Seeking slipper pattern to cover foot cast

Ruthie629

Question

Hi Everyone: I am desperately looking for a slipper that works up pretty fast, that will cover my grandson foot cast, as all the socks we have are are not stretching over the cast to keep his tootsies warm. He was running around the school yard at recess and his foot went into a snow hole and he has cracked the growth plate in the foot.

So all your help will be greatly appreciated.

8 answers to this question

Ouch! :snow

How about a hat that you keep crocheting the 'sides' until you get it as long as you need it?

It would basically be an oversized tube sock. Do it in single crochet so it is solid and warm! Then when you pull it on over his cast, just roll/fold down the top end of the 'hat' to where you want it. The roughness of the cast should keep it from slipping easily.

This pattern works up quickly - I am thinking more of the way the slipper is made rather than the specific pattern

http://www.garnstudio.com/lang/en/visoppskrift.php?d_nr=98&d_id=7〈=en

And you can skip all the fluffy bits

This pattern is also very quick to make up

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=66804&highlight=slippers

I made one of these to cover my son's cast a few years back.....you just have to make the different adjustments because the cast is soooo much bigger than just a foot!

http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/menslippers.html

Hope your grandson is feeling better soon!

This is my own pattern, used worsted weight and an h hook for an adult, so might have to use a smaller hook for a child size. Join each row with a slip stitch

Cast cover

1.Chain 7, sc in 2nd ch from hook for 5 stitches, 3 sc in end stitch,

sc in next 5 on opposite side of chain, 3 in last chain, 16 sc

2.Sc in each stitch around, three in each end, 20 sc

3.Sc in each stitch around. 20 sc

4.Hdc in each stitch, 3 in each end, 24

5-8. repeat row 4, 36 stitches

9-16. Hdc around for the next 15 rows. Cut yarn, weave in ends

I have no idea how to write a pattern, but this is a general idea.

Hi Everyone: Thank you for the great suggestions. I managed to make the short toe cover for the cast from Bev's country crochet. I could not see me making just one slipper, and waste all that yarn, hahaha.

I've seen a slipper pattern where you crochet a rectangle in back loops only then fold in half long-ways. Sew up one end for the back and at the other end stitch across the top and then gather at that end--voila a slipper. You can make a bigger version for the foot that's in a cast. Hope I'm making sense. Don't remember where I've seen the actual pattern but I think you can get the general idea from my rambling. Good luck.

Which pattern did you use? The one I posted from Bev's site.

Carol:hook

Hi Everyone: Thank you for the great suggestions. I managed to make the short toe cover for the cast from Bev's country crochet. I could not see me making just one slipper, and waste all that yarn, hahaha.

Archived