will if it does give the piece more shape. So in the instance I am a in between and do agree with Katchkan about showing to the best advantage.:crocheting

Archived