Colors bled, blanket ruined?

I am sick. I crocheted DS a giant granny blanket as a gift for when I go into labor with his little sister. Somethign he could cuddle while mama's away.

I used Cascade 220 Superwash in lots of colors.

Wash according to instructions and it looks HORRIBLE. The red bled all over the other colors. It looks dirty and gross and pink.

So. I've tried multiple washings. I've tried the dharma trading version of synthrapol (special detergent that's suppposed to release excess dye). It in the wash with both the synthrapol knock-off AND an entire box of color catcher sheets right now.

I'm expecting it to felt at any moment with all the washings.

It's just looking worse and worse.

What can I do???

I have some scraps soaking in Oxyclean to see if it's safe for wool....getting desperate.

DS will not like a pink blanket. :( I put tons of work into the thing.

I've contacted Cascade and they suggested the synthrapol and color catchers sheets.

At a loss now.

I know what you are feeling. My daughter crocheted a flag afghan for her husband who is depolyed in Iraq and the red stripes bled onto the white stripes making the white pink. She was in tears when she called me after she washed it.

Thankfully, her dh loved it anyhow!

She tried just about everything and nothing would get it out.

So Sorry...

Well, it's ruined. It's now starting to felt and looks just horrible. I'm giving up. Going to dry it and mourn it's loss.

I AM SO ******.

This stupid blanket was supposed to be a special thing I gave to DS and was planning on adding onto as he grew...

awwwwwwwwwwww im so sorry that happened i bet hes going to love it anyway hang in there it happened for a reason what that reason is im sure is not clear but everything happens for a reason good or bad chin up i bet he treasures it for a long time

• 2 weeks later...
I don't think I can stand to give it to him. I hate it. I burst out in tears every time I look at it (I've mentioned I'm pregnant, right?)

did you say you were having a little girl? can you give it to her and make him another blanket with NO light colors in it? I'm so sorry for your blankie loss. :( I would cry too.

oh I am so sorry to hear this!! How about dying it one color and later making him a blanket when the new baby is there and letting him help pick colors etc so he knows you are still doing things for him too (not that you wouldn't be but you know how little minds work)

I'd read about some of the colors bleeding on Ravelry. :( That is not cheap yarn. Thanks for the tip off because I'm def going to steer clear of it now, especially the red which seems to be the biggest problem. :hug

How about letting it continue to felt and maybe tie-dyeing it various colors - like a wild color blanket - I bet he would like that.

So sorry about the blankie, but maybe this would help :hug.

Don't cry over this, it's just a waste of pregnancy hormones.....yes, it's pretty much a lost cause. Superwashed wool is not suppose to felt. If you have a pet, let this finish felting and use it as a pet bed. Do you have the yarn and enough time to make DS a special stuffed bear/monkey/rabbit/animal for the big occasion?

How about letting it continue to felt and maybe tie-dyeing it various colors - like a wild color blanket - I bet he would like that.

So sorry about the blankie, but maybe this would help :hug.

I agree! Maybe you could let him choose colors or even help with the dyeing process. That way he would be included and would know that he helped Mommy make his special blanket!

Archived